Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hi thanks for your concern, I have two questions which I need advice on if you'd take the time to help me;
    Long story short... when I was applying to UCAS I thought I wanted to do Astrophysics, I've come to realise that while I do like the science of space I'm far more passionate and interested in particle and nuclear physics :s and quantum physics.

    I now have 4 offers for astrophysics courses from across the UK. There course I'm most interested in was Kent's "Astronomy, Space Science and Astrophysics with a year in the USA". Its a 4 year course which results in Msci degree.

    My first question is would it be possible to take extra particle physics modules on a course that specific? Or could I switch too a particle physics course without losing the opportunity to study in the USA for a year which for me is important as it replaced the need for a gap year. (Which I was gonna do until I heard about tuition fees issue).

    Second question is would a degree from Kent be good enough to get me onto a PH.D. course anywhere? or do they only take the best university's? Because I do want to do one.

    Bonus, I have an offer from Birmingham which I don't think I'm gonna achieve the entry grades for by quite a small margin, is it worth asking them to lower my offer? Or is the typical response to that a great resounding No.

    Additional info:
    Taking further maths AS (which i've heard is good for physics courses)
    Looking to get A* in maths level (very possible)
    Did an extended project in science and got a B.

    Thanks for your time!!
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

    Applying to uni?

    Our tool will help you find the perfect course


    Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

    Quick link:

    Educational debate unanswered threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.