Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else a fan of fortified wine? I hardly ever drink normal wine, except sometimes with meals, but I love port and madeira - just bought a bottle of Graham's Single Quinta Vintage (1999) Port today. I've tried marsala before and it wasn't bad either. I haven't tried vermouth (do people ever actually drink it straight?).

However, I detest sherry....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can't say I'm a fan, but kudos for liking something other than lager or vodka (which seems to be all students drink these days -.-)

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest I havent tried much fortified wine in my time. I mostly drink wine and lager (yeh I know not all that orignal).

ReputationRep:
    Vermouth Rosso is one of my favourite drinks. Martini Rosso is gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    when you sick port back up it looks and feels like jelly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmanoj)
    Is anyone else a fan of fortified wine? I hardly ever drink normal wine, except sometimes with meals, but I love port and madeira - just bought a bottle of Graham's Single Quinta Vintage (1999) Port today. I've tried marsala before and it wasn't bad either. I haven't tried vermouth (do people ever actually drink it straight?).

However, I detest sherry....
    Port is great. So is champagne and sloe gin, together. Expensive, though ='(

_Kar.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I once had some port. It was really quite transparent on the top, then became more syrupy in the middle, then there was just a layer of biscuit at the bottom. Turns out it was 27 years old. It doesn't come recommended.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a big fan, it means i only have to strawpedo one bottle at predrinks rather than two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    when you sick port back up it looks and feels like jelly
    I see. Surprisingly, I haven't done that yet (probably will at some point, although it's usually whisky that does it to me). I do enjoy my tongue turning black when I drink port though.

(Original post by Dynasty)
    I'm a big fan, it means i only have to strawpedo one bottle at predrinks rather than two.
    Strawpedo? That's a new one.

ReputationRep:
    Strawpedo? That's a new one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqwoN71f57E

ReputationRep:
    Port is possibly one of the most splendid drinks around, regularly drink it on 'occasions' and general drinking, also quite often on offer. Although one lesson is never drink an entire 1L bottle in 70 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)
    Port is possibly one of the most splendid drinks around, regularly drink it on 'occasions' and general drinking, also quite often on offer. Although one lesson is never drink an entire 1L bottle in 70 minutes.
    So that's 20 units in 70 minutes? :eek:

Part of me wants to try doing that now...

ReputationRep:
    So that's 20 units in 70 minutes? :eek:

Hence why it is a lesson pretty funny afternoon though.

ReputationRep:
    Port is fantastic. Have you ever tried Pineau des Charentes?

It's a similar strength and flavour as port but its made by mixing high quality brandy and the leftover grape juice. You serve it ice cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Port is fantastic. Have you ever tried Pineau des Charentes?
    [IMG]x[/IMG]

It's a similar strength and flavour as port but its made by mixing high quality brandy and the leftover grape juice. You serve it ice cold.
    I've just looked it up, and I'm certainly tempted. I'll have to see if I can get hold of some.

One thing that's really been bugging me is the lack of availability in most stores of any Madeira other than Blandy's. I suppose the internet is the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    I always drink a £5 asda bottle of port with WKD, cheeky vimto is most definitely the way forward in life!

Edit: Maybe should have read this thread before posting, I feel a bit out of place now...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a big port fan - I got some for my birthday and I'm working my way through the bottle. Finding out what name it is would involve going downstairs though.

I've drunk straight Vermouth on a number of occasions and rather enjoyed it

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely a port fan, shame you can't always buy it in bars...but it is fantastic, I wish I'd found out about it sooner, and I also wish more girls would see the light, cheeky v is just not the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    I always drink a £5 asda bottle of port with WKD, cheeky vimto is most definitely the way forward in life!

Edit: Maybe should have read this thread before posting, I feel a bit out of place now...
    Aww, don't worry about it. Anyone who enjoys port is welcome in this thread (but what's WKD?).

(Original post by Stegosaurus)
    I'm a big port fan - I got some for my birthday and I'm working my way through the bottle. Finding out what name it is would involve going downstairs though.

I've drunk straight Vermouth on a number of occasions and rather enjoyed it
    Great. Any brands you'd recommend for Vermouth?

ReputationRep:
    Aww, don't worry about it. Anyone who enjoys port is welcome in this thread (but what's WKD?).
    Ah, thanks
    WKD is a blue alchopop, normally consumed by 12 year olds on street corners! But when added to port, it makes a mix tasting exactly like vimto!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.