Turn on thread page Beta

I called my friend a failure watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lassilsa)
    Well, if I'm honest, yes.
    thats a bit unfair when you don't know the person. She might become more successful than you in the future by becoming a rich business person and then when you come crawling to her for a job she might turn you down because you said something sad.

ReputationRep:
    You're right tbh. I might just delete her as she's not even taking my advice on bettering herself and getting herself out of the gutter.
    Tell that to Alan Sugar

ReputationRep:
    http://photo.goodreads.com/books/118...9l/1360701.jpg

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I do believe you're a failure. While you may have all the academic stuff, you fail as a 'friend.'
    And one day when you're high in your chosen career, I sincerely hope you walk into a Greggs for your lunch, where she's the area manager or something high up and she refuses to let you buy your sandwich or pie or whatever!

ReputationRep:
    :troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

ReputationRep:
    How can you call them your friend with no contact for 5 years?

ReputationRep:
    You fail at being compassionate.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like one of the many major pains the ass who just want to hug the world better and make sure everybody's ok

ReputationRep:
    Me? I would rather try to make people feel better than call them a failure. And better yet, leave them alone if I haven't spoken to them in 5 years and they seem to be perfectly happy in their life already.

ReputationRep:
    Wow it is none of your business and university is not for everyone. You shouldn't be so rude either.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if I'm honest, yes.
    so does that imply to Alan sugar, Bill Gates (who did not finish his studies nor was he that serious about it) and that kid who created facebook, he dropped out.

these people made millions and billions and especially alan sugar who dropped out of secondary school and started doing business at 15!!!!

who the hell do you think you are, seriously?! You've probably have a degree thats so ****ing useless and just wants to better yourself because its not going right for you at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OKAYAWESOME.)
    And university doesnt guarentee you a job, you may work in Greggs after youve gotten yourself a degree. Which would be worse.
    Indeed. :rolleyes: I have a good degree yet I ended up working at Greggs fulltime. I had no money at all and took the first job I could get. Started as a general assistant and ended as assistant manager, before leaving to go travelling around the world. Given the economic situation at the moment, there's a hell of a lot of graduates in the retail business and pubs etc. atm. Got to take what you can get jobwise, when there's hundreds of applicants for every graduate job.

ReputationRep:
    I recently added a friend on Facebook who I have not seen in a long time. I know for a fact that she doesn't go to university, and has finished college now, but she is just working full-time at Greggs rather than doing anything with her life. I wrote on her wall last night, 'have you considered university x', and she messaged back '? xxx' because that was the first contact with her that I'd had in 5 years. But then we got chatting and I said that I thought she was wasting herself on that place and could do more so that she doesn't just look like a useless failure. The thing is, in that place, the only job satisfaction you'd get is knowing you made a nice bun, but then that bun goes down the toilet a couple of hours later anyway. She seemed to take offense though and hasn't bothered responding to any of my emails where I sent her links to university courses.

How can I get her to listen to me?
    I think you should wait a day or 2............ & then send a small & sweet apology email.....be sure to include the words "apology" & your name in the subject....i guess that will work? and if it does......PLZ be nice....I do not want another thread saying you screwed up TWICE LOL!

ReputationRep:
    It has got nothing to do with you what she choses in life. You don't know her living situation, you don't know what she is going through. She may be on a gap year, she maybe doing that part time, you don't know.

Also, university isn't the start of making someone successful. There are so many people out there who didn't go to university who have made it. Alan Sugar being one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Someone's got to work at Greggs: it might not be the most exciting job in the world (and few jobs are particularly exciting), but there's absolutely no shame in it

ReputationRep:
    OP you are nuts! Your friend can make her own decisions and she is entitled to have different priorities in life. Maybe she is not academic or just wants a stable job without much stress and resoponsibility. It is up to her!

What and where do you study that has made you so snobby, just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    She's the one working for a living.

You're the one dependent on the government for your money to live.

You're a bigger leech on society than she is, yet you have the cheek to call her for 'doing nothing with her life'

What if you do nothing?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're insecure in some way.

ReputationRep:
    Given the choice between my chemistry degree and what DH Biker is doing I know which I would choose. Thats right, the one without the £21k toilet paper at the end.

ReputationRep:
    But... I don't go to Uni! Does that mean I'm a failure too?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.