Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Use a good quality foundation like Estee Lauder, MAC etc, but make sure you take your makeup off at night. Trust me it's worth the extra money. Usually it's not the makeup, it's the fact that you don't take it off properly. Cleanse once in the morning, once at night, and use a good moisturiser. Get one that's not fragranced or perfumed, as these can irritate your skin. Look for one with teatree in, it's supposed to balance skin.

Foundation doesn't cause spots unless you have an allergy, I've been wearing it since I was about 12 and I've never had any problems because I've always had a good skincare routine.
    thank you, my foundation is clinique so i don't really think it's that which is causing the problem it's more the lack of skincare like you said. is there any good cleaners you would recomend?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you don't need to go to the doctors! I agree with the post above, it doesn't matter how much makeup you wear all that matters is that you take it off properly. i.e. don't just rub a makeup wipe over your face before you go to bed (this just moves the dirt around your face).

I use Liz Earle which is really good for problem/sensitive skin (I get really bad ezema). You could cleanse, tone and moisturise twice daily and exfoliate twice a week. That's a pretty standard skin care rountine.

Use better products too. Clinique have foundations suited to problem skin types, the foundation actually helps your spots instead of clogging up your pores (or so they say). I use Laura Mercier, its brilliant, but everyone has their favourites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda13)
    thank you, my foundation is clinique so i don't really think it's that which is causing the problem it's more the lack of skincare like you said. is there any good cleaners you would recomend?
    Yeah I highly doubt it would be the foundation, especially from clinique. For cleansers, I would recommend simple makeup wipes. They're easy to use, relatively cheap, and they do the job. They're hypoallergenic so you won't have a reaction to them or anything. I'd also recommend 'Lush' face products, as they're all natural and they have something for every skin type. Plus no animals are harmed in making them.

A quick trick, if you want to get rid of spots, put some toothpaste on them at night. The alkali in it will dry it out. I have pretty clear skin but when I do get the odd spot, I put that on it and it's gone within one to two days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahGrace92)
    Lol, you don't need to go to the doctors! I agree with the post above, it doesn't matter how much makeup you wear all that matters is that you take it off properly. i.e. don't just rub a makeup wipe over your face before you go to bed (this just moves the dirt around your face).

I use Liz Earle which is really good for problem/sensitive skin (I get really bad ezema). You could cleanse, tone and moisturise twice daily and exfoliate twice a week. That's a pretty standard skin care rountine.

Use better products too. Clinique have foundations suited to problem skin types, the foundation actually helps your spots instead of clogging up your pores (or so they say). I use Laura Mercier, its brilliant, but everyone has their favourites.
    ha i agree, this was more the type of help i was looking for. i've actually heard amazing things about liz earle, the cleanse and polish. i think it might be a little pricey for me. my skincare routine is basically face wipes lol. i didn't use to wear so much make up so i don't think it was too bad but more make up needs better cleaning obviously

ReputationRep:
    There are sooooo many remedies out there - unfortunately many didn't work for me lol.
    I've tried almost everything you can imagine - though recently I've found this new system of Skin Care really effective. The spots are disappearing slowly, at long last!!
    My spots aren't down to acne though, they're down to a problem I have with my throat - so it may not be guaranteed to work for others if they have acne
    I wash my face with clean warm water - no soap or bubble bath etc, just clean warm water
    Sometimes, if the spots get really bad I use a face scrub specific for sensitive skin
    I then use toner cleansing stuff, leave that to dry then use a Nivea "Reduce spots in 4hrs" gel directly on the spots. Once all that is dry I use a basic Asda 'Matt Moisturiser' and that's it
    If spots get really bad at night I use either Sudocrem or Aloe Vera gel - though since using this new system I fortunately haven't had to
    I don't wear any make-up so I'm sorri I can't help make-up wise

ReputationRep:
    ha i agree, this was more the type of help i was looking for. i've actually heard amazing things about liz earle, the cleanse and polish. i think it might be a little pricey for me. my skincare routine is basically face wipes lol. i didn't use to wear so much make up so i don't think it was too bad but more make up needs better cleaning obviously
    If you're only used to buying skin wipes then products can look expensive. But Liz Earle really isn't that expensive compared to others on the market, plus it lasts for ages if you aren't stupid with it. A 200ml cleanser costs me £20. It lasts about 5 months. The toner, £11, lasts me well over 6 months, and the moisturiser, £15, lasts me around 4-5 months. You can buy them together as a pack and you get cute cosmetic bags with them. I have loads lol.

Plus, it depends how you apply your makeup. Make sure whatever tool you use (fingers, brush, sponge) is clean before you put it on your face. If you use a dirty tool to apply product to your eyes it gives you an infection. The same applies to your skin.

