Turn on thread page Beta

How to improve myself physically and mentally watch

Announcements

Ok guys right now I'm feeling utter balls.
    I'm practically the last of my friends to not have a boyfriend and patronising comments made by my friend earlier like 'Now we just have to find you a boyfriend!' and 'Don't worry you'll get one someday!' have just annoyed me to hell.

I consider myself to be quite a pretty girl. I've had dates and kisses and guys trying to get with me in the past but nothings ever clicked. I messed up my chances with an absolutely gorgeous guy who I really like by not acting interested and now hes got another girl. I think this is all down to my confidence issues.

As I said, I think I have a pretty face but its my body that i despise. I'm 5'7" and around 14.5 stone so quite a bit overweight. I dont really look my weight as i know how to dress for my shape but I want to lose about 3-4 stone but I'm so unmotivated.

The reason I cant seem to get a longterm boyfriend i think is my fear of coming on too strong. Whenever things are going well i get scared that if i pay too much attention to them that they'll go off me and think im weird. And i will absolutely never ask a guy out first. I just want to be a confident girl who can respond well to flirting and not be afraid to show someone that im interested. It all comes back to the looks. I talk myself into believing that (using the recent guy example) someone so gorgeous could never want me even though he called me beautiful and treated me like i was god's gift...

TL;DR
    Overweight, cant see why anyone would want me, dont want to seem too keen so i keep my distance.
    What can i do to improve myself?
    Im sorry for the life story.

ReputationRep:
    Y' wanna hook up? I'm only a train or plane away.

ReputationRep:
    lose weight?
    not trying to sound harsh at all but you are overweight and if it's that that's getting in the way of your confidence then go for it
    your motivation should be to feel better about yourself.
    plus you've no reason not to be confident - you said you've got a pretty face which is obviously an excellent start. so be happy youre one of lifes beautiful people.
    and in future don't hold back so much,nothing wrong with showing you're keen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok guys right now I'm feeling utter balls.
    Maybe the problem is that you associate "balls" with "pants", "arse", "crap", i.e. MEN.

(Original post by Bazlehman)
    Y' wanna hook up? I'm only a train or plane away.
    However, if this **** does go down, be sure to avoid the crafty "fat tax" - airlines love it!

Any more advice?

ReputationRep:
    Excersize; go to the gym, go for runs/cycles, join a sports club.

Not only will this improve your physical image, it will also improve the way you see yourself, which I can assure you is more important than how others see you.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, don't set your sights on 'getting a boyfriend' set your sights on being happy. Thus confidence will soon start to grow and things that you want in your life will soon start to fall into place as a result

Don't diet! Just replace crap with good i.e. drink water and eat fruit. You'll soon start to see a difference if you did want to be healthier.

Just never compare your situation to another person's to prove how happy or indeed how unhappy you are. It just makes you feel worse.

Even if you get a boyfriend now, if you don't love yourself you'll never be able to love anyone - I was the same.

Just be pro active! Life's too short to be looking at what you don't have, look at what you do have!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.