36.94%
    He's wrong
    31.85%
    He's right, but shouldn't shout it out to the world
    26.75%
    He's wrong, but he should say what the locals want to hear anyway
    4.46%

ReputationRep:
    It's shameful treachery - from the very man who is supposed to represent the Queen..

We did more to help the world progress than any other nation in this world.. Pakistan's problems come from islam and its social structure, not her colonial past.

If these colonies want our help (not specifically Pakistan, but Rhodesia, say), they should be prepared to suffer some loss of sovereignty. It is a documented fact that many in Africa would actually support the return of the colonial powers.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by HistoryRepeating)
    He is right, and facing up to it in the countries we have helped to screw up is the only responsible action.

There is nothing hypocritical in being proud of some of our past achievements, even colonial ones (Indian railways and parliamentary democracy in Australia, Canada etc), and apologising for others (the mess we made of the middle east, the subcontinent and some of africa).

All you nationalist idiots need to get some perspective.
    I don't see the point in running around shouting about how WE are responsible. My great great great great great grandfather may have gone round stealing African babies and stealing Indian diamonds but I did't not did anyone alive today. We are not the same people as those that committed those crimes.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people criticizing him for admitting past evils we HAVE committed?
    Shows we're not stuck up our own arse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunkd)
    It's shameful treachery - from the very man who is supposed to represent the Queen..

We did more to help the world progress than any other nation in this world.. Pakistan's problems come from islam and its social structure, not her colonial past.
    PLEASE tell me you are joking? You obviously have NO idea, please go study some post-colonialism. We didn't exactly leave a nice colonial legacy, many countries are still suffering the negative affects from our greed today. We didn't help world progress. We helped our own progress and extracted resources.

(Original post by Bunkd)
    If these colonies want our help (not specifically Pakistan, but Rhodesia, say), they should be prepared to suffer some loss of sovereignty. It is a documented fact that many in Africa would actually support the return of the colonial powers.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Even if it's true, he shouldn't go around saying it.
    We may have caused quite a few problems in the world, but we've a lot to be proud of as well.
    Agree, although I reject this sort of thing from the article: 'Daisy Cooper, the director of the Commonwealth Policy Studies Unit, said: “This is typical of the UK’s schizophrenic relationship with former colonies where it is both proud and embarrassed about its past."'

It's not remotely schizophrenic to be proud of certain things in one's past and embarrassed in others. Indeed, I'd say any assessment of the performance of a government during a certain period of time will find both good and bad.

ReputationRep:
    He's right and has actually gone up in my books for saying it.

ReputationRep:
    He's totally right, and him admitting it has almost made me develop a newfound respect for him. Good on you Dave

ReputationRep:
    Eugh. Noone ever blames the Roman Empire for anything, nor the French or Spanish. Because we were the most successful and influential, suddenly everything bad that happens in those countries is our fault. Well don't kick up holy hell if you can't bloody well govern yourselves after you kick us out. The likes of Jersey, the Falklands, Bermuda and Gibraltar all seem ok despite the fact we conquered them.

Yes, the British Empire did thnigs that by todays standards are not really acceptable. But lets not pretend those countries weren't a mess before we ruled them, they were before, during and after. To blame us is short sighted, and frankly an abdication of responsibility by all the governments of that country sinced it gained sovreignty.

ReputationRep:
    He's wrong to have said it, and he's wrong to say it in such a blaise fashion.
    If you are going to comment on your countries history and what negative effect it may have had on the world it's probably best to comment specifically rather than just saying "many of the world's problems."

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand all the people who are saying yes. Are you suggesting that only white westerners are responsible for their own actions? That citizens of former colonies are not responsible for their actions because hundreds of years ago we invaded their countries? That in fact white westerners are responsible for everything?

Don't you think that's a bit racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    In a way Britain did cause a fair few problems but he should not be blurting it out to the world!
    The world already knows lol even if he didn't blurt it out.

ReputationRep:
    He's def right but I still hate him.

Student fees, job cuts... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    PLEASE tell me you are joking? You obviously have NO idea, please go study some post-colonialism. We didn't exactly leave a nice colonial legacy, many countries are still suffering the negative affects from our greed today. We didn't help world progress. We helped our own progress and extracted resources.

:facepalm:
    You're a complete moron.

Consider how our colonies were before we were there.
    Consider how they have progressed since we left.

Consider in particular how they would be today if we had not incorporated these peoples into the Empire.. They would probably have been under the control of the French (and would have suffered largely the same fate, only smaller markets today and be lumbered with a dying language; rest assured India's recent growth would be non-existant if its population weren't to speak English!). If not the French, then the Germans or the Belgians; if you know, as you seem to claim to, anything about colonial history, you will know that these colonies would have suffered considerably more had they been under the control of the Germans or King Leopold..