Also, the better skin you have the less skin products you need so its more cost effective anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Look on the Liz Earle website they normally have a deal with all the stuff together- think my christmas bundle- cleanser, toner, moisturiser and 2 cloths was like £40 or something and then I got 2 free sample size products too. As others have said Liz Earle is amazing but I'm a fangirl as I use the facial stuff, eyecream, shampoo and conditioner and the body scrub.

ReputationRep:
    St.ives apricot scrub

ReputationRep:
    i've recently started wearing my foundation more (most days) and switched to superdrug own brand moistureriser and now i have loads of spots. what products can i use to make my skin nicer as i have basically no skincare routine
    Don't wear foundation over your spots, your pores will get clogged up even more and your skin needs to breathe. Try Sudocrem every night over your spots or a spot treatment e.g. Clearasil to help clear up your blemishes. Keep your skin moisturised if you often find it's quite dry.

It's a vicious circle with foundation, you wear it to cover up blemishes, which can cause even more blemishes (if you don't remove it properly), so you wear more foundation to cover them up! Leave the make-up out for a few days and your skin should calm down. It takes perseverance but it works

It's often the cheaper foundations that cause blemishes, so switch to one that is suitable for your skin type and see if that works if you really don't want to go without wearing make-up.

i've recently started wearing my foundation more (most days) and switched to superdrug own brand moistureriser and now i have loads of spots. what products can i use to make my skin nicer as i have basically no skincare routine
    Store brand moisturiser :eek: well stop using that for a start also don't overuse the foundation.

Cleanse, Exfoliate, (Acne Treatment) then Moisturise

I don't know what Acne treatment to suggest to you as I have a doctor prescribed pill thing that I take... no creams or anything maybe Clearasil?

. . . .
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Store brand moisturiser :eek: well stop using that for a start also don't overuse the foundation
    Gotta agree; cheap moisturiser = *shudder*! And stop caking your face in foundation, OP! You're essentially clogging up the pores in your skin, which in turn is prob. causing the spots, along with a poor skin care regime!

I suffer with bad ish skin, which I have done since I was a teen. During my late teens, I went on the pill, and all the spots vanished. I got the odd 1 or 2, but nothing major. Since comin off the pill I have been hit with loads of spots, however they are gradually settling down. However I am left with a lot of blemishes, and the tea tree crap my mum told me to keep using was not doing anything for my skin. So I just thought meh im guna try Liz Earle . . and I am so glad I did. I haven't been using it long, but my mum has already said she can see a difference. It's not a major difference but my face isn't erupting so much in spots and the blemishes are gradually starting to fade, but again nothing major.

I personally believe that if you spend cheaply on cosmetics, you aren't necessarily going to reap the desired rewards! Therefore spending that lil bit extra may just be what your skin is screaming out for. Personally try the Liz Earle and see how you get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Gotta agree; cheap moisturiser = *shudder*! And stop caking your face in foundation, OP! You're essentially clogging up the pores in your skin, which in turn is prob. causing the spots, along with a poor skin care regime!

I suffer with bad ish skin, which I have done since I was a teen. During my late teens, I went on the pill, and all the spots vanished. I got the odd 1 or 2, but nothing major. Since comin off the pill I have been hit with loads of spots, however they are gradually settling down. However I am left with a lot of blemishes, and the tea tree crap my mum told me to keep using was not doing anything for my skin. So I just thought meh im guna try Liz Earle . . and I am so glad I did. I haven't been using it long, but my mum has already said she can see a difference. It's not a major difference but my face isn't erupting so much in spots and the blemishes are gradually starting to fade, but again nothing major.

I personally believe that if you spend cheaply on cosmetics, you aren't necessarily going to reap the desired rewards! Therefore spending that lil bit extra may just be what your skin is screaming out for. Personally try the Liz Earle and see how you get on with it.

i'm a full liz earle convert aleady. my skin looks amazing now but thanks anyway

ReputationRep:

This stuff is amazing! It truly is!

ReputationRep:
    The soap and glory "scrub your nose" in it, is the best face stuff I've found, my skin is always clear

ReputationRep:
    I never put make up on my face. Just a bit of cream goes a long way. Trust me, keeping it natural is the best way. :yy:

i'm a full liz earle convert aleady. my skin looks amazing now but thanks anyway
    :yep: Me too. My skin isn't amazing but it's improving bit by bit .

Liz Earle FTW

ReputationRep:
    get on the pill. controls your hormones.

and if you wear make up everyday.. it's best to use a good brand of foundation and concealer as well as moisturiser.

moisturise, primer cream, base cream, light foundation on just 30% of your face, concealer, then powder to prevent your skin from appearing glossy and shiny.

and instead of using an oil based foundation, which gets absorbed easily and clogs up your pores, use a water based foundation.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.