Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to do Sports Journalism at Uni in 2012 but just looking for some opinions from people that have been to Uni and can suggest the best one to go for, not nescecerilly academically, but for general lifestyle. I love a drink/party, and prefer city life and i'm pretty sociable. I prefer up north to down here aswell. Any advice big or small is welcome! The uni's that do it are ..

Bolded are the ones that have interested me the most.

Anglia Ruskin
    Bedfordshire
    Brighton
    Central Lancashire -
    Chester
    University for the Creative Arts
    University of East London
    Huddersfield
    Leeds Trinity
    UCP Marjon
    Southampton Solent
    Staffordshire
    Sunderland
    West of Scotland
    University of the Arts London

ReputationRep:
    An important thing to consider when making the decision to study journalism, is if the degree is accredited by journalism councils (NCTJ etc.). If it is not, you will have to take the qualification either alongside your degree or after you graduate, if you want to get ahead of the game (Solent for example, is not completely accredited). It is costly to get the qualification separately. So read into the courses at different universities and see who acknowledges it and what pros come with studying journalism there. Bournemouth, for example, is completely accredited but that is for straight journalism.

In my opinion, straight journalism may be a better option. It opens more avenues for you and you will be covering more or less the same things in both (law, politics, practical work and research etc.). You will also have more university options, better universities whose journalism courses are highly regarded and fully accredited.

As for partying, I'm sure there will be plenty of that at whichever uni you choose to go to. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you're more concerned about the quality of nightclubs than the quality of teaching, then you should probably consider whether going to Uni is really the best thing to do.

Surely you're going to university to learn, not to get slaughtered every night? But if you're not bothered about learning, don't bother wasting ten grand on a degree. Just think how many pints you could buy with that money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topcat91)
    If you're more concerned about the quality of nightclubs than the quality of teaching, then you should probably consider whether going to Uni is really the best thing to do.

Surely you're going to university to learn, not to get slaughtered every night? But if you're not bothered about learning, don't bother wasting ten grand on a degree. Just think how many pints you could buy with that money
    OR the OP has already decided on the course he wishes to study and is confident that Sports Journalism is what he wants to do, and is merely looking at other factors which may sway his decision when choosing a university to study the subject at e.g. social life etc.?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.