Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFC94)
    Really? So you take the test in November, while you're still studying? So everyone can take it? So strange!
    Anyway, thanks for your answer and sorry again for being OT!
    That's correct! It used to be taken when the interviewees arrived in Oxford, but it is now taken before (in early November) at your school or college, and is used both as a tool for deciding offers as well as for filtering candidates out in terms of inviting them to interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    That's correct! It used to be taken when the interviewees arrived in Oxford, but it is now taken before (in early November) at your school or college, and is used both as a tool for deciding offers as well as for filtering candidates out in terms of inviting them to interview.
    I see, thank you too!! That's more clever actually!

ReputationRep:
    Blahhh, apparently Oxford are more concerned about GCSE's than Cambridge, i dont know if thats a good or bad thing in my situation, but these summer results will determine where and if i apply to oxford/cambrdige

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jampolo)
    apparently Oxford are more concerned about GCSE's than Cambridge
    Where did you hear that?

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge. Cambridge. Cambridge. Cambridge. Cambridge. Cambridge. And so on.

Getting the message?

Yeah, I'm not biased at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    Where did you hear that?
    I went to a conference about the two universities at the emirates stadium, and each university gave a talk about applications, and the oxford rep said they consider GCSE's in an offer more than cambridge, BUT it's in relation to your school, and not in relation to other candidates as such, so i could be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r_u_t_h)
    Cambridge. Cambridge. Cambridge. Cambridge. Cambridge. Cambridge. And so on.

Getting the message?

Yeah, I'm not biased at all...
    step
    ^ 4 words have never scared me so much mwhaha.
    Just looking at STEP I makes me feel like a noob. Then again im only half way through the course but STEP I is meant to be the easiest one!
    how do your fair on step II/III?

ReputationRep:
    step
    ^ 4 words have never scared me so much mwhaha.
    Just looking at STEP I makes me feel like a noob. Then again im only half way through the course but STEP I is meant to be the easiest one!
    how do your fair on step II/III?
    Seeing as how I do Scottish qualifications, I just have to do STEP I and II It's still fairly horrendous though... Worried doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about it!

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as how I do Scottish qualifications, I just have to do STEP I and II It's still fairly horrendous though... Worried doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about it!
    ohh ok, how are you coping with them?
    STEP I is hard, having only done half the units required for it doesn't help :P but its the first thing in a long time where i actually have no clue what to do! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ohh ok, how are you coping with them?
    STEP I is hard, having only done half the units required for it doesn't help :P but its the first thing in a long time where i actually have no clue what to do! :confused:
    Yeah, I think that's how it is for a lot of people, it's the first thing which genuinely challenges you. And for that I enjoy it. It's just very very difficult. If I can see how to do a question, then I can usually work through it, but more often than not, I've just no idea how to even start, and so for that reason I doubt whether I'll manage the '4 good answers' which you apparently need for a 1.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think that's how it is for a lot of people, it's the first thing which genuinely challenges you. And for that I enjoy it. It's just very very difficult. If I can see how to do a question, then I can usually work through it, but more often than not, I've just no idea how to even start, and so for that reason I doubt whether I'll manage the '4 good answers' which you apparently need for a 1.
    I try to think i enjoy it, but the fact im rubbish usually puts me off it,
    Yeah i downloaded this guide called Advanced problems in core mathematics, by stephen siklos, a great guide , and assuming you've read it (i hope ) , he talks about the '4 good answers' thing you point. but 4 good answers in 3 hours, thats a longggg time.
    Mwhaha i met stephen siklos a few weeks ago at a conference, he completely mugged me off infront of my friends a wise wise man though.

ReputationRep:
    I try to think i enjoy it, but the fact im rubbish usually puts me off it,
    Yeah i downloaded this guide called Advanced problems in core mathematics, by stephen siklos, a great guide , and assuming you've read it (i hope ) , he talks about the '4 good answers' thing you point. but 4 good answers in 3 hours, thats a longggg time.
    Mwhaha i met stephen siklos a few weeks ago at a conference, he completely mugged me off infront of my friends a wise wise man though.
    Yeah, I've read it 3 hours doesn't seem that long to me though, all my maths exams this year are 3 hours long, and my chemistry and physics exams are 2 and a half so long exams don't really bother me, just the sheer difficulty of STEP does!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've read it 3 hours doesn't seem that long to me though, all my maths exams this year are 3 hours long, and my chemistry and physics exams are 2 and a half so long exams don't really bother me, just the sheer difficulty of STEP does!
    How's the train? :p:

ReputationRep:
    My whole a levels don't have any exams longer than 90 minutes! Is it true in scotland that you can go to university aftern just yearnof studying highers or advanced highers? Plus, No tuition fees! i don't like England..

ReputationRep:
    Without wanting to depress you further, it should be pointed out that 4 perfect answers would not have got a 1 in STEP I last year. To be safe, you need to answer 5 questions, particularly in STEP I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Without wanting to depress you further, it should be pointed out that 4 perfect answers would not have got a 1 in STEP I last year. To be safe, you need to answer 5 questions, particularly in STEP I.
    Thanks, but yeah, I've noticed looking through the grade boudnaries that they seem to have been going up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    How's the train? :p:
    Train down was fine but the train back, not so much... Worst journey of my life!

ReputationRep:
    Train down was fine but the train back, not so much... Worst journey of my life!
    ...Why? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Maths is my favorite subject every time i am solve every sum in maths book so there are the good subject.
    Every work are depend on maths.

ReputationRep:
    Blahhh, apparently Oxford are more concerned about GCSE's than Cambridge
    That's definitely not true. I don't know how much Cambridge care about GCSEs, but Oxford really don't care.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.