Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Been considering my offers, just wondering if there is any point in going to uwe to study law over somewhere with a better reputation but less of a social life like aberystwyth. Really stuck on where to go, Bristol offers (in my opinion) a much better social life but at the end of the day its about employability.

What does everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    UWE. People seem to forget, that although uni reputation helps, at the end of the day, you get yourself a job, not the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my9rides)
    UWE. People seem to forget, that although uni reputation helps, at the end of the day, you get yourself a job, not the university.
    Don't know if this is 100% fair to say. Its a little ridiculous when people on here debate the merits of employment from unis like Nottingham vs. Warwick. But to pick, say, London Met over UCL would be rediculous. The uni's rep does matter--and it will land you a better job. Now as far as aber vs. UWE--looking at the employment stats, there's really no difference between the two. I would say go with the one that suits you, as these two have pretty identical employment profiles.

ReputationRep:
    If you have an offer at Bristol, that's probably rated substantially better for law than UWE and Aber, and therefore offers better employability. The fact that you prefer the social life there is a definite strong point, so I'd recommend looking there.

ReputationRep:
    law is a bum degree unless you are committed to being a lawyer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiirk)
    UWE is in Bristol... He is referring to the social life in Bristol.
    Ah. Now I feel like an idiot. Sorry for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    Ah. Now I feel like an idiot. Sorry for that.
    I salute your contribution to legal debate on this forum - just won't use you as a navigator !

Seriously, though, your mistake actually highlights a point that the OP might want to consider. While UWE is often referred to as "the other university in Bristol" and sits well down the league tables, it is also home to the Bristol Law School and the Bristol Institute of Legal Practice, LPC and BPTC providers. This has produced a large, vibrant and well resourced law department overall. One of the best law libraries you'll come across outside of the big players, certainly the best in the South West of England, is at UWE. A very active Pro Bono unit provides opportunities from year 1 undergrad through to BPTC level often with supervision from the professional courses staff. If LPC or BPTC are a direction you might go in then it's well worth consideration. This has also allowed the undergrad department to develop close links with the legal profession in Bristol. Good transport links - 5 minutes from the M4 and 15 minutes walk from Bristol Parkway rail station mean that London ( and interviews ) is only 2 hours away. I think it's worth consideration.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying law at UWE and I would definitely advise it.. The business and law school here provides all the support you need and I find all the facilities here to be great. The library has a whole floor dedicated just to law which is really helpful... And the social life in Bristol is good too! The employability rates here are high especially for Law as it will often lead you on to a legal career. UWE doesn't have a bad reputation so i wouldn't worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claire.91)
    I am currently studying law at UWE and I would definitely advise it.. The business and law school here provides all the support you need and I find all the facilities here to be great. The library has a whole floor dedicated just to law which is really helpful... And the social life in Bristol is good too! The employability rates here are high especially for Law as it will often lead you on to a legal career. UWE doesn't have a bad reputation so i wouldn't worry about that.
    Hi there.
    I am currently a yr 2 student in Malaysia and would be transferring to UK in my yr 3 which is the coming September.
    Currently I'm split between liverpool and UWE to put as my firm choice. Gotta make my final decision by 15 April 2011.

I would like to know how's the teaching at UWE? Which accomodation are you living in?

I want to take cyberlaw and both uni have it. However, UWE offers a full module whereas liverpool offers it as a half module. Apart from that, it is course-based and exam-based for UWE while it is 100% course-based for liverpool.
    Personally I'm not so into course-based work and would prefer a full module. Judging from that, UWE would appear to be a better choice.

But I understand that the cost of living in Bristol is higher than liverpool which is 1 of the factors that I need to take into account.

At the same time, I am also concerned with the employability rate but as you said studying at UWE has high employability rate too. There are also views that liverpool has a higher employability rate which I believe is due to the league ranking.

Any advice given would be deeply appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    OP - I had offers from Exeter Cornwall Campus and UEA. Although I had the opportunity to graduate from the 'University of Exeter', I chose UEA because I don't think I'd enjoy spending 2 years in Falmouth; even though they transfer law undergrads to the main campus in year three. I was also guaranteed a place abroad with UEA, and have heard nothing but positive things about the social scene.

Put it this way - I think in a better social enviroment, you'll be so much happier with life and will enjoy your three years; which in turn will hopefully result in you getting better grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my9rides)
    The uni may get you the interview.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.