Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My mum never took my veganism seriously so after she knowingly gave me egg pasta but told me it was vegan (it's weird how obviously the taste of egg stands out when you haven't eaten it for a while) I just decided to cook my own meals. My family all eats **** ready meals anway so it was for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)
    You see, I do most of the cooking in the house...

Yep, I know there are plenty of dairy-free alternatives.. I used most of the ones you've listed while I was vegan

As for eggs.. Yeah I have a problem with eggs, regardless of free-range or not.. Free-range is hardly better than battery... I can't be bothered to type it all out but if you're interested this is pretty good: http://www.viva.org.uk/campaigns/chickens/index.html
    Haha sorry didn't realise you were a vegan

How about eggs from chickens in your back yard? Might get some...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    My mum never took my veganism seriously so after she knowingly gave me egg pasta but told me it was vegan (it's weird how obviously the taste of egg stands out when you haven't eaten it for a while) I just decided to cook my own meals. My family all eats **** ready meals anway so it was for the best.
    You were a Vegan... :curious:

Why did you say this on one of my threads then:
    Vegan Reich.
    It sounded like you were taking the mick...

ReputationRep:
    How vegans manage to get their intake of iron for hemoglobinum synthesis? Because meat is the main known source of iron for me.

ReputationRep:
    Well theres two types of iron, haem and non-haem. The first from animal meat and the second can be got from plants.

I got this from a vegan website-

There is no shortage of iron in plant foods. Pulses (peas, beans and lentils) and soya bean products (such as soya milk and tofu) provide an excellent source. As do dark green leafy vegetables (such as broccoli, pak choy and watercress), fortified breakfast cereals, wholegrains (such as wholemeal bread, brown rice and wholemeal pasta), dried fruits (such as raisins, prunes, apricots and figs) black treacle and plain dark chocolate.

I just eat loads of lentils, spinach and wholemeals. I'm still alive so hopefully its working!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg Griffin)
    Yes, 'veggie' means 'vegetarian', well done!

I am not prescribing vegetarianism in the slightest and would never do that. It's up to people what they want to eat and that's why I'm more than happy to go to steakhouses with my boyfriend and go to BBQs and watch people engage in meat eating without me uttering a single word.

What I meant about 'fat clogging up arteries' (if you had let me explain without jumping down my throat) is that although other fats can clog your arteries, animal fat is the worst and obviously if you're veggie or vegan you won't have any animal fat in your body in the first place to actually clog your arteries. Please refer to this site and everything will be explained if you can't be bothered to find things out yourself.

Toodles
    Firstly, nutritional science is in it's infancy when you realise that the amount of research done into nutrition is far from adequate. There isn't money in it, which is probably why not much research is done on the subject.

Secondly, being a meat eater does not mean that you will have fat clogging up your arteries. Of course that can be the case, but if someone just replaces all the meat in their diet with cheese then the same fat types will be present in their diet.
    Even then though, it's dependent on their life style and their particular diet.

I shouldn't have had to jump down your throat in the first place, the statement should have been clarified within the post. You didn't do that and as a result you look[ed] like an idiot.

And of course there's a prescription in what you said, the prescription is "if you don't want fat clogging up your arteries be a vegetarian".
    I've already pointed out the absurdity in that, and how anyone making that claim would either have to be ill informed or/& inept at critical thinking.

The idea of linking vegetarianism to lower weight, as opposed to vegetarians to lower weight, is ridiculous. Being vegetarian doesn't lower your weight as that article implies. The fact that vegetarians in our society don't *TEND* to be fat is not necessarily related to vegetarianism, but THEIR vegetarianism.

The very idea that an argument for vegetarianism linked to health could be successfully articulated in anything less than tens of thousands of words is ludicrous. It's a complicated issue. This bull****ty "one size fits all" approach only leads to spreading more, you guessed it, ignorance.

What you linked me to is an article that makes unfounded assumptions.

But if that wasn't bad enough, the article even says mid way through the second paragraph:
    "What we mean is the person who is eating lots of vegetables prepared in healthy fats".
    They don't even mean be a vegetarian, what they mean is limit animal produce.

This is inconsistent with the statement you made.

Now lastly, you're trying to make this into some battle of tolerance?
    Okay, you win at that. I wouldn't be happy going to a carvery, I'm not happy when someone is roasting meat, nor frying it. I find the smell of meat revolting. Maybe that's related to my sense of smell being different, maybe it's because I link it to something I can't stand. Who knows if it's psychological or physiological. Moreover, who cares?

I also don't see the relevance of your claim that "it's up to [I presume your argument is in fact "it ought to be up to", and you're making a prescriptive rather than descriptive statement] people what they want eat".

I'm also putting want in bold, because the word changes what the apparent meaning of what you put up. So I'm guessing you're actually trying to say is that "people ought to be able to eat what they want to eat" rather than "simply "it's upto people what they want to eat".

Of course I'm not in favor of the thought police, we should have freedom of thought and expression. But I don't agree with the idea that people should be able to eat what they want to. I doubt you're in favor of the legalisation of killing humans if other humans want to eat them.

So even then we need to make a further clarification of what you probably mean:
    "It should and is legally up to people to decide if they're going to kill animals and eat them, or pay people for the service of killing animals so that the animals can be eaten."

I still don't agree, I don't think people should be able to just kill animals to eat them in our society, where eating meat is not a necessity for most people (and for those who need meat to be healthy, I have my own solution, but that's not relevant to this thread).
    Why should they be able to just oppress animals. The reason I'm vegan is because I think killing animals arbitrarily is wrong. It's because I think most people in our society ought to be vegan. That's a prescription.

And whilst I don't think people should be forced to agree with me, I don't think they should be allowed to continue the practice of eating meat.

In the same way that I don't think women should be forced into marriage, but I don't think that people should have to agree with me, just that they shouldn't be allowed to force women (or anyone really, but men being forced into marriage doesn't really happen) into marriage.

In the same way that I don't think religious extremists should be allowed to blow people up, but I don't think they should be forced to agree that they shouldn't blow people up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    Well theres two types of iron, haem and non-haem. The first from animal meat and the second can be got from plants.

I got this from a vegan website-

There is no shortage of iron in plant foods. Pulses (peas, beans and lentils) and soya bean products (such as soya milk and tofu) provide an excellent source. As do dark green leafy vegetables (such as broccoli, pak choy and watercress), fortified breakfast cereals, wholegrains (such as wholemeal bread, brown rice and wholemeal pasta), dried fruits (such as raisins, prunes, apricots and figs) black treacle and plain dark chocolate.

I just eat loads of lentils, spinach and wholemeals. I'm still alive so hopefully its working!
    This will probably be useful to you.
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm
    Spoiler:
    Show

Also, here's something I wrote a couple of years ago:

iron:
    RDA:
    Age amount mg per day
    0-6 (months) 0.27
    7-12 (months) 11
    1-3 7
    4-8 10
    9-13 8
    14-18 males 11 women 15 pregnant 27 lactating 10
    19-50 males 8 women 18 pregnant 27 lactating 9
    51+ 8

Sources of tables: http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp#h8
    Iron is important for red blood cells which carry oxygen, as well as other things, around the body.
    Health effects:
    Too much iron can lead to being more susceptible to bacteria infections. Where as too little will lead to anaemia. Anaemia is the first sign of an iron deficiency, and is where the blood loses it’s iron, decreasing the amount of oxygen being carried around the body. Which as you can guess means vital organs lacking in oxygen; causing a lack of energy release in the body.
    Men tend to have more iron than women, especially if the woman is menstruating, pregnant or lactating.
    Stolen from Wikipedia:
    “Most of the iron in the body is hoarded and recycled by the reticuloendothelial system, which breaks down aged red blood cells. However, people lose a small but steady amount by sweating and by shedding cells of the skin and the mucosal lining of the gastrointestinal tract. The total amount of loss for healthy people in the developed world amounts to an estimated average of 1 mg a day for men, and 1.5–2 mg a day for women with regular menstrual periods. People in developing countries with gastrointestinal parasitic infections often lose more. [6]
    This steady loss means that people must continue to absorb iron. They do so via a tightly regulated process that under normal circumstances protects against iron overload.”
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_iron_metabolism#Absorbing_ iron_from_the_diet
    Spinach is harder to absorb from most vegetables and fruits instead of non vegan sources, however most should find with a healthy diet, they’ll be eating without trying, plenty of high iron foods.
    Sources for iron include:
    Kale, Spinach, broccoli, peas, pumpkin seeds, figs, dates, dried apricots and perhaps the best source, lentils.
    Absorption Inhibitors...
    Definitely: Red Wine, Coffee & Tea Whole grains and bran
    Apparently: Vegetables: Spinach, chard, beet greens, rhubarb and sweet potato Soy products.
    Absorption enhancers...
    Definitely:
    Fruits: Orange, Orange Juice, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapefruit etc
    Vegetables: Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, tomato, tomato juice, potato, green & red pepper.
    Apparently: White wine
    “Note on spinach:
    You do not need to give it up if you are a spinach lover! Simply eat spinach with any foods containing iron absorption enhancers.” (http://www.healthcastle.com/iron.shtml)
    The things written under “apparently” are from:
    http://www.healthcastle.com/iron.shtml

