Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be graduating next year and I was wondering when is the best time to start applying for jobs.

We have our last exams in June 2012, should I start applying a month before or longer?

For the people who have graduated and applied for jobs before they graduated, when did you start applying? Did it work out? Also, what advice would to students applying for jobs before they graduate?

ReputationRep:
    Decide what sort of jobs you want to apply for this summer, and spend some time getting your CV up to date and presented nicely. Find out as much as you can about the jobs at the top of your list, especially what sort of person they are looking for and most importantly when applications for 2012 open. If the jobs you are applying for are all the same (as it was for me) you can also write a standard cover letter which will only need to be modified a small amount for each application. Graduate jobs tend to open for applications in the autumn and ideally you want to be applying for each as soon as possible after it opens. Some graduate schemes (e.g. the one that have offered me a job for next year) made offers weeks ago.

I seriously recommend applying for everything as early as possible while your workload is light. Later in the year as course deadlines pile up, job applications will get pushed to the bottom of your priorities so you want to have done as much as you can before then. A lot of application forms (particularly for larger companies) include specific questions and can take a long time to fill in but they need to be done, and you need to give them the time they deserve!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Decide what sort of jobs you want to apply for this summer, and spend some time getting your CV up to date and presented nicely. Find out as much as you can about the jobs at the top of your list, especially what sort of person they are looking for and most importantly when applications for 2012 open. If the jobs you are applying for are all the same (as it was for me) you can also write a standard cover letter which will only need to be modified a small amount for each application. Graduate jobs tend to open for applications in the autumn and ideally you want to be applying for each as soon as possible after it opens. Some graduate schemes (e.g. the one that have offered me a job for next year) made offers weeks ago.

I seriously recommend applying for everything as early as possible while your workload is light. Later in the year as course deadlines pile up, job applications will get pushed to the bottom of your priorities so you want to have done as much as you can before then. A lot of application forms (particularly for larger companies) include specific questions and can take a long time to fill in but they need to be done, and you need to give them the time they deserve!
    Thanks a lot for the feedback thefish_uk. This was very useful!

BTW, i'm applying for IT jobs (mostly software development jobs).

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get on a *graduate scheme* you generally need to be applying october - December, although some close apps a bit later. The quicker you apply the better because
    - often they are on a first come first serve basis, ie when they find someone good enough thy take then
    - they do close apps early
    - your workload increases the further you get into the year

The application processes are usualy very long, with many stages, I applied to the job I eventually accepted in late October/early November and got offered a place in feb.

Loads of my friends have missed te boat- don't let that happen to you

ReputationRep:
    I planned in the summer before my final year of uni which jobs I would be applying for October onwards. I was one of the only of my friends to do so, and therefore the only one with a job.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd start applying for them as soon as they open, to be honest. I applied for a summer internship and the application process for that was exactly the same as for the graduate schemes for that company and oh my what a ****ing hassle it is! All those competency questions, online tests, assessment centres and the like. And many also have telephone interviews, too.

Now with the job situation the way it is at the moment, many people with arts/humanities degrees who want onto generic management type graduate schemes are going to have to apply to dozens and dozens of these online applications. That really would be time sapping. So apply as early as possible.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.