Getting a GOOD job in the computer/IT etc industry? Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
OK, at the level of PC World, maybe dishonesty is rife, but if you want to get anywhere in corporate IT sales (i.e. multi-million dollar deals etc.), honesty and integrity is very important. Just remember what happened to WorldCom. Dishonest companies/employees can often prosper in the short term but it will usually catch up with you and there is nothing that says a good sales manager/directory has to be dishonest (again I'm not commenting about the type of IT sales at PC World, I mean at a corporate level).

My dad works in sales and he's very honest!
Fair enough I will reword it, how about I'm not pushy enough for IT sales? Also I'm very technical so would be better at the development side if it is less pay.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There are thousands of computing jobs in London. Every business needs a techie, or a whole team of them. She shouldn't worry too much about sticking with the tech support job - why not have a bit of a look around on recruitment websites and see what's out there?

The techies where I work were employed because of their degree and their other experience. Perhaps she should start developing websites for other people in her spare time: this is the kind of thing employers look for. As long as she knows the ins and outs of her profession, she'll come across really well in interviews and won't have a problem.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Of course I am refering to computing degrees here! I would not expect C++ to be taught on a law degree.
I learnt C (they didn't bother with ++ on the assumption that if you can hack C you can adapt to ++ very easily but it's not so easy to go the other way around :confused: ) as part of my Geology degree.

Can't remember hardly any of it though (even though I got a respectable mark)...and I remember being at the point of tearing my hair out when we got onto arrays :mad: ....it was my friday afternoon lab and every friday I'd get so frustrated and angry I'd be in a bad mood all weekend.

I'm not a natural programmer (I don't have the language skills).

Although I managed to pass a visual basic module without learning the language by simply writing out the algorithms I would have used to create the program using C .

If I could write out algorithms and get someone else to code the damn things I'd be fine...as it is I'll just play with my array formula's in excel instead and pretend I'm a programmer
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I learnt C (they didn't bother with ++ on the assumption that if you can hack C you can adapt to ++ very easily but it's not so easy to go the other way around :confused: ) as part of my Geology degree.

Can't remember hardly any of it though (even though I got a respectable mark)...and I remember being at the point of tearing my hair out when we got onto arrays :mad: ....it was my friday afternoon lab and every friday I'd get so frustrated and angry I'd be in a bad mood all weekend.

Although I managed to pass a visual basic module without learning the language by simply writing out the algorithms I would have used to create the program using C .

If I could write out algorithms and get someone else to code the damn things I'd be fine...as it is I'll just play with my array formula's in excel instead and pretend I'm a programmer
You can adapt very easily only if you already know the OOP paradigm wich is the main strenght of C++.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)

C and C++ are very similar, C++ just adds the object oriented things as well as support for windows programming rather than plain command line. You can use a C++ compiler to compile C code as its the same core langauge.

Array's confused me at first but once you get round them they are easy, 2d arrays are also very straight foward. Its when you have to start righting for loops to populate 3d array data it starts getting tediously complex, for this reason most people avoid 3d arrays!

A lot of people have problems with the syntax but if you're not a programmer its not really a problem. I know a lot of people on my course that really struggled with the c++ and ASP modules which may be a problem for them if they want IT jobs.

VB is useless for making applications as its so bloaty and slow I would much rather use Rapidq or C++. VB is however handy for making nice user interfaces in access or excel. (VBA).
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
VB is useless for making applications as its so bloaty and slow I would much rather use Rapidq or C++. VB is however handy for making nice user interfaces in access or excel. (VBA).
Please take a look at that http://www.x-media.com.ar
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Please take a look at that http://www.x-media.com.ar
It looks good what programming language did you do it in?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It looks good what programming language did you do it in?
Guess hehe.

Visual Basic 5.0

Most of the time the problem is the programmer and not the language.
Anyway a good application will always run better with C\C++ than with VB and the same goes for C\C++ vs Assembly.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Guess hehe.

Visual Basic 5.0

Most of the time the problem is the programmer and not the language.
Anyway a good application will always run better with C\C++ than with VB and the same goes for C\C++ vs Assembly.
Yeah the reason I made my comment about VB is that you don't tend to see office applications being written in VB.

I made an HMTL editor in RadpidQ as its less bloaty than VB and RapidQ is also free, the only major problem with it is lack of support and and there is no fancy frame editors. I did make a fairly complex shoot em up and pop quiz game in VB6, the total file size was 60mb due to the fact we had to include videos in it.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah the reason I made my comment about VB is that you don't tend to see office applications being written in VB.

I made an HMTL editor in RadpidQ as its less bloaty than VB and RapidQ is also free, the only major problem with it is lack of support and and there is no fancy frame editors. I did make a fairly complex shoot em up and pop quiz game in VB6, the total file size was 60mb due to the fact we had to include videos in it.
VB isn't a real serious language programming.
RadpidQ I must admit that this is the first time that I hear of it but from a quick search in google I see that is something like PowerBasic.

I would only develop under C\C++ and Assembly except that my boss say otherwise.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads