Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apparently most people now define themselves as middle class. 71% of Brits self-define as middle class. Apparently this is a good thing as it means we must all be the same (LOL) and the class system must be on the way out (LOL again). This is wrong on both counts. Firstly just because people consider themselves middle class, it doesn't mean they consider others to be middle class. They still see themselves somewhere within a strict social strata.

Sadly this looks like yet another aspect of American culture that has wormed its way into Britain. For a long time many poor Americans have considered themselves middle class and now the delusion has entered Britain. Of course this is in part about the generational divide. The young of today are much worse off than their parents, yet if you're born middle class, you remain, whatever job you're doing.

I'm tempted to say the REAL middle class (as it was traditionally understood) is actually in decline. The power of multinationals in a globalised economy is empowering the rich and disempowering the middles classes, who see their wages and living standards stagnate as they lose their privileges like employment protection and pensions. Their degrees don't necessarily make them more employable than the working classes, particularly Arts ones. Finally look at the demographics. Middle class families appear to have fewer children (they're expensive) whereas the poor get more generous welfare benefits. This point may be overstated but it is true. I suspect what we will see is a rise in the old working class and a decline in the middle class and I don't care how many people go to university, it won't change that fact.

ReputationRep:
    I'm High Class, you got a ghetto ass?

How does one define "middle class"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    How does one define "middle class"?
    The official definition is anyone earning above £15,000 and no I'm not joking. That definition was made decades ago when that kind of income was way above the average wage but has never been changed.

ReputationRep:
    I think I heard something on the news recently which said that practically everyone considers themselves middle class these days. Perhaps we need new terminology: economy, business / club, and first class?

ReputationRep:
    Most people still are working class.

ReputationRep:
    The middle class grew rapidly under Labour, as you would expect, as after all the middle class is created from the working class. And it was not just in perception that it grew; it is not uncommon now for tradespeople and manual workers to be earning £40k+ per year.

Unfortunately, I would expect the middle class to decline now that the Tories are in power. Centre-left politics creates the middle class, centre-right politics narrows it.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.