Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It is commonly accepted that competition encourages faster technological growth, a great example of this is the booming smartphone market.
    The last huge leap in space travel technology happened in The Cold War, competition between these two nations propelled increases in this technology faster then ever before, more money and time was spent on helping these technologies grow than in modern times (proportionately).
    Now with the beginnings of the first commercial space travel companies, it wont be long before they are vying for potential customers and increased efficiency in space travel. Is this the beginnings of a new commerical space race, one that could be show even faster growth than before? Now the competition isn't just between two superpowers but between potentially hundreds of companies.

Me thinking this may be down to my last thread and having watched three Star Wars movies in two days

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if these private companies will have the resources to fund such a space-race though.

Take the cold-war space race, as you mentioned. In a way that had required a war-effort-like commitment from the respective nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    I'm not sure if these private companies will have the resources to fund such a space-race though.

Take the cold-war space race, as you mentioned. In a way that had required a war-effort-like commitment from the respective nations.
    Look at the car industry, even the modern weapons industry, times have changed and the power has moved from large government to the large corporation.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe space race in commercial satellites, but not really in manned space flight. It still seems a more government funded industry.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget also that the cold war was arms proliferation as well...much of the rocket technology for spacecraft is applicable to ICBMs to fire at countries across the world...

I really want big develoipments in space travel, just cos im a geek !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.galloway)
    Maybe space race in commercial satellites, but not really in manned space flight. It still seems a more government funded industry.
    This is where I got the idea - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12975872

I'm starting to see news about commercial space flights and new technology more and more often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ----------)
    This is where I got the idea - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12975872

I'm starting to see news about commercial space flights and new technology more and more often.
    yeah i saw that earlier, but it still is prohibitively expensive " spent less than a billion dollars so far on its development programme" - and they are they first private company to return a spacecraft from orbit. That would make it a very risky venture financially for any company.

It could happen that private companies start to compete to take the place of national space programs (i only hope it doesn't turnout to be an orbiting Network rail).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.