Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently added a friend on Facebook who I have not seen in a long time. I know for a fact that she doesn't go to university, and has finished college now, but she is just working full-time at Greggs rather than doing anything with her life. I wrote on her wall last night, 'have you considered university x', and she messaged back '? xxx' because that was the first contact with her that I'd had in 5 years. But then we got chatting and I said that I thought she was wasting herself on that place and could do more so that she doesn't just look like a useless failure. The thing is, in that place, the only job satisfaction you'd get is knowing you made a nice bun, but then that bun goes down the toilet a couple of hours later anyway. She seemed to take offense though and hasn't bothered responding to any of my emails where I sent her links to university courses.

How can I get her to listen to me?

ReputationRep:
    You're not her mum. Sometimes you just have to let people figure these things out for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    The first thing you said to her after 5 years was that? I would take offense too, and you sound like a prick sending all these emails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lassilsa)
    I recently added a friend on Facebook who I have not seen in a long time. I know for a fact that she doesn't go to university, and has finished college now, but she is just working full-time at Greggs rather than doing anything with her life. I wrote on her wall last night, 'have you considered university x', and she messaged back '? xxx' because that was the first contact with her that I'd had in 5 years. But then we got chatting and I said that I thought she was wasting herself on that place and could do more so that she doesn't just look like a useless failure. The thing is, in that place, the only job satisfaction you'd get is knowing you made a nice bun, but then that bun goes down the toilet a couple of hours later anyway. She seemed to take offense though and hasn't bothered responding to any of my emails where I sent her links to university courses.

So you're saying that every single person that doesn't go to University is going to fail at life? People like you really irritate me.

College is a decent place to get an education.

Also at least she has a job, rather than sponging off tax payer's money.

People like you are just completely clueless.

Let her live her life how she wants to.

ReputationRep:
    So you're suprised that she's not taking it too well that the first thing you've said to her in 5 years is that she's a failure at life. Also university is by no means the be all and end all.

ReputationRep:
    Listen, if somebody came back into your life after 5 years, called you a failure then sent e-mails incessantly trying to get you to do something you don't want, you'd be pretty pissed off.

Anyway somebody has to work for Greggs. :drool:

ReputationRep:

You know you're a terrible person for saying that; you don't need us to confirm it.

ReputationRep:
    I looked up "a**hole" in the dictionary today. It was really weird, instead of a definition, it just said "Lassilsa."

ReputationRep:

If you hadn't spoke to your friend for 5 years I can't understand why 'have you considered university?' would be the first thing you say to them? seems a bit strange.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    :\.....

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with making bread? Everybody eats bread!

If and when she gets bored with it, she'll have a huge amount of experience of working in a big chain, multitasking and interacting with customers.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, im wondering if you are young, or just a snob. You cant just tell people that their living their life wrong - because its not right "according to you". And university doesnt guarentee you a job, you may work in Greggs after youve gotten yourself a degree. Which would be worse.

ReputationRep:

Atleast she won't end up with a 30k debt by doing a mickey mouse course just for the sake of going Uni.

She's made a wise choice and making buns holding a micky mouse degree is more degrading, me thinks.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care what she does with her life? Sure if she was a close friend you might mention something to her, but you haven't spoken to her for 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    nice troll

ReputationRep:
    You have seven negs. You're a failure

ReputationRep:
    You should have been more tactful!

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, thats a bit of insenstive first thing to say! Just because she may of not achieved what you may define as 'success' doesnt mean shes a failure. Maybe shes happy with what shes doing? Academia isnt the be all and end all.

ReputationRep:
    You're a *****

nuff said

ReputationRep:

I work part time at greggs and going uni in september. Just cause you work there doesn't make you any less of a person with emotions or intelligence.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.