Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Yes, why should meat eaters be allowed to post on a thread on somebody who is considering the vegetarian life style, they should clearly only receive one sided advice! :rolleyes:

Enough. Stop. Please.
    Straw-man argument. That's not what they said. Also you told me that their post was a joke, now you're trying to claim it's advice? Which one is it. If you could be consistent in your replies, I would be eternally grateful .

ReputationRep:
    Yes, why should meat eaters be allowed to post on a thread on somebody who is considering the vegetarian life style, they should clearly only receive one sided advice! :rolleyes:

Enough. Stop. Please.
    The person who asked is already a meat eater. They are asking advice from vegetarians. You have no experiance of being a vegetarian. Therefore your comments are worthless.

Its giving advice on something you've never done.

Dont be so immature. Your arguments are poorly constructed and this will be my last post on this. Good night, enjoy life.

ReputationRep:
    So has the OP actually decided whether they want to go veggie again? This thread turned into more of a debate than advice-giving Oh well, at least I released some built-up anger

ReputationRep:
    Lol well you've definatly started a debate here!!
    I have a couple of reasons for you, but first:

To the argument that "The animal will get killed anyway", The world works on supply and demand, so in the first instance, yes there will be some wastage, but if more and more people turn vegetarian, then fewer people will buy meat, making it a less profitable business.

Okay, i'm only giving reasons because this person asked for them, i wouldn't ever preach to someone in real life, since we've eaten meat since forever (doesn't make it wrong or right, just natural) it's a completely individual choice as to whether you eat it or not.

My reasons:

Health, (the big one for me)
    Meat (especially red) isn't very good for you, when you eat meat, you take on some of that animal's lipoproteins, and meat has low density lipoproteins which carry cholesterol from the tissues to the arteries and diposit them there. Beans and other forms of protein are much healthier. Fish however have High density lipoproteins which do the opposite - which is why fish is good for you.

Being veggie also forces you to eat more vegetables and try different things in order to get all the minerals and protein you need, this can lead to a much better diet and better overall health if done correctly.

Livestock are given all sorts of medicine/antibiotics to stop disease spreading in cramped conditions - you know about food chains and how poisins collect in preditors, why should this be any different?

Also there's the whole adage about vegetarian's living longer - always a bonus, right? ;D Not sure there's any solid proof of that though.

Cruelty,
    The meat trade is one of the most well regulated businesses in the world. But it still isn't very pretty. Chickens are the most abused animals in the world, and that makes me sad.

Also supporting the egg trade, means those chicks which hatch early are of course gassed or killed off, which is very upsetting to watch.

World hunger,
    A field can house 10 cows, which would feed a handful of people, or a field of corn or wheat which could feed hundreds. If the world were vegetarian, then world hunger would be a thing of the past (in a perfect world, of course there's politics and alsorts to think about, but that's rather brain boggling) and the amount of water which goes into livestock is incredible.

There you are, those are my basic reasons. I just think there are too many reasons to become veggie as opposed to turning a blind eye to it and thinking "I need the protein (i have a nut allergy which means being veggie is sometimes a bit of a mission in restaurants and such)" or "I like the taste too much" (which isn't too much of an issue for me, since bacon makes me want to be sick XD)

My concience just wouldn't leave me alone if i ate meat XD

There you are. It's good you want to explore all sides before decision making, very responsible of you XD ^^ Now, i'm waiting for a convincing argument to still eat meat . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LemonCookie)
    Lol well you've definatly started a debate here!!
    I have a couple of reasons for you, but first:

To the argument that "The animal will get killed anyway", The world works on supply and demand, so in the first instance, yes there will be some wastage, but if more and more people turn vegetarian, then fewer people will buy meat, making it a less profitable business.

Okay, i'm only giving reasons because this person asked for them, i wouldn't ever preach to someone in real life, since we've eaten meat since forever (doesn't make it wrong or right, just natural) it's a completely individual choice as to whether you eat it or not.

My reasons:

Health, (the big one for me)
    Meat (especially red) isn't very good for you, when you eat meat, you take on some of that animal's lipoproteins, and meat has low density lipoproteins which carry cholesterol from the tissues to the arteries and diposit them there. Beans and other forms of protein are much healthier. Fish however have High density lipoproteins which do the opposite - which is why fish is good for you.

