Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a fairly simple question, something I'm unclear about.

If I'm accepted to a graduate research position, what are the chances of getting funding?

I am doing a taught masters in political philosophy in Spain this September, and the plan is to do a PhD or an MPhil/PhD in UCL or KCL the year after.

I've heard from some people that if I am accepted to one of these types of programmes, I'm guaranteed funding, I've heard from others that only a certain amount of MPhil/PhD students actually get funding, so which is it?

ReputationRep:
    Postgraduate students are not eligible for student finance (except those studying an exception course such as Medicine or teaching - for the course you've indicated they definitely won't fund it). Sorry.

In terms of funding, you'd be best to see if there are any organisations that would offer you funding, or if the university you are planning to attend has any options. Otherwise, you're more or less on your own.

Kind regards.

[EDIT]: Just realised you might not necessarily be talking about student finance from the government - in which case, ignore my statements. In terms of postgraduate students getting funding, especially for Arts courses, the chances are slim. The funding that is available from various organisations is extremely competitive, but it's worth having a go.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I was under the impression that most PhD students were actually paid by their colleges, (like, in return for the extra bit of profile their research would get for the department of the college they're studying).

That's thrown a spanner into the works of my long-term plans anyways!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.