Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm trying to decide whether to firm KCL or UCL for history. I love both uni's and am currently trying to understand how much guidance is given when you write your essays. I understand that you have 4-6 essays to complete for end of the semester at UCL in contrast to 1 essay every 2 weeks at KCL.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba2)
    Hi

I'm trying to decide whether to firm KCL or UCL for history. I love both uni's and am currently trying to understand how much guidance is given when you write your essays. I understand that you have 4-6 essays to complete for end of the semester at UCL in contrast to 1 essay every 2 weeks at KCL.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Hi, I'm doing a postgraduate MA in history and have applied to both of these universities. I believe that the two are very similar, however UCL appears slightly higher on the league table overall. If I were you I think I would firm KCL because their history department seems a lot better than UCL's, with more modules available and more periods available for study.

I personally preferred the feel of KCL's history department to UCL's anyway, and I thought that UCL had students from a more international and upper class background than myself which put me off, which is also why I will be choosing to study at KCL.

Of course people will disagree with these statements, but this is just my personal opinion from the experiences that I have gained whilst visiting both universities.

Hope this helps, pm me if you want any more advice etc

Dan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pricey00uk)
    I personally preferred the feel of KCL's history department to UCL's anyway, and I thought that UCL had students from a more international and upper class background than myself which put me off, which is also why I will be choosing to study at KCL.
    Hi. I'm trying to choose between picking a Medieval History MA at KCL or else the Medieval and Renaissance Studies MA at UCL. To be honest the only thing that's helping me narrow it down is info about the personal experiences people have at the colleges... I can pick a course or two at UCL if i take the MA at King's (have offers for both), so I'm wondering if you could elaborate a little about the general vibes of the two history depts... basically did you study at either of the colleges yet or are your opinions based just on visits during the app process?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aoifeoc)
    Hi. I'm trying to choose between picking a Medieval History MA at KCL or else the Medieval and Renaissance Studies MA at UCL. To be honest the only thing that's helping me narrow it down is info about the personal experiences people have at the colleges... I can pick a course or two at UCL if i take the MA at King's (have offers for both), so I'm wondering if you could elaborate a little about the general vibes of the two history depts... basically did you study at either of the colleges yet or are your opinions based just on visits during the app process?

Hi,

I did not study at either of the colleges, but I have been to visit both departments, and have been to open days at both. I have also been reading about student experiences on this forum, and have found that many people seem to have had a better social life at King's rather than at UCL. Of course many people would most likely disagree with me on that, but one thing that also made me prefer King's was that they are much more helpful and better at keeping in contact.

For example, I emailed the history department at both UCL and King's to enquire about the course, and whether I could be put in touch with current students to get a better understanding.

King's invited me to visit the department to meet with one of the people that would be teaching me personally, and he showed me around and made time for me. He also provided me with 2 students who wrote me some very long, nice detailed emails about the course, advice, social life etc at King's which I found to be very helpful.

UCL on the other hand emailed me back literally a month later (I actually checked, because I forgot that I even emailed them), which in my opinion is very poor, and as of yet have still not provided me with any student contacts or been of any further help. I believe that this tells you something about the university, and hints that they might not be very good at being contacted when you might need help on your degree etc.

To put it simply, whilst UCL overall may be higher on the league table, King's history department is ranked higher than UCL's, and it seems to me that there are better facilities there, friendlier and more helpful people, and a much better student social experience. I have offers from both UCL and KCL for a History MA, but having seen both unis, on the basis of my experiences I will, without a doubt, be choosing to study at King's this September.

I hope that that has helped with some of your questions, but if you have any more, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck, and please let me know what you decide to do

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 4, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.