Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Why did you give up being vegetarian, if you don't mind me asking?
    Well I kept wondering what meat tasted like. So I tried some of this delicious breaded chicken my flatmate kindly made and it went from there. After being a veggie for so long I couldn't eat meat often and I don't eat it often now. I can barely handle (I mean prepare) raw meat..... :eek: it's just urgh, but I can eat it so I'm a big hypocrite.

I think the turning point was that I enjoyed the taste and that as long as I try and be as responsible as I can I could still eat it.

It's a confusing mess in my head I can assure you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    You shouldn't. Their fate remains the same whether you eat them personally or not.
    Oh, the old "one vote doesn't matter" argument. Patently false.

ReputationRep:
    Ah just the name, the avatar, the direct way of speaking, the online presence... Tell me, are you Chinese?
    nope - Irish lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Well I kept wondering what meat tasted like. So I tried some of this delicious breaded chicken my flatmate kindly made and it went from there. After being a veggie for so long I couldn't eat meat often and I don't eat it often now. I can barely handle (I mean prepare) raw meat..... :eek: it's just urgh, but I can eat it so I'm a big hypocrite.

I think the turning point was that I enjoyed the taste and that as long as I try and be as responsible as I can I could still eat it.

It's a confusing mess in my head I can assure you.
    Ahh, well at least you were veggie for some of your life and you don't eat much... Some people just ravage as much cheap meat as they can and always have done, so really don't get too hung up on it, you're not a bad person

(Original post by silverbolt)
    nope - Irish lol
    Do you have the accent? :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't. Their fate remains the same whether you eat them personally or not.
    Not really, by reason of supply and demand an increase in vegetarians will create less supply, hence less murder.

I've been vegetarian for a while now, it's really surprising how easy it is, i barely miss meat to be honest.

If you want reasoning veggie society is really quite convincing, other than that there's lots of ethical arguments on the internet.

http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=600

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the accent? :sexface:
    yep heh heh

(Original post by wilson_smith)
    Not really, by reason of supply and demand an increase in vegetarians will create less supply, hence less murder.

I've been vegetarian for a while now, it's really surprising how easy it is, i barely miss meat to be honest.

If you want reasoning veggie society is really quite convincing, other than that there's lots of ethical arguments on the internet.

http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=600
    But surely the massive and constant increase in population outweighs that of new vegetarians?

And i'll be honest I don't eat mass amounts of meat and fish, I only eat certain things like bacon, haddock, cod and sausagaes.

ReputationRep:
    But surely the massive and constant increase in population outweighs that of new vegetarians?

And i'll be honest I don't eat mass amounts of meat and fish, I only eat certain things like bacon, haddock, cod and sausagaes.
    Probably (although meat consumption in LEDCs is typically far lower than our own), but by reason of market forces the vegetarian constituency, which isn't insignificant, will lessen the size of the meat industry than if they were of a typical omnivourous dietrary regime. Just because it is somewhat offset by a counteracting force doesn't make it pointless or diminish the its worth.

ReputationRep:
    HOLY CRAP. That's rather an eye opener, assuming it's not been exaggerated?

Ah in an ideal world I would be vegan, but dairy products I could NOT live without... I mean, no cheese, no egg, no daily ready brek, no tea (I don't like it without milk), no cake, no milk chocolate... I would just die Do you think it would be a good idea for me to get my own chickens and obtain my eggs from them, and get my milk from the farm in my village? Where I know the animals are treated correctly?
    I make my porraidge with water ^ ^ You could always use soy milk? And you can get vegan chocolate :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    At least do it properly and become a vegan. Vegetarianism on the grounds of moral scruples is a 'pat on the back' which makes people feel as if they are really doing something to help animals when really they could be doing much more. It's kind of like the people who put 20p in charity boxes when they can afford a lot more.
    Personally I'd rather a lot of people gave 20p to charities, than a few people giving more and everyone else not giving anything. Same principle applies to vegan/vegetarianism. A vegan diet is quite daunting, would you rather people who would potentially become vegetarian only be carnivores or vegan? There's nothing wrong with being in the middle, every little helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judgejohndeed)
    Personally I'd rather a lot of people gave 20p to charities, than a few people giving more and everyone else not giving anything. Same principle applies to vegan/vegetarianism. A vegan diet is quite daunting, would you rather people who would potentially become vegetarian only be carnivores or vegan? There's nothing wrong with being in the middle, every little helps!
    Whoa this is an old thread... I didn't become vegetarian in the end but my meat eating has been cut down to the minimum possible. See my problem with being vegan is that I could raise a cow or a chicken and milk it or take its eggs and eat them, that's fine. But to kill the animal itself and eat it would just feel barbaric and terrible! They're totally different things to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamyeyed)
    Quorn - what is the point?

If you want to be a vegetarian i don't get why in the hell people eat quorn. It just proves that you like meat and shouldn't have given it up in the first place!

If you want to be a veggie, do it. You shouldn't need justification from others to do so. Personally, as someone who's parents rely on people eating meat to make a living, i do not agree with vegetarianism personally, but if you want to do it do it.
    There's a particular quality I dislike about meat which is the sort of 'gaminess' and 'iron' kind of flavour. Quorn is void of this for obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Whoa this is an old thread... I didn't become vegetarian in the end but my meat eating has been cut down to the minimum possible. See my problem with being vegan is that I could raise a cow or a chicken and milk it or take its eggs and eat them, that's fine. But to kill the animal itself and eat it would just feel barbaric and terrible! They're totally different things to me.

