Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.giveusahome.co.uk/articles/vegetarianism.htm

ReputationRep:
    Quorn - what is the point?

If you want to be a vegetarian i don't get why in the hell people eat quorn. It just proves that you like meat and shouldn't have given it up in the first place!

If you want to be a veggie, do it. You shouldn't need justification from others to do so. Personally, as someone who's parents rely on people eating meat to make a living, i do not agree with vegetarianism personally, but if you want to do it do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamyeyed)
    Quorn - what is the point?

If you want to be a vegetarian i don't get why in the hell people eat quorn. It just proves that you like meat and shouldn't have given it up in the first place!
    Right, because not liking meat is the only reason to stop eating it, yeah?

It makes it easier for people who want to stop eating meat to do it, that's the point. Personally I could never be bothered with it when I did, but if it helps others, I don't have a problem with that.

ReputationRep:
    At least do it properly and become a vegan. Vegetarianism on the grounds of moral scruples is a 'pat on the back' which makes people feel as if they are really doing something to help animals when really they could be doing much more. It's kind of like the people who put 20p in charity boxes when they can afford a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    At least do it properly and become a vegan. Vegetarianism on the grounds of moral scruples is a 'pat on the back' which makes people feel as if they are really doing something to help animals when really they could be doing much more. It's kind of like the people who put 20p in charity boxes when they can afford a lot more.
    A lot of people, even vegetarian, are completely oblivious to how bad the dairy market is. It's easy to not know too, it's hardly advertised or anything, and Vegan's too small a movement to catch most people's attention, not to mention it comes across as incredibly awkward. I know when I've said to vegetarians about it they can wonder how I manage it because it sounds so difficult to do.

Still, just got to give it the same attitude you do the people who put in 20p. Sure could be doing more, but it's better than nothing so can't complain.

ReputationRep:
    DEAR LORD. I stopped it after 3 seconds. That's how sensitive I am to it. I just saw the chickens and was like FFFUUUUUUUU.....

(Original post by Jamiesonn)
    People who are vegetarian are just missing out in my opinion
    Haha I quote Frankie Boyle: "Yes there is a vegetarian option.. you can F**K OFF!" xD

(Original post by Pentachoron)
    Would that pang of guilt be less affecting if the 'piggies' in question had not played out their subsistence on this earth running through fields but in a mobility/light-reducing environment for meat processing?

I'm a veggie but only because I convinced myself at a young age. It wouldn't be perforce to try now; after all, I don't agree at all with the way meat is processed.
    Aw man have you seen this website? I'm completely against battery farming anyway but then I had McD's chicken nuggets the other day and felt SO BAD afterwards.. http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/

(Original post by Genocidal)
    Not really. It has no real effect. Unless we somehow run out of meat then it will always be the same as populations grow, I would say even more meat is being eaten than ever due to this.

In regards to human meat. Meh, meat is meat, life is life.
    Yes that's why we need to counteract it! Also... you frighten me :^_^:

(Original post by Aurora.)
    Surely if it feels like eating human meat, you don't need anyone on here to convince you?
    I think it's more the peer pressure, you know, of my friends eating meat all the time, it kinda buffers the guilt in a way..

ReputationRep:
    HOLY CRAP. That's rather an eye opener, assuming it's not been exaggerated?

Ah in an ideal world I would be vegan, but dairy products I could NOT live without... I mean, no cheese, no egg, no daily ready brek, no tea (I don't like it without milk), no cake, no milk chocolate... I would just die Do you think it would be a good idea for me to get my own chickens and obtain my eggs from them, and get my milk from the farm in my village? Where I know the animals are treated correctly?

ReputationRep:
    As a vegetarian myself, I wouldn't try to convince anyone to give up meat. What others eat is none of my damn business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    DEAR LORD. I stopped it after 3 seconds. That's how sensitive I am to it. I just saw the chickens and was like FFFUUUUUUUU.....
    Watch the whole thing. My boyfriend showed me this vid (and others) before I was a veggie and I just spent the duration crying, it's so saddening to see stuff like that. But more importantly, you get to know what really goes on in farms and how the animals are really treated. I hate to scare you, but it gets a lot worse.. :/.

