Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My Guide to applying to CSM for fine art (based on a successful application for 2011
    All information is based on my application and may change!

1. The mini-portfolio
    A sneaky ploy by UAL...
    - every applicant needs to send a mini portfolio containing 12 A4 photos of their work and a 250(i think) word statement. The deadline was ridiculously early (24/5th JAN!) so get this sorted as soon as you know you're applying there!

2. Portfolio inspection
    Applicants that get past the first (essentially pointless - I think it was to sift out any people that hadn't got their arse in gear) stage will get called for a portfolio inspection day which composes of

- Arrival/waiting.
    I was scheduled for the afternoon session (there being 1 morning and 1 afternoon) And arrived at 2 (i think). Waited until half past, at which point the group gathered in the lobby were slit in half and sent into 2 rooms for the...

- Portfolio inspection
    A large room is set out, in which everyone places their portfolio and leaves it for inspection

I was expecting a tour at this point, but was left to explore the wonders of Archway.

More waiting
    A pretty nervous wait to find out if i was selected for the interview stage

List of names
    I arrived back at maybe 4 (?) at which point a list of names was read out: those on the list had an interview, those not were politely told to **** off.
    (although it says on the website that if you don't get an interview you can still get an offer [or words to that extent] it's bull-star star star star)

More waiting
    I was at the bottom of that list, so had an hour wait (as other people waiting with me were called) before my interview...

the interview - 10mins total
    1. Questions about my work
    -I was asked to talk to the (two) tutors about my work, for about 5 minutes. I selected my most recent piece and talked about it - with some 'interruptions' from the tutors - asking why I'd done certain things.

2. 'Set questions'

-Why CSM? - I think I made up some kak about the community learning atmosphere

-Where else did you apply? - My answer should've been NONE OF YOUR ****ING BUSINESS, MR (perhaps not shouted, perhaps addressed to a Mrs). But i bumbled and told them a couple of places I'd applied to. In this situation tell them it has nothing to do with it and pledge your allegiance to UAL!

-What are your other interests? - I think i told them of my love for the Coen Brothers, or thought to myself that i should have done afterwards.

3. They let nothing on
    - little smiling, or complimenting - perhaps for fairness , perhaps to test your mettle, perhaps because they are pretentious

I found out 2 and-a-bit weeks after the interview

Any questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talkingparrod)
    My Guide to applying to CSM for fine art (based on a successful application for 2011
    All information is based on my application and may change!

1. The mini-portfolio
    A sneaky ploy by UAL...
    - every applicant needs to send a mini portfolio containing 12 A4 photos of their work and a 250(i think) word statement. The deadline was ridiculously early (24/5th JAN!) so get this sorted as soon as you know you're applying there!

2. Portfolio inspection
    Applicants that get past the first (essentially pointless - I think it was to sift out any people that hadn't got their arse in gear) stage will get called for a portfolio inspection day which composes of

- Arrival/waiting.
    I was scheduled for the afternoon session (there being 1 morning and 1 afternoon) And arrived at 2 (i think). Waited until half past, at which point the group gathered in the lobby were slit in half and sent into 2 rooms for the...

- Portfolio inspection
    A large room is set out, in which everyone places their portfolio and leaves it for inspection

I was expecting a tour at this point, but was left to explore the wonders of Archway.

More waiting
    A pretty nervous wait to find out if i was selected for the interview stage

List of names
    I arrived back at maybe 4 (?) at which point a list of names was read out: those on the list had an interview, those not were politely told to **** off.
    (although it says on the website that if you don't get an interview you can still get an offer [or words to that extent] it's bull-star star star star)

More waiting
    I was at the bottom of that list, so had an hour wait (as other people waiting with me were called) before my interview...

the interview - 10mins total
    1. Questions about my work
    -I was asked to talk to the (two) tutors about my work, for about 5 minutes. I selected my most recent piece and talked about it - with some 'interruptions' from the tutors - asking why I'd done certain things.

2. 'Set questions'

-Why CSM? - I think I made up some kak about the community learning atmosphere

-Where else did you apply? - My answer should've been NONE OF YOUR ****ING BUSINESS, MR (perhaps not shouted, perhaps addressed to a Mrs). But i bumbled and told them a couple of places I'd applied to. In this situation tell them it has nothing to do with it and pledge your allegiance to UAL!

-What are your other interests? - I think i told them of my love for the Coen Brothers, or thought to myself that i should have done afterwards.

3. They let nothing on
    - little smiling, or complimenting - perhaps for fairness , perhaps to test your mettle, perhaps because they are pretentious

I found out 2 and-a-bit weeks after the interview

Any questions just ask
    Hi, just saw your post. Congratulations!
    I was wondering, do you have an online portfolio, or is there another way that I could see your work, just so I can make an idea of what they're looking for? cheers

ReputationRep:
    is this thread still alive?! very useful at this time of year, application time

ReputationRep:
    I heard the odds were 1 in 10 last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambiee)
    I heard the odds were 1 in 10 last year
    that's not that bad... my dream course is 30 places to about 600+ applicants?

ReputationRep:
    Thats helpful, so did u get in?!!!

I have a portfolio review tomorrow at 9:45! scared!!!!! any advice?? not sure how to prep for it, the instructions they provided on the emails ere confusing and not straight forward!!!

ReputationRep:
    HI!

I studied at CSM, I can answer any questions you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esme-Kitten)
    HI!

I studied at CSM, I can answer any questions you have.
    Hey,
    Ive just completed my foundation and am taking a gap year to do some travelling and work on my portfolio. Do you know when the majority of interviews take place if i get my application in nice and early?

Also my work is mostly sculptural but I'm a decent drawer should i be trying to put drawings in my portfolio as well and are they interested in life drawings?
    Do they want you to have a running concept throughout your portfolio?

Sorry so many questions!
    But finally did you enjoy studying at CSM??

ReputationRep:
    Hi, a had a couple of life drawings in my mini portfolio. The rest were just sketches, mock ups and sketchbook pages (few on one page) supporting the final pieces. Basically a one screen with a piece and then a couple of screens with combined sketches and scans of sketchbook to show the process and development of ideas.
    I arranged my portfolio in a similar way, although last minute removed irrelevant stuff. You need to learn to be less precious with your work and rather show a concise thing than bit of everything.
    During the interview you will have chance to discuss your ideas and the portfolio should be there to help you illustrate the way you work and not really show that you're able to use different techniques (especially if you're not really good at something - no point showing life drawings which are off or mediocre photography etc.).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.