I suggest you take the time to learn a little bit of pre-colonial history..

A truer depiction of British colonialism is what Steevee has written below.

In particular, these people's problems come from the same reason they were so conquerable in the first place!! The inherent cultural inferiority of the islamic and negro peoples has held back their development, and continues to hold back their development. This is particularly evidenced by the sustained growth of the pure colonies which were started largely afresh with a Christian Anglo-Saxon culture, namely - Canada, New Zealand, USA and Australia.

If you find this hard to stomach, or otherwise, I suggest you take the time to watch the series 'Civilisation: Is the West history?', presented by Niall Ferguson.
    I also leave for your attention:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ed...ritish-enough/

If there is one thing I do know about (apart from Physics), it is history.

ReputationRep:
    Pakistan's problems are the result of the country being stuck in the faith obsessed dark ages.

Here's a more eloquent explanation;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-wuQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1od2E...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    Islam is the number on reason that Pakistan is the way it is, that and overcrowding. Britain only gives millions in aid every year to Pakistan. Not to Mention Britain introduced technology and science, engineering and medicine etc.

ReputationRep:
    He is right the UK wrote the anti-sodomy laws in all of its former colonies, criminalising homosexuality in places it was acceptable before (Uganda, India, the Caribbean) and then left, leaving the population to internalise and now use these laws to kill, jail and abuse its citizens, whilst the UK sits on its arse.

This is just one example. there are many more from education systems, to racial divisions.

He is damn well right, time for the UK to man up and undo the horrors it created.

ReputationRep:
    Why shouldn't he be telling the whole world?

He is telling the truth, facing up to it and only saying what people think anyway. This doesn't harm Britain. Well done Prime Minister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vozhak)
    He is right the UK wrote the anti-sodomy laws in all of its former colonies, criminalising homosexuality in places it was acceptable before (Uganda, India, the Caribbean) and then left, leaving the population to internalise and now use these laws to kill, jail and abuse its citizens, whilst the UK sits on its arse. This is just one example. there are many more from education systems, to racial divisions.

He is damn well right, time for the UK to man up and undo the horrors it created.
    Yah because its Britains fault isnt it. Ugandans, Indians and Caribbeans are far to primitive and backwards to modernize with the rest of the world. Its all Britains fault isnt it :rolleyes:
    Ugandans and Caribbeans must really be infant like, whilst us British must appear GODLIKE. Ancient British rules must be obeyed and are set in stone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sea of Turquoise)
    Yah because its Britains fault isnt it. Ugandans, Indians and Caribbeans are far to primitive and backwards to modernize with the rest of the world. Its all Britains fault isnt it :rolleyes:
    Ugandans and Caribbeans must really be infant like, whilst us British must appear GODLIKE. Ancient British rules must be obeyed and are set in stone.
    you stupidity is showing, the UK wrote the laws and engrained it into people, do you think laws are just unmade over night? those laws were psychologically engrained into the colonies. are you from a colony? were your people slaughtered and oppressed? were your natural resources raped?

modernise you say? when the UK made it their purpose to keep their colonies undeveloped and backward, to play the races against each other

by the way you think it is only colonies have laws? there are laws in some states in the USA that talk about providing drinking water for horses and having pigs roam on the books.

go learn some history, you are a shame to the education system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vozhak)
    you stupidity is showing, the UK wrote the laws and engrained it into people, do you think laws are just unmade over night? those laws were psychologically engrained into the colonies. are you from a colony? were your people slaughtered and oppressed? were your natural resources raped?

modernise you say? when the UK made it their purpose to keep their colonies undeveloped and backward, to play the races against each other

by the way you think it is only colonies have laws? there are laws in some states in the USA that talk about providing drinking water for horses and having pigs roam on the books.

go learn some history, you are a shame to the education system.
    Firstly, No I am not from an ex colony, I have met many people who are from ex British colonies and they bitterly regret the British leaving.

second, Ugandans masacaring homosexuals is their own problem, and their own fault, I find it pathetic, absolutly pathetic that you blame old British laws (that have never advocated the death penalty for homosexuality) for MAKING Ugandans kill gays, You are basically saying the British are rising from the dead through ancient laws and MAKING Ugandans kill, in 2011 no less.

Please **** off. If Ugandans are so infantile and child like that they are influenced in this manner, then the problem is with them psychologically.

p.s. Are you telling me before the British came that ugandans celebrated homosexuality and treated them as equals ?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.