Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

    hi everyone

    a question..
    well, i want to do MEng and then another degree on the top of it! (like economics..)
    is that possible? if yes, do i do an undergraduate degree in that subject or Masters? thnx

    If you have your eye on a PhD, then a taught MA is always valuable as, unlike those who go straight from an undergraduate degree to doctoral study, the department you apply to will be well aware of the additional research preparation and skills which is a vital part of any taught MA course.

    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    Oxford style, actually.

    And you should care, if I was hiring and someone had put ph.D on their CV instead of writing it properly I'd put the CV straight in the bin. Plus, think of the person who has to read your dissertation :rolleyes:

    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    Right. So, sorry, I don't care what you reckon you would do to my cv, because in the real world any decent professor would never let some pencil pusher decide off their own bat that an applicant is "****" and throw the cv in the bin just because they didn't put a full stop in their PhD.

    Suzanathema seems to have some difficulty in distinguishing between the style guide of a particular publisher and Holy writ.

    She refers to Ph.D as Oxford style. It may be the house style of Oxford University Press; I do not know. It is certainly not the house style of Oxford University which prefers PhD. See

How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.