Turn on thread page Beta

London South Bank unveils it's fees for 2012 watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this is a joke.

£8390

Who would actually pay that to go to London South Bank? Who?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well if you do pay it then I guess you deserve to go there.

ReputationRep:
    For the price of a dishwasher you could upgrade to oxford
    A dishwasher or 50 bottles of vodka

ReputationRep:
    Expensive toilet paper.

ReputationRep:
    I would pay that to go there depending on what I was studying - I've heard it's excellent for nursing and midwifery - but then I think they get a stipend or something anyway. Would be interesting if the fees market opened to up include courses too so you wouldn't pay so much to go to a uni that was rubbish for your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made)
    For the price of a dishwasher you could upgrade to oxford
    A dishwasher or 50 bottles of vodka
    Well, no. You don't buy a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Well, no. You don't buy a degree.
    This is London South Bank; you could have a monkey complete an exam in your place and you'd pass with a first. It is as close as it is possible to get in this country towards buying a (terrible) degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    This is London South Bank; you could have a monkey complete an exam in your place and you'd pass with a first. It is as close as it is possible to get in this country towards buying a (terrible) degree.
    This is irrelevant to the point I was making.

It's not the case that someone can simply choose to pay a few hundred pounds more to get an Oxbridge degree, so I don't know why people are acting as if that's the case. Last year, nobody would point out that for the same price, one could get an Oxbridge degree instead of a [insert university name here] degree, so why are they doing it now when there is actually a difference in price? Bizarre.

A free market in which people can buy a place at university does not exist. There is something called entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    This is irrelevant to the point I was making.

It's not the case that someone can simply choose to pay a few hundred pounds more to get an Oxbridge degree, so I don't know why people are acting as if that's the case. Last year, nobody would point out that for the same price, one could get an Oxbridge degree instead of a [insert university name here] degree, so why are they doing it now when there is actually a difference in price? Bizarre.
    Because now a single year of university costs the same as my entire degree will.

Also, universities now have £3,000 leeway between the highest and lowest standard fees compared to a few hundred quid under the current system. Obviously they've also seen a big slash in funding but one would have at least hoped for some basic competition leading to prices coming down.

ReputationRep:
    It is all rather strange- I find it really hard to understand that S/B University's officials/adminstrators realistically foresee their University being able to survive. Presumably those students who may have opted to study at S/B under the notion that £3000 a year tuition isn't actually that bad would now surely consider £8390 a price which doesn't reflect the value of a degree given by S/B-

This could only result in one thing- a signifigant decrease in student numbers, and thus: ultimate closure of the University. Which doesn't come as a surprise to me, but do correct me if I'm perhaps being slightly unrealistic in my observations. Such situations are likely to be the case throughout the many Universities, particularly the less selective Universities, that are yet to declare their fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Because now a single year of university costs the same as my entire degree will.

Also, universities now have £3,000 leeway between the highest and lowest standard fees compared to a few hundred quid under the current system. Obviously they've also seen a big slash in funding but one would have at least hoped for some basic competition leading to prices coming down.
    When the top up fees were last announced, it meant a single year of university would cost the same as an entire degree for the previous year. And a leeway between prices still existed. Nobody forced universities to charge £3,000, they chose to do that. They could have chosen to charge £300.

But that really isn't thee point. The point is that an applicant cannot choose to pay to pay an extra £x to go to a better university.

ReputationRep:
    The only way I'd pay more than £6k for a degree year is if it was at a top 10 university. I'd choose instead to not go to university than pay any more. I'm sure many others will feel the same. Liverpool uni have announced intentions to charge £9k per year and there's no way I would have applied at that price.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Many people will - people on TSR underestimate hugely how much some people do not want to get a job and overestimate the importance most people place on how good the university is. It is in London, that alone will gain it plenty of applications.

Would I pay it? No. But I doubt I would bother with university with the new fees.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.