Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Had my license revoked - only been driving for.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    She was taking her sister to hospital. I imagine most people would do the same when put in that position, I certainly would.
    999 is there for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    If someone is tailgating you, you are meant to slow down. Then increase your speed to create a gap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanr593)
    There is coz ppl generally do hjust over 30 mph so without the ten percent everybody would be paying fines all the time
    There is no 'rule'. That is to 10% +/- on SPEED CAMERAS is to account for speedometers being innacurate. It doesn't mean you can go 30-33 without getting caught.

ReputationRep:
    That is pretty embarrassing, a girl in my year got her license revoked because she got 9 points in the first 6 months of driving. She is driving again now though, you'll just have to take your test again, i can't even pass mine for the first time

Lots of people forgetting the OP hadn't even been driving for three weeks. It's easy to say 'ignore tailgators' but when you're new it isn't easy when you also have eleventy billion other things to worry about.

(Original post by Knowslian)
    For your first speeding offense as far as I'm aware; you can take some sort of speeding awareness course for about £90, which you pass (its piss easy) to get 0 points for the offense. Provided its within two years of getting your licence? A colleague from work did that.

Perhaps someone can clarify this?
    As someone said earlier it's down to the individual authority. I got caught speeding (65 in a 50) by a mobile camera 6 months after I passed my test and was never offered the course. I think if you've only been driving for a couple of weeks they would be reluctant to offer the course because you've gone ahead and broken the law so soon after passing the test. I probably wasn't offered it because I was so far over the limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Furgo)
    I did appeal, not received a definite answer yet. The points have already been applied though so can't do anything until I get an answer. I doubt my appeal will be accepted because I got flashed not just pulled over by an officer. Although I did include medical records etc so..
    You'll only be given penalty points and a fine if you accept the Notice of Intention to Prosecute and the conditional offer of a set penalty. If you request a hearing on the issue after receiving the NIP, then you're not given a penalty because - and it's quite logical if you think about it - you are still innocent until proven guilty or accepting a penalty.

(Original post by Rizzletastic)
    There is no 'rule'. That is to 10% +/- on SPEED CAMERAS is to account for speedometers being innacurate. It doesn't mean you can go 30-33 without getting caught.
    Speedometers almost always underestimate speed rather than overestimate it, and there is generally some grace given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    You'll only be given penalty points and a fine if you accept the Notice of Intention to Prosecute and the conditional offer of a set penalty. If you request a hearing on the issue after receiving the NIP, then you're not given a penalty because - and it's quite logical if you think about it - you are still innocent until proven guilty or accepting a penalty.
    And when you get found guilty by the magistrates you will get even more points and a bigger fine.

The only defences against a speeding offence are - wasn't speeding, wasn't me driving or wasn't adequate indication of speed limit.

ReputationRep:
    Hey OP, guess what.

Yeah, you're one

ReputationRep:
    She was taking her sister to hospital. I imagine most people would do the same when put in that position, I certainly would.
    And i imagine that all those who fight the decision have some sort of sob story as to why there were doing it.

Im not saying your lying OP but i doubt you could sucessfully fight it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wakkawakka)
    And when you get found guilty by the magistrates you will get even more points and a bigger fine.

The only defences against a speeding offence are - wasn't speeding, wasn't me driving or wasn't adequate indication of speed limit.
    That's simply not true. Judges have discretion over sentencing issues.

Even despite being guilty of an offence, transporting someone to hospital in an emergency or even simply the need to use a car for certain purposes are both perfectly reasonable grounds to highlight in a plea in mitigation. Any outcome, including being entirely admonished, or a fine without penalty points, is possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    And i imagine that all those who fight the decision have some sort of sob story as to why there were doing it.

Im not saying your lying OP but i doubt you could sucessfully fight it
    Believe it or not, that's what pleas in mitigation are all about. Every sentencing judge has to hear them, and they usually accept them. I'm always amazed at how receptive judges are when a man with a schedule of convictions as long as a giraffe's neck has his lawyer stand up and say that he's turned a corner and has made real progress in his life - just as happened the last time. Seeing a well dressed young woman with no convictions and a genuine plea for leniency in a court would be a bloody novelty!

Plus, of course, it would be very possible for both her sister and the hospital to provide documented evidence of such a claim.

ReputationRep:
    Do the test again and learn where the cameras are in your area. Unfortunately, your insurance is gonna skyrocket if you've had a license revoked.

ReputationRep:
    To be on the roads you should be confident enough to drive without worrying someone's going to ram the back of you. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    999 is there for a reason.
    True, but often ambulances can take up to half an hour to arrive, and if she lives within close proximity to a hospital it may be quicker to drive. We don't know the whole story, but my point is that if I was in a situation where I needed to drive somebody to a hospital, and it was urgent, I wouldn't be too bothered about breaking the speed limit.

(Original post by silverbolt)
    Indeed. I believe her, but you're right in saying that it wouldn't really get her anywhere.

Edit: Actually L i b has a point in that if the hospital can provide evidence, then it would quite obviously be true.

ReputationRep:
    Have you accepted a Fixed Penalty Notice for the speeding? If not consider getting legal advice - if I recall correctly if obeying the speed limits hinders the purpose for which the vehicle is being used (eg stopping crime, save property and most importantly saving life) then they don't apply. I'd say you're bang to rights for the red light mind. However, as previously said one or both may result in you being able to attend a driver improvement course of some kind - worth doing that instead of contesting it for the speeding.

If you've accepted two fixed penalty notices then you've no longer got any right to appeal - the process under the New Drivers Act 1995 is not the same as a disqualification process for 2+ year drivers, which is done by a court and they (usually) get their licence back with no issues after the disqualification. The accrual of 6 points is a straight revocation of your licence by the DVLA and not involving a court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wakkawakka)

you can however get mitigating circumstances - in effect, they can give you an unconditional discharge. You can also sometimes get less points and a bigger fine, or no points and a fine etc, depending on the situation and how well you present yourself to the magistrate!

ReputationRep:
    True, but often ambulances can take up to half an hour to arrive, and if she lives within close proximity to a hospital it may be quicker to drive. We don't know the whole story, but my point is that if I was in a situation where I needed to drive somebody to a hospital, and it was urgent, I wouldn't be too bothered about breaking the speed limit.
    Ambulances would usually take no more than 8 minutes to get there if his sister was life threatening, which fitting is usually not, and it has a driver who has had 3 weeks intensive training on how to drive on blue lights and claiming exemptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Furgo)
    I know but it's not that easy, I don't think the camera would have picked up the guy behind me so it's pretty impossible to prove that's why I kept going
    Fair enough, there's always a chance there could have been cctv in the area? Bit i guess it's a longshot, don't give up driving, take your test again All new drivers make mistakes and even the old ones make plenty too! I've been driving just iver a year now and i still do silly things sometimes! You just have to learn from them i guess I've got a habit of setting speed cameras on the other side of the road off! haha, they can't get you from the other side but it still scares me everytime!

ReputationRep:
    Remember this: If they rear end you, it is their fault. Especially in a situation such as this. So what if you go through insurance? It'd be a bit of a pain but you'd still have your license.

ReputationRep:
    If you stopped for the traffic lights and the guy tail-gating you crashed into you, it's his fault. Not yours. He'd be lieable for the repair costs, if any. Forget about them and concentrate on your own driving and what's infront. Hein sight is a wonderful thing.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.