Turn on thread page Beta

Can someone from a lower-middle class background climb to higher-middle class? watch

ReputationRep:
    Neither of my parents went to university or have a degree, and neither have any sort of prestigious job. However, I've been privately educated for my whole life and have gone on to one of the country's top 'posh' universities, renowned for turning out members of the upper-middle classes.

At university I have found myself in a social group of people who are quite clearly from the upper-middle and sometimes upper classes, and I feel that I share the same values and cultural views as them. I have found since developing into an adult that my own values and opinions differ somewhat from that of my parents, and I am conventionally 'well-spoken' or 'posh', whereas they are not.

My question is, is it possible for a child to grow to be a different social class to their parents through having had a privileged life and private education and mixing with members of the other class?

I stand out quite clearly as 'different' in my family and although I have not yet had a chance to have a job or earn an income of my own, is it possible for someone's attitudes and manner alone at a young age to define their class?

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily through private education or mixing with members of other classes, but yes.

ReputationRep:
    yea it is

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty much the same as you, except I kind of messed up on my A levels and ended up at Trent!
    Your parents sound like mine too
    The whole 'class' system doesn't bother me though. Everyone judges it differently.

ReputationRep:
    You were certainly listening to Jeremy Vine today, who was discussing this very topic. Fortunately I rescued my ears before I heard the opinions of complete brain-sapping idiots that Radio 2 believe are representative of the population.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Of course it is. Have you never seen Titanic and what Rose's mother says about the American woman played by Kathy Bates, about her being "new money"?

I've had a very different education and upbringing to what my parents had when they were my age. My health means I may never be able to work full-time (or at least not for quite a while) but if I ever am able to get a full-time job with a good salary, I'll probably end up being middle class even though my background and current state is working class :yes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.