Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moon landing WAS a hoax Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilberforce)
    I can't believe ANYONE believes this tripe. It was a hoax, it is blindingly obvious and there is so much evidence to back it up.
    So blindingly obvious that nobody has ever produced this evidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilberforce)
    I can't believe ANYONE believes this tripe. It was a hoax, it is blindingly obvious and there is so much evidence to back it up.
    Many conspiracy theories have been forwarded. They either claim that the landings did not happen and that NASA employees (and sometimes others) have lied; or that landings did happen but not in the way that has been told. Conspiracists have focused on perceived gaps or inconsistencies in the historical record of the missions. The foremost idea is that the whole manned landing program was a hoax from start to end. Some claim that the technology to send men to the Moon was lacking or that the Van Allen radiation belts, solar flares, solar wind, coronal mass ejections and cosmic rays made such a trip impossible.

Vince Calder and Andrew Johnson gave detailed answers to the conspiracists' claims on the Argonne National Laboratory website.[48] They show that NASA's portrayal of the Moon landing is fundamentally accurate, allowing for such common mistakes as mislabeled photos and imperfect personal recollections. Using the scientific process, any hypothesis that is contradicted by the observable facts may be rejected. The 'real landing' hypothesis is a single story since it comes from a single source, but there is no unity in the hoax hypothesis because hoax accounts vary between conspiracists.[49]
    [edit] Number of people involved

According to James Longuski (Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics Engineering at Purdue University), the trueness of the conspiracy theories is impossible because of their size and complexity. More than 400,000 people worked on the Apollo project for nearly ten years, and a dozen men who walked on the Moon returned to Earth to recount their experiences. Hundreds of thousands of people—including astronauts, scientists, engineers, technicians, and skilled laborers—would have had to keep the secret. Longuski argues that it would have been much easier to really land on the Moon than to generate such a huge conspiracy to fake the landings.[50][51] To date, nobody from the US government or NASA who would have had a link to the Apollo program has said the Moon landings were hoaxes. Penn Jillette made note of this in the "Conspiracy Theories" episode of his contrarian television show Penn & Teller: Bull****! in 2005. He said that, with the number of people that would have had to be involved, someone would have outed the hoax by now. With the government's track record of keeping secrets (noting Watergate), Jillette said the government could not have silenced everyone if the landings were faked.
    [edit] Photograph and film oddities
    Main article: Examination of Apollo Moon photographs

Conspiracists devote much of their efforts to examining NASA photos. They point to oddities in photographs and films purportedly taken on the Moon. Photography experts (even those unrelated to NASA) answer that the oddities are what one would expect from a real Moon landing, and not what would happen with tweaked or studio imagery. Conspiracists also argue that whistleblowers may have knowingly tweaked photos in hope of uncovering NASA. Some of the main arguments and counter-arguments are listed below.

1. In some photos, crosshairs appear to be behind objects. The cameras were fitted with a reseau plate (a clear glass plate with crosshairs etched on), making it impossible for any photographed object to appear "in front" of the grid. This suggests that objects have been "pasted" over them.

This only appears in copied and scanned photos, not the originals. It is caused by overexposure: the bright white areas of the emulsion "bleed" over the thin black crosshairs. The crosshairs are only about 0.004 inch thick (0.1 mm) and emulsion would only have to bleed about half that much to fully obscure it. Furthermore, there are many photos where the middle of the crosshair is "washed-out" but the rest is intact. In some photos of the American flag, parts of one crosshair appear on the red stripes, but parts of the same crosshair are faded or invisible on the white stripes. There would have been no reason to "paste" white stripes onto the flag. ect......................
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The conspiracy theorists must be gutted by this photograph from the LRO taken last year.

Here's the Apollo 15 landing site in 3D if you have any red/green glasses knocking around. Either someone took the lunar rover for a spin or aliens are in on the scam too. You choose.

Name:  Apollo 15.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  233.4 KB

Click to enlarge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sswf224)
    Hello everybody - we all know the moon landings were a hoax and a fake.

How could they in the late 60’s with their computer power then and how come it will take years to go back again, and dont get me started on the inconsistencies in the photos.

They never did land on the moon - the only thing they did land on was Hollywood’s back lot.

I suppose you have to give it to the Americans they can put on a show - look at Disneyland and Universal.

Why dont you all come clean now and tell us all it was a show !
    Phoebe?

ReputationRep:
    for all the evidence that backs up the theory the moon landings were faked, there is one solid piece of evidence that proves it did happen, the soviets admitted defeat in the space race and they would not do this unless certain the moon landings were genuine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dring)
    I don't have access to that TV program. Do you have any other source? Perhaps the source used by the program?

If that is the 'documentary' I have heard of before, it is a cesspool of lies designed to get viewers, not an objective look at the facts. But that's an ad hominem, so I'll happily debunk any particular argument raised by the program if you can give me a source I can actually see.
    i saw that documentary on channel 5 years ago, it has been proven false over and over,also they did not show 2 people being killed about speaking of the truth.

What they showed was 1 guy, a safety inspector that was inspecting the craft for one of the first space missions (not to the moon just to orbit the earth) and he seemingly disapproved of the craft, he was known as a hardarse and he mysteriously went missing just before he was due to hand in his report, another inspector was appointed and he approved of the craft.

With the space race going on and all the pressure i think you can all guess why the inspector went missing.

hmm i quoted the wrong person, im editing to write here lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posietoes)
    I've always wondered that, if it was real, why it hasn't been done since?
    The moon landings have happened 6 times.

Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17

And to OP what about Apollo 13? Are you telling me that the Americans also 'hoaxed' failing to get to the moon that time?

ReputationRep:
    It's real. The people of the world saw it live when the Apollo took off.

And please don't tell me that the HOLOCAUST was a hoax too.

ReputationRep:
    They were real. They did happen. End of.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.