Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I think I might have dyspraxia. What should I do? watch

Do nothing? I was diagnosed with developmental dyspraxia. Don't really DO anything about it, and I don't generally tell people anyway. I'm just clumsy to them, hell it used to be called clumsy child syndrome.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Bump for day people opinions! Not that there's anything wrong with night people.
    i'm both

(Original post by Watcher7)
    If you're at college, ask your Advice & Guidance people if you can sort out an assessment through the faculty. If not, go to your GP.

If you're at university, there should be a disability support department kicking around somewhere. I suggest asking one of your tutors - it's how I got my assessment.

Either way, they should let you take your exams on laptop after your assessment.

Also, don't sweat not being able to do certain things. I'm dyspraxic, and I know what it's like growing up as the kid who gets picked last for every sport going because I can't throw, can't catch, can't even make a decent goalpost because I fall over if I stand still for too long.

But you know what? Screw it. My internal tremor's so bad that I'm a human vibrator, and my girlfriend wouldn't have it any other way .
    ahaha i have dyspraxia too, luckily it only affected my speech as a toddler. think i got off very lightly!

For the past few months, I've wondered if I'm borderline dyspraxic.
    I never actually knew about dyspraxia until Daniel Radcliffe said he had it.

I have always held my pen funny and my handwriting is awful. Sometimes it hurts to write, always if I have to write a lot (a page+) or fast.

I also have difficulty typing. What I mean by this is that I have difficulty in getting letters in the right order when I type, I will have all the right letters, just not neccessarily in the right order. I had to concentrate sooo hard to spell dyspraxia right, even though if I hand-wrote it I would have no issue. I have no idea if this is anything to do with dyspraxia or not-does anyone else have anything like this??

I have and always have had shocking co-ordination. I cannot throw, catch, kick a ball or hit a ball with a bat/racket. I can't even catch a pen if someone throws it to me across the classroom which is probs only 3-4 metres away.

It was interesting to read your (the op's) post about how if a teacher/lecturer just chats on and on you don't take in any of it. I also have this problem and I have to try take notes so I can look at it again later. This could just be that I am not at all an audio learner.

How do you dyspraxics revise?
    I always have to copy out all my notes again for the info to stick in my head

Anyway, sorry for the ramble

I don't know if I'm dyspraxic but I can't learn by copying at all! The best thing for me is to be interactive. You can do this easily with a friend i.e. teaching or explaining but with yourself, it's a bit harder. I just simply read something really slowly and then explain it over to myself in my own phrasing and my own explanation without looking at the textbook. Then I write the explanation down then I try explaining to myself in a different way. I gotta make it really stick!

I am slightly dyspraxic, but I have improved a lot in the last 5 years. I played a lot of hockey in goal as I was useless on the pitch. Using my gloves ( a big surface) allowed me to work on my dyspraxia as I did not have to be exact to begin with. I still have some problems catching an hitting a ball, but it has improved my handwriting and general co-ordination.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.