Things I want to find out but don’t know where to look:
    How long it usually takes for an iron deficiency to occur. How long it usually takes an iron deficiency to be cured.

If anyone see’s a flaw, or something that needs to be added, don’t hesitate to post. If anyone feels that a source is biased or incorrect, again, don’t hesitate to post. Although if you can, please find a better one.

Useful link:

ReputationRep:
    You were a Vegan... :curious:

Why did you say this on one of my threads then:

It sounded like you were taking the mick...
    I am still a vegan!

ReputationRep:
    Whether your a vegan or an omnivore you can be unhealthy. Its all about getting the right balance of nutrients. There is a common misconception that Veggies don't get enough protein. This is rubbish. In fact the average meat eating human doesn't get enough protein because they think by consuming meat thats enough. Being a veggie I have to actively seek and monitor my protein intake (by eathing chickpeas, lentils etc).

Also rejecting meat from you diet tends to be because of three reasons, religion, ethical reasons or health.

There is factual evidence that meat, dairy and eggs produces high levels of cholesterol in the body. Hence why people suffering from heart problems are advised to cut down on these significantly.

So its not down to preference of food, its down to self control and a balanced diet.

Congratulations on that? It really wasn't necessary and I wasn't disagreeing with any of what you said. All I said was that plenty of people who eat meat have healthy lifestyles. That is a FACT.

Thank you bye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    This will probably be useful to you.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Also, here's something I wrote a couple of years ago:

iron:
    RDA:
    Age amount mg per day
    0-6 (months) 0.27
    7-12 (months) 11
    1-3 7
    4-8 10
    9-13 8
    14-18 males 11 women 15 pregnant 27 lactating 10
    19-50 males 8 women 18 pregnant 27 lactating 9
    51+ 8

Sources of tables: http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp#h8
    Iron is important for red blood cells which carry oxygen, as well as other things, around the body.
    Health effects:
    Too much iron can lead to being more susceptible to bacteria infections. Where as too little will lead to anaemia. Anaemia is the first sign of an iron deficiency, and is where the blood loses it’s iron, decreasing the amount of oxygen being carried around the body. Which as you can guess means vital organs lacking in oxygen; causing a lack of energy release in the body.
    Men tend to have more iron than women, especially if the woman is menstruating, pregnant or lactating.
    Stolen from Wikipedia:
    “Most of the iron in the body is hoarded and recycled by the reticuloendothelial system, which breaks down aged red blood cells. However, people lose a small but steady amount by sweating and by shedding cells of the skin and the mucosal lining of the gastrointestinal tract. The total amount of loss for healthy people in the developed world amounts to an estimated average of 1 mg a day for men, and 1.5–2 mg a day for women with regular menstrual periods. People in developing countries with gastrointestinal parasitic infections often lose more. [6]
    This steady loss means that people must continue to absorb iron. They do so via a tightly regulated process that under normal circumstances protects against iron overload.”
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_iron_metabolism#Absorbing_ iron_from_the_diet
    Spinach is harder to absorb from most vegetables and fruits instead of non vegan sources, however most should find with a healthy diet, they’ll be eating without trying, plenty of high iron foods.
    Sources for iron include:
    Kale, Spinach, broccoli, peas, pumpkin seeds, figs, dates, dried apricots and perhaps the best source, lentils.
    Absorption Inhibitors...
    Definitely: Red Wine, Coffee & Tea Whole grains and bran
    Apparently: Vegetables: Spinach, chard, beet greens, rhubarb and sweet potato Soy products.
    Absorption enhancers...
    Definitely:
    Fruits: Orange, Orange Juice, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapefruit etc
    Vegetables: Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, tomato, tomato juice, potato, green & red pepper.
    Apparently: White wine
    “Note on spinach:
    You do not need to give it up if you are a spinach lover! Simply eat spinach with any foods containing iron absorption enhancers.” (http://www.healthcastle.com/iron.shtml)
    The things written under “apparently” are from:
    http://www.healthcastle.com/iron.shtml