ReputationRep:
    They could also put nothing at all in the box, it swings both ways.

Anyway OP if you want to give up meat on the grounds of the poor ickle cute piggies/lambs/cows/chicken etc etc then get some self discipline and do it. At the moment your procrastinating because you lack the courage of your convictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    Anyway OP if you want to give up meat on the grounds of the poor ickle cute piggies/lambs/cows/chicken etc etc then get some self discipline and do it. At the moment your procrastinating because you lack the courage of your convictions.
    Hey don't patronise me It's not cause I find them cute necessarily, it's more the fact that I've always been passionate about other creatures, I NEVER kill them, not even flies (except I have to kill wasps at work otherwise they sting the customers).

But I tend to talk myself out of things, like the arguments which are like "a lot of animals would never have even been born if it wasnt for our demand for meat, and they are killed quickly and humanely, surely it's better to give them a good life than none at all?" and then I get confused, my mind is too open.

ReputationRep:
    Hey don't patronise me It's not cause I find them cute necessarily, it's more the fact that I've always been passionate about other creatures, I NEVER kill them, not even flies (except I have to kill wasps at work otherwise they sting the customers).

But I tend to talk myself out of things, like the arguments which are like "a lot of animals would never have even been born if it wasnt for our demand for meat, and they are killed quickly and humanely, surely it's better to give them a good life than none at all?" and then I get confused, my mind is too open.
    Your choices are simple do or do not.

You need to weigh up whether you want to or dont. You say you ahve an open mind yet in actual fact it sounds more like you are just indecisive.

ReputationRep:
    It's not exactly difficult...

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't need to be forced.

I've been a veggie & am now a non-veggie so I'm one of those weird people who go the other way around. In regards to guilt I try and buy good quality meat, eggs and milk from places where the animals aren't tortured but it's hard.

Very hard.

ReputationRep:
    Your choices are simple do or do not.

You need to weigh up whether you want to or dont. You say you ahve an open mind yet in actual fact it sounds more like you are just indecisive.
    Well of course I want to, that's why I set up the thread. But desire does not always lead to action. Tbh there isn't really an answer as to whether going veggie is better or worse for animals, which is where the problem lies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    You shouldn't need to be forced.

I've been a veggie & am now a non-veggie so I'm one of those weird people who go the other way around. In regards to guilt I try and buy good quality meat, eggs and milk from places where the animals aren't tortured but it's hard.

Very hard.
    Why did you give up being vegetarian, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Well of course I want to, that's why I set up the thread. But desire does not always lead to action. Tbh there isn't really an answer as to whether going veggie is better or worse for animals, which is where the problem lies...
    in that case ignore that side and simply weigh up the pros and cons as to whether you want to start that eating lifestyle. Boil it down to its black and white

ReputationRep:
    in that case ignore that side and simply weigh up the pros and cons as to whether you want to start that eating lifestyle. Boil it down to its black and white
    Ok well it would help me lose weight and clear away my dissonance, and well it would just feel right to me... The only cons are selfish ones like, aw man no more fish with my chips! So... Ok I think I'll go for it!

Thanks for your help btw, you remind me of a friend of mine...

ReputationRep:
    Ok well it would help me lose weight and clear away my dissonance, and well it would just feel right to me... The only cons are selfish ones like, aw man no more fish with my chips! So... Ok I think I'll go for it!

Thanks for your help btw, you remind me of a friend of mine...
    There you go, better health and weight loss. Sorted
    The cons are purely down to self discipline

and in what way do i remind you?

ReputationRep:
    There you go, better health and weight loss. Sorted
    The cons are purely down to self discipline

and in what way do i remind you?
    Ah just the name, the avatar, the direct way of speaking, the online presence... Tell me, are you Chinese?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.