Being veggie also forces you to eat more vegetables and try different things in order to get all the minerals and protein you need, this can lead to a much better diet and better overall health if done correctly.

Livestock are given all sorts of medicine/antibiotics to stop disease spreading in cramped conditions - you know about food chains and how poisins collect in preditors, why should this be any different?

Also there's the whole adage about vegetarian's living longer - always a bonus, right? ;D Not sure there's any solid proof of that though.

Cruelty,
    The meat trade is one of the most well regulated businesses in the world. But it still isn't very pretty. Chickens are the most abused animals in the world, and that makes me sad.

Also supporting the egg trade, means those chicks which hatch early are of course gassed or killed off, which is very upsetting to watch.

World hunger,
    A field can house 10 cows, which would feed a handful of people, or a field of corn or wheat which could feed hundreds. If the world were vegetarian, then world hunger would be a thing of the past (in a perfect world, of course there's politics and alsorts to think about, but that's rather brain boggling) and the amount of water which goes into livestock is incredible.

There you are, those are my basic reasons. I just think there are too many reasons to become veggie as opposed to turning a blind eye to it and thinking "I need the protein (i have a nut allergy which means being veggie is sometimes a bit of a mission in restaurants and such)" or "I like the taste too much" (which isn't too much of an issue for me, since bacon makes me want to be sick XD)

My concience just wouldn't leave me alone if i ate meat XD

There you are. It's good you want to explore all sides before decision making, very responsible of you XD ^^ Now, i'm waiting for a convincing argument to still eat meat . . .
    Do you eat dairy and eggs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Hi, so I was just eating a bacon sandwich when suddenly I was hit with an enormous sense of guilt... All I could think about were cute little piggies running around in a field, and the thought that they had died just so people like me could eat them when we don't really need to just made me feel awful!

I always feel so guilty when I eat meat but now it's really getting to me. The problem is, it just tastes so damn good, it's difficult to give up!

So come on TSR veggies, convince me to give up the meat, tell me why I should go all the way!

You could cut down on your meat intake over time and may be explore some vegetarian friendly cuisines and cook? I cook my food at home but as I don't each much in one go, it's not as often as I would like. Have you heard of falafels? They are nice with hummus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    The person who asked is already a meat eater. They are asking advice from vegetarians. You have no experiance of being a vegetarian. Therefore your comments are worthless.

Its giving advice on something you've never done.

Dont be so immature. Your arguments are poorly constructed and this will be my last post on this. Good night, enjoy life.

I actually do have EXPERIENCE (not experiance, whatever the hell that is, I will assume you made a typo in your rage) of being a vegetarian. My mother is a vegetarian and it is with her that I was brought up, and thus I was a vegetarian for a while until I decided why bother? I didn't feel any guilt for eating the animals, they were going to die with or without my culinary choices.

I am well aware that the person who asked is a meat eater, but why should only vegetarians be giving him advice? That would make the advice rather one sided and biased, no?

Furthermore, if one is turning vegetarian due to the ethical reasons of animal cruelty and the like, then really you should be going vegan instead of "vegan-lite" or vegetarianism. Eating animal products such as eggs, dairy etc contribute to animal cruelty as well due to the cramped conditions that some of these animals are kept in, and treated like machines instead of living creatures.

But what about free range, you might ask. By law, the definition of free range is that chickens RAISED FOR THEIR MEAT must have access to the outside. Outside of being raised for their meat, there are sod all regulations on the definition of free range for other things. For example: EGGS AND DAIRY. This means they can slap on the words "free range" onto just about anything they damn well please.

So while you may picture open fields with chickens occasionally squatting down to bash an egg out, the reality is more often than not this:

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/ar.../90937.jpg?v=1

Therefore, I conclude that anybody who turns vegetarian for the reason (primary or supplementary) of animal cruelty but who does not go vegan is either a) uninformed or b) a hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Not really. It has no real effect. Unless we somehow run out of meat then it will always be the same as populations grow, I would say even more meat is being eaten than ever due to this.

In regards to human meat. Meh, meat is meat, life is life.
    TSR has cannibals :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I'm guessing him and perhaps you, what with the Frankie Boyle references.
    Can you say petty? Attacking someone for their taste in comedy? Wow.

ReputationRep:
    I actually do have EXPERIENCE (not experiance, whatever the hell that is, I will assume you made a typo in your rage) of being a vegetarian. My mother is a vegetarian and it is with her that I was brought up, and thus I was a vegetarian for a while until I decided why bother? I didn't feel any guilt for eating the animals, they were going to die with or without my culinary choices.