Things I want to find out but don’t know where to look:
    How long it usually takes for an iron deficiency to occur. How long it usually takes an iron deficiency to be cured.

If anyone see’s a flaw, or something that needs to be added, don’t hesitate to post. If anyone feels that a source is biased or incorrect, again, don’t hesitate to post. Although if you can, please find a better one.

Useful link:
    Thanks Damn I thought Spinach was good enough on its own. Better get the red wine out then.

I am still a vegan!
    Surely Vegan Reich is not a nice term.. Vegan Empire as I translate it sounds derogative! Correct me if I am wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Surely Vegan Reich is not a nice term.. Vegan Empire as I translate it sounds derogative! Correct me if I am wrong!
    Hahaha I was just jokingly implying that vegans should rule the world. Vegan Reich are also a badass hardcore band.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Congratulations on that? It really wasn't necessary and I wasn't disagreeing with any of what you said. All I said was that plenty of people who eat meat have healthy lifestyles. That is a FACT.

Thank you bye.
    Plenty of people who eat meat have healthier lifestyles.
    Sorry but the only reason I replied is because you originally said healthier. I simply wanted to make it clear that you can be unhealthy either or.

Plenty of people who eat organic meat maybe...but the crap (I may be wrongly assuming, if you eat genunine organic I apologise) that you most likely consume from shops is not good for you. It contains all sorts of chemicals. http://miksul.searchwarp.com/swa51791.htm

ReputationRep:
    There is a vegetarian option. YOU CAN $%^& OFF!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha I was just jokingly implying that vegans should rule the world. Vegan Reich are also a badass hardcore band.
    Oh sorry!! Haha I took it completly the wrong way . Apologies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    There is a vegetarian option. YOU CAN $%^& OFF!
    So either, you haven't read the thread or you're not quoting people because you forgot to, or you're not quoting people because you don't understand how the very simple system works or you're an idiot. Take your pick!

ReputationRep:
    So either, you haven't read the thread or you're not quoting people because you forgot to, or you're not quoting people because you don't understand how the very simple system works or you're an idiot. Take your pick!
    Or, he's quoting a joke from Frankie Boyle based on the relevant subject matter and probably chose it because it expresses his feelings. Who's the idiot now?

ReputationRep:
    Or, he's quoting a joke from Frankie Boyle based on the relevant subject matter and probably chose it because it expresses his feelings. Who's the idiot now?
    I'm guessing him and perhaps you, what with the Frankie Boyle references.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you getting so angry? This thread was created by someone who was considering the vegetarian lifestyle. I never get why omnivores feel an over-powering need to 'have their say' on these type of threads....

Enough. Stop. Please.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing him and perhaps you, what with the Frankie Boyle references.
    Whoa, allow the BEEF dude! ;D Or in this case, don't. LOL. It was a joke, from the legend that is FRANKIE BOYLE!

Here's another; I hope your not allergic to nuts, coz I like to rest mine on the table. ;D BOOYAH!

ReputationRep:
    Why are you getting so angry? This thread was created by someone who was considering the vegetarian lifestyle. I never get why omnivores feel an over-powering need to 'have their say' on these type of threads....

Enough. Stop. Please.

Yes, why should meat eaters be allowed to post on a thread on somebody who is considering the vegetarian life style, they should clearly only receive one sided advice! :rolleyes:

Enough. Stop. Please.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.