The Student Room Group

Are a guys interests important to girls for attraction?

Keep anon mods.
Let's say a guy has vague interests i.e. he likes a good film, watches tv, watches the footy, go's to the gym and goes out with mates. I mean would this make a guy seem boring with no attractive attributes if it is the same as most others?

On the other hand, you have a guy who likes to do all the above but has a harcore passion for woodwork (I myself am a bit of a craftsman). Would this be important in attraction. I mean now there's distinctive attributes between this guy and other guys.
Basically you wouldn't go for a guy who was quite plain and boring with nothing to offer. Am I along the right lines girls?
Well apparently according to TSR girls, they don't like guys who spend their lives in the gym, even though it takes about a mere 4 hours in the gym a week to keep a good body. So watch out for that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I suppose it makes a guy more unique...
Reply 3
Shared interests are attractive, even if that is something as 'vague' and 'boring' as liking similar films.
I love guys who have a passion for something, especially a sport. Like a guy who likes mountain climbing really attracts me...I don't know why.
Enjoying a movie, wathcing tv and going out with freinds aren't " interests" in my opinion
I'd imagine many girls would see these things as normal things to do

In response to your question, however, participating in something more unusual, like part of a charity, or participate in sports at a higher level, are things some women may find attractive.
Some women i find are conditioned to considering certain things attractive though...if you listen to girls talking about a guy, they often will say stuff like " oh , and he is captain of the football team" etc as a way of impressing their friends
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Yep, if a guy has a passion/hobby thats definately more attractive than something who enjoys vague stuff like you mentioned - films, pubs, hangng out with friends etc. Even better if we have similar interests.
Yeah having interests other than video games and football is an attractive quality in a man, for me.
I'm on a dating site and the amount of guys who have no interests other than the two I've mentioned, is shocking.

But, on the other hand, there are girls out there who find this to be enough for them, and that's fair enough. I however, prefer guys to be into different things, like seeing live music, going to festivals, visiting castles, travelling to different places, trying new and interesting foods, cooking, art, culture etc.. those to me, are interests.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Well apparently according to TSR girls, they don't like guys who spend their lives in the gym, even though it takes about 4 hours in the gym a week to keep a good body.

Nothing wrong with being active although for a lot of women it makes a boring talking point. Also I think men have a somewhat warped idea of what sort of body generally us women are into (i.e most of us arent into crazy low fat % and massive hulking muscles. Some are but most just like slim athletic types or even stocky softer men)

Anyway....on topic again, sorry about that.

Most women are probably more interested in men who have some sort of overlap in interests. This suggests that there are hints at connecting thoughts and you do realise we rate the emotional connectivity biz, yeah?

However being interested in a man doesn't always equate to being attracted to a man. Attraction is less logical and more about chemical spark. You really can't quantify that or 'make it happen'. A spark can make the difference between overlooking the less attractive things about a man (with spark) and not really feeling a man despite him ticking all the boxes on paper (without spark)

To be honest, all that lad type stuff doesnt really interest me. I kind of expect it to some level but it's not 'attractive' per se. If a girl really doesnt like football, she might find it a bit irritating if you are a major, committed, football fan. I know personally it would bore me to tears to hear about it, but then guys probably don't want to hear about my shopping expeditions do they.

If it's something a bit out of the ordinary then yes, it makes a man more interesting.

Just common sense really.
I think there's a difference between interests and hobbies.

Interests - literature, politics, astronomy, stuff like that

Hobbies - snowboarding, skiing, salsa dancing, stuff like that

Some people are more 'hobbies' people and they want to see others who have 'hobbies' as in do stuff. This is good because it shows the other person gets out and off their backsides. However unless the hobbies are shared, it doesn't make for much of a talking point.

Interests, when they are shared, make for much more of having things in common. Even when they aren't shared, you can pick things up off the other person. I find in general more people have hobbies than interests, but in girls I prefer girls who are interested in certain things and know a lot about them, I find that easier to latch on to than if a girl just has hobbies that I'm not interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest