Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Where to Go? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    I know there are tons of threads like this, but i need some advice and opinions.

Basically i have a budget of £1500- £2000 (inculding flights) and i want to do some more travelling.
    I don't want it to be anywhere in Europe as ive already planned to spend a month there later this year, and i want to do some volunteering but not with an official volunteering abroad company due to the cost. I would like to volunteer either in a animal reserve or in an orphanage

Where would you say to go that would allow me to spend at least 2 weeks there with my budget?

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    You can get to pretty much anywhere in the world with that budget - though I don't know if you can just 'walk' into a place and volunteer. Perhaps chose where you would like to volunteer - email them and see if they are receptive to the idea then work on things from there.

ReputationRep:
    Really? i'd really love to spend time in Asia or South America, but im guessing at least £600/£700 of that would be spent on the flight, with another £200 odd on vaccinations?
    How long do you think i'd survive off £500 for food and accomodation in them places?

And yes, of course i would arange the voluntry exeperience before i left lol
    Thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    My first thought was North America after you said not in Europe, as I thought you were looking for a holiday, however after seeing your willingness to volunteer, I then thought perhaps volunteering for WWF or similar in places like China? Not sure. If I were you I'd email some charities and suggest some ideas to them, they will be very forthcoming I would think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheeese589)
    Really? i'd really love to spend time in Asia or South America, but im guessing at least £600/£700 of that would be spent on the flight, with another £200 odd on vaccinations?
    How long do you think i'd survive off £500 for food and accomodation in them places?

And yes, of course i would arange the voluntry exeperience before i left lol
    Thanks for your reply
    Flights to Thailand are about £500 at the moment (for travel in July and August). I'm waiting a few more weeks expecting them to come down a bit. Last year my flights to Thailand were £385 rtn. They won't be that cheap this year because of tax rises but they should be coming down.

Say you maxed out your budget with £2000. You'd spend let's say, £500 on flights to somewhere in Asia. This leaves you £1500. When I travelled last year I spent £150 per week (total of 4 weeks) and lived comfortably, staying in hostels, seeing all the sights, and generally drinking far too much Thai beer and whiskey. I could have spent less, but in retrospect I'm happy with how my budget went. I did everything that needed doing, saw everything to see and had some great evenings with fellow backpackers. Theoretically you could stay in Asia, on your budget for anything between 6 and 10 weeks I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    As for volunteering, some places you can just "walk in". Kind of.

I spent about 2 weeks travelling with a a Yank and a Mancunian I met out there, we headed to Luang Prabang, Laos. While having a drink in a local bar we met a local teacher who asked if we'd like to come and teach English in the local school. I didn't have the time (had to be back for my flights) but the Manchester guy stayed and taught English for a few weeks.

In essence, head for the "less touristy" countries where volunteer programmes are less official/developed. Hang around in a small town for a few days and ask around.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1547683 should give you some ideas.

Oliberts suggest in his last post is a good idea too although if you don't have long you're better off organising in advance.

But yea, with that kind of budget you could go pretty much anywhere. You could spend a few months in China/India/SEA - there are many volunteer programs where they will provide accommodation/food for no fee.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the feedback guys, helps a lot !

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.