Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm preparing for my exams and i'm writing a practice question titled:

'How effective is the ECHR/HR Act in protecting the rights of the citizen?'

I know the stuff...and I'm just rubbish at 'answering the question'...

Am I correct in referring to Acts like RIPA, the Terrorism Acts and PACE? Is that answering the effectiveness part or not?

Gah...ANY help would be appreciated...

Sami2412

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami2412)
    Basically I'm preparing for my exams and i'm writing a practice question titled:

Am I correct in referring to Acts like RIPA, the Terrorism Acts and PACE? Is that answering the effectiveness part or not?

Sami2412
    The Terrorism Act is probably more relevant than the other two, because of its role in R v A. That said, I'd be inclined to focus on the cases where the HRA has come up. Where does the HRA provide effective protection? Where has it failed to do so? Consider in particular the interaction b/w ss 3 and 4, s 6 on public bodies, and the remedies available. I'd structure your essay around the act, the convention rights scheduled to it, and how the court has handled cases involving convention rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    The Terrorism Act is probably more relevant than the other two, because of its role in R v A. That said, I'd be inclined to focus on the cases where the HRA has come up. Where does the HRA provide effective protection? Where has it failed to do so? Consider in particular the interaction b/w ss 3 and 4, s 6 on public bodies, and the remedies available. I'd structure your essay around the act, the convention rights scheduled to it, and how the court has handled cases involving convention rights.
    REP+ for you my friend, that's brilliant advice, thankyou so much

ReputationRep:
    REP+ for you my friend, that's brilliant advice, thankyou so much
    You're welcome.

ReputationRep:

Sami2412
    -Compare previous situation: Precarious state of civil liberties: Citizens enjoyed freedom, however nothing prevented Parliament from disregarding them (example Public Order Act)

-s.3: Previous situtation: No choice for courts then applying provisions of Act of Parliament. Now possibility even to read in words (Ghaidan) A: Case about evidence in rape trials. Words were read into statute to alter radically its meaning. Lord Hope (minority) emphasized that it went to far, crossing the line from interpreting to legislating
    -> RE W and B: More cautious approach, thus scope of s. 3 (1) is still rather unclear

-s.4 Declaration of Incompatbility: Does not affect validity. Government relied after A still for some time under incompatible legislation However political pressure and possibility to claimant to go to Strasbourg

s. 6 Problematic: Outsourcing of public functions (Leonard Cheshire Foundation, Yl v Birmingham)

ECHR: No US Bill of rights -> Qualified. In some cases (Gillan) Convention Rights were watered down in order to avoid conflict with government. Moreover the