Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I just got an e-mail saying ive had an offer on my student finance

i went on there and there was my maintenance loan and the loan to cover my course fees but no sign of a maintenance grant???

im 21 and stated i had been working part time for the past 3 years whilst going to college (also living with parents), i sent it all my p60's and it stated i would be entitled to the full amount.

Does the grant application come later or should i ring them??

thanks

ReputationRep:
    This happens

ReputationRep:
    What is the status of your application according to the website?

ReputationRep:
    it said they have sent me a letter that i will receive in 3-4 days to sign and send back, to accept the offer

ReputationRep:
    This happened to my boyfriend. Exactly the same situation. Did you say to them that you are financially supporting yourself despite the fact you are living with your parents?

They said to my boyfriend that because he was living with his parents they automatically assumed he wasn't supporting himself. Because he didn't give his parents income details they only gave him the loan first of all.

Phone them up and explain whats happened. Btw, I think to be considered financially independent you have to have earnt over £30,000 in the last three years.

My boyfriend phoned up HMRC and asked them for a headed letter stating how much he had earnt in the last three years and then forwarded it to Student finance. It all got sorted eventually. Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i did

ahhh ok thanks, i definitely didnt earn anywhere near 30k lol

so is there a form i have to get for my parents income, ive seen something about a PPF1 form??

ReputationRep:
    you need to phone them and explain, they can be pretty useless to be honest. something similar happened to me in my first year, i clicked that yes, i wanted to full tuition fee loans, and the full maintenance loans, but they sent me the letter and email saying i'd chosen not to have any maintenance loan. stupid.

and now they have decided that despite part of my course is to go to oklahoma, which the uni confirmed in my first year when i applied, they now need written and signed proof from the university before they give me any loan, or give me the loan in august, when my term starts. bit useless not being able to pay rent until october when i start in august! sorry, rant. i must stop doing that.

but yeah, ring them and they usually manage to sort themselves out, they have a reputation for being useless but everything always gets sorted in the end!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Budweiser_072000)
    Yes i did

ahhh ok thanks, i definitely didnt earn anywhere near 30k lol

so is there a form i have to get for my parents income, ive seen something about a PPF1 form??
    It doesn't have to be £30000 a year. It can be a total of £30,000 over the three years, so an average of £10,000 a year. It can even be £20,000 one year, and £5000 for the other two years if that makes sense.

If you parents support your application, I think theres a link online which says 'to support a students application.' Get them to fill that out. It will probs take student finance another couple of months to process it though lol.

Definitely don't fill in the acceptance form they sent you until you get your grant sorted. x

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the help guys.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I got an email saying they had made an online offer but I can't find it anywhere!? I've looked on my account and all I see is the breakdown that was there before. Where is the offer stated?

ReputationRep:
    How long does it take for them to review your evidence? I completed my form like 3 weeks ago, sent evidence off (sent the P60 off separately, can you do that?) and now my screen is saying:

"Your application is being processed"
    "Currently waiting for evidence"

How long does it take. I rang them up and asked also if it was ok that i sent my evidence off in 2 parts by accident and the Franky Boyle impersonator said it was but i don't trust him.

This is so nerve racking. I dont know if my student finance is gona be completely ballzed up and pompey uni haven't sent me my accommodation package so i may get stuck in the crap halls.

ReputationRep:
    When i got my p60's back it was about 3-4 weeks later i finally got the e-mail stating i had been accepted. dont worry mine also said still reviewing and awaiting evidence even when i had my p60s back

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.