Sorry I didn't realise, it came up on the side! yeah I agree, animal byproducts where the animals are treated fairly etc seem fine to me...like I'd never eat battery eggs and the like

ReputationRep:
    Whoa this is an old thread... I didn't become vegetarian in the end but my meat eating has been cut down to the minimum possible.See my problem with being vegan is that I could raise a cow or a chicken and milk it or take its eggs and eat them, that's fine. But to kill the animal itself and eat it would just feel barbaric and terrible! They're totally different things to me.
    That is not how the egg and dairy industries work. They are barbaric and cruel and animals are killed in them every day. It may be possible to raise animals and use animal products in a caring way, but since that is not the case for the milk and eggs found in the products we consume, it's a moot point.

ReputationRep:
    The dairy industry is barbaric though.

They kill all male calves usually within hours of birth or they are sent to veal farms so the milk that was meant for the calf can be bottled for human consumption.
    The female cows are inseminated to be made pregnant and once they are exhausted from multiple pregnancy/not producing enough milk - they are slaughtered.

You really cannot separate dairy and slaughter. It just isn't possible.

The egg industry isn't much better either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_smile)
    The dairy industry is barbaric though.

They kill all male calves usually within hours of birth or they are sent to veal farms so the milk that was meant for the calf can be bottled for human consumption.
    The female cows are inseminated to be made pregnant and once they are exhausted from multiple pregnancy/not producing enough milk - they are slaughtered.

You really cannot separate dairy and slaughter. It just isn't possible.

The egg industry isn't much better either.
    Yes but these animals surely wouldn't be slaughtered or sent off to veal farms if there was no meat industry, if you get my meaning?

Also I heard that milk was obtained from most cows through them being fed a hormone that makes them produce milk without having to have a pregnancy. And I only buy free range eggs

ReputationRep:
    Yes but these animals surely wouldn't be slaughtered or sent off to veal farms if there was no meat industry, if you get my meaning?

Also I heard that milk was obtained from most cows through them being fed a hormone that makes them produce milk without having to have a pregnancy. And I only buy free range eggs
    How is it acceptable to feed cows hormones which leave them in a constant state of artificial pregnancy and extract their milk? Can you imagine the hormonal imbalances of pregnancy your entire life? Is that not suffering? And male cows are not killed for meat, if the veal industry did not exist then male calves would still be killed because they don't present any financial incentive if they can't produce milk. That is what happens when a society treats animals as though they are objects, if they don't fulfill a certain purpose then they are discarded. And what does it matter if you only buy free range eggs when you purchase foods with eggs listed as ingredients? Big companies don't use free range eggs in their foods, they use battery hens to reduce costs. The only time you eat an egg product which is free range is when you buy fresh eggs themselves. And what does free range even mean? Do you know the definition of free range? Free range does not mean that chickens are not debeaked with a hot blade. Free range does not mean that male chicks are not slaughtered at birth and crushed because they don't lay eggs. Free range does not mean that hens are not starved to stimulate their laying cycle.

Vegetarians are delusional people who don't make the connections between their eating habits and the cruelty behind them because they don't want to. There is nothing humane about the creation of any animal products.

ReputationRep:
    I could point you in the direction of various terrible videos/information sources/whatever, but instead I'm just going to say:

If you feel guilty, why not feel less-guilty at least some of the time by having vegetarian meals, even if you don't have the willpower to become a full-time veggie. Not eating meat for even one dinner a week is still an achievement.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry! I only just saw the age of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    How is it acceptable to feed cows hormones which leave them in a constant state of artificial pregnancy and extract their milk? Can you imagine the hormonal imbalances of pregnancy your entire life? Is that not suffering? And male cows are not killed for meat, if the veal industry did not exist then male calves would still be killed because they don't present any financial incentive if they can't produce milk. That is what happens when a society treats animals as though they are objects, if they don't fulfill a certain purpose then they are discarded. And what does it matter if you only buy free range eggs when you purchase foods with eggs listed as ingredients? Big companies don't use free range eggs in their foods, they use battery hens to reduce costs. The only time you eat an egg product which is free range is when you buy fresh eggs themselves. And what does free range even mean? Do you know the definition of free range? Free range does not mean that chickens are not debeaked with a hot blade. Free range does not mean that male chicks are not slaughtered at birth and crushed because they don't lay eggs. Free range does not mean that hens are not starved to stimulate their laying cycle.

Vegetarians are delusional people who don't make the connections between their eating habits and the cruelty behind them because they don't want to. There is nothing humane about the creation of any animal products.
    I was going to just let this be, but I object to being called delusional. There is cruelty behind almost every human activity, that is something practically impossible to escape from, and taking a small step towards being less of a part of that cruelty makes you in no way delusional. I would kill myself if I ever had to become vegan, dairy products are too much of a part of my life.

ReputationRep:
    If this is a serious thread and you are seriously considering giving up meat, then I suggest you just look at; http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMP...aughter/ALL///

as well as AnimalAid's other campaigns. The dairy industry is just as barbaric. After watching and researching AnimalAid's campaigns, I became a vegan.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.