I am well aware that the person who asked is a meat eater, but why should only vegetarians be giving him advice? That would make the advice rather one sided and biased, no?
    Thankyou for correctly my spelling mistake. I apologise. I don't get angry over the internet thus don't feel 'rage'.

See it's the bit highlighted in bold that I am interested in. If everyone stopped eating meat then the animals would stop dying. I am not trying to 'convert' you or anyone else but that is pure and simple fact.

Well no, it would not be one sided and biased because the OP is a meat eater. Therefore it becomes two side automatically. Until I hear a convincing 'eat meat' arguement I think omnivores should stay schtum. Taste by the way, is not convincing. Nor is the protein arguement.

Out of interest. Why did you change from Veggie to Mea-Eater? Surely your mother bought you up vegetarian for a reason?

ReputationRep:
    Straw-man argument. That's not what they said. Also you told me that their post was a joke, now you're trying to claim it's advice? Which one is it. If you could be consistent in your replies, I would be eternally grateful .

I did indeed say that the previous gentlemen was quoting a joke. If you had read the final sentence or two however you would have realised that I also said he probably chose that quote because it represents his own feelings towards the issue. So it might not be the most coherent of opinions, but it is still an opinion and just because he is a meat eater it does not mean that his opinions should not be heard on a thread created by someone asking for advice on vegetarianism.

ReputationRep:
    Can you say petty? Attacking someone for their taste in comedy? Wow.
    It's the same attack on me for not knowing a Frankie Boyle reference, how is your post any less petty?

ReputationRep:
    I did indeed say that the previous gentlemen was quoting a joke. If you had read the final sentence or two however you would have realised that I also said he probably chose that quote because it represents his own feelings towards the issue. So it might not be the most coherent of opinions, but it is still an opinion and just because he is a meat eater it does not mean that his opinions should not be heard on a thread created by someone asking for advice on vegetarianism.
    THE POST CONTAINS NO ****ING ADVICE!

Christ on a cross, what is wrong with you? The thread doesn't say "please, give me your opinion, no matter who you are", it asks for advice.

You're absurdly illogical.

ReputationRep:
    It's the same attack on me for not knowing a Frankie Boyle reference, how is your post any less petty?
    A fair point, almost as petty as you flying off the handle at the person who made the original comment.

ReputationRep:
    A fair point, almost as petty as you flying off the handle at the person who made the original comment.
    I didn't fly of the handle (at least in the post you're talking about). I am now putting you on my ignore list due to your idiocy and my severe dislike of you.

ReputationRep:

Furthermore, if one is turning vegetarian due to the ethical reasons of animal cruelty and the like, then really you should be going vegan instead of "vegan-lite" or vegetarianism. Eating animal products such as eggs, dairy etc contribute to animal cruelty as well due to the cramped conditions that some of these animals are kept in, and treated like machines instead of living creatures.

But what about free range, you might ask. By law, the definition of free range is that chickens RAISED FOR THEIR MEAT must have access to the outside. Outside of being raised for their meat, there are sod all regulations on the definition of free range for other things. For example: EGGS AND DAIRY. This means they can slap on the words "free range" onto just about anything they damn well please.

So while you may picture open fields with chickens occasionally squatting down to bash an egg out, the reality is more often than not this:

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/ar.../90937.jpg?v=1

Therefore, I conclude that anybody who turns vegetarian for the reason (primary or supplementary) of animal cruelty but who does not go vegan is either a) uninformed or b) a hypocrite.
    I don't eat dairy.

I buy my eggs from a farm whereby you can see the chickens running around. Thats about as free range as you can get. Or I get them from friends with chickens.

I also don't eat any store bought produce containing egg.

Have a nice day

ReputationRep:
    Little dig at me there by any chance? Boo hoo, it's karma for you attacking practically everyone in this thread. Get a life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg Griffin)
    Little dig at me there by any chance? Boo hoo, it's karma for you attacking practically everyone in this thread. Get a life!
    What?

ReputationRep:
    You are quite an angry person, ttml. You should buy a stress ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    You are quite an angry person, ttml. You should buy a stress ball.
    Yes, that will end all of my problems and diminish my "anger" immensely :awesome: :p: .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.