Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am coming to the end of my first year of a foundation degree course and I am seriously questioning whether I want to continue into the second year. So many people have dropped out I am the only full time student left on the course (there are two part time students but I will not be in classes with them next year ). I am also questioning whether it was the right course for me in the first place, and am struggling to get motivated to do the work. If I pass the first year I will have achieved a certificate of higher education at level 4.
    I am a mature student with a husband and children and as such got the Maintenance loan & tuition fee loan, plus the maintenance grant, adult dependents grant, parents learning allowance and childcare grant this year. I also got a bursary from the university.
    If I were to get on to a full 3 year honours degree course starting in September, would I be eligible for student finance? Would this be the full package or just the loans? Would I have to pay back the grants I got this year if I left my current course?
    The university website says that bursaries don't have to be paid back unless you leave the course, which is also a concern. I don't know what to do, it's not looking good and i could do with some advice

ReputationRep:
    As you've only studied for 1 year before quitting, then yes, you would be eligible for full support like all students. All students are entitled to a gift year.

Unfortunately you will have to pay back all the financial support you have received for this year, but your future entitlement to student finance won't be affected.

Kind regards.

ReputationRep:
    I rang SF today and they said I would have to pay back anything that was meant to cover the period from when I withdraw from the course through to September, so around 10 weeks money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divastrop)
    I rang SF today and they said I would have to pay back anything that was meant to cover the period from when I withdraw from the course through to September, so around 10 weeks money.
    Yep, just as I said.

So that's not too bad! And you can study again next year with the same support as you've only used the gift year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also a mature student doing the first year of a FD and realised its not for me. I'm completing the current year and starting a full degree in September.

Nobody has said anything about having to pay anything back or not getting the second payment of the bursary but that may be because I'm continuing until the end of the year.

I completed next years SF as if I was to continue with the FD thinking that I'd just be able to change the course later.... I should have known SF wouldn't be that simple!

I've had to re apply for everything from scratch again, but they did say they wouldn't need my marriage cert. and some other items as they'd get them from my previous application. I'm still entitled to everything I was previously, including adult dependant grant etc.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Sparklebox- sorry I thought you meant I would be liable to pay back ALL the SF in one go from this year, rather than the June-September.

Brock- Hi, thanks for the reply. That is very interesting as you seem to be in the exact same situation as me. I am going to complete this year of the FD, which will take me up to June as I still have to complete work placement hours.

The thing about paying back the Bursary was on my current uni's website, it just said at the bottom it had to be paid back if you withdraw from the course.

ReputationRep:
    One benefit of my course change is that I'm able to internally transfer from the FD to MEng within the same university, not that it should make any difference.

I can't see why you should have to pay back the bursary if you are completing the full year! I suspect that if you left part way through the course then you would have to pay back some or maybe even all of the bursary, but definitely not if you're seeing it through to the end of year 1.

At least you have work experience on your FD, where I've been doing mine we haven't been able to get even 1 hour!

ReputationRep:
    Brock-

So are you starting a full degree from scratch or transfering to start the full degree from the second year?

I can't do the degree I want to do through my current uni as it is at a campus which is too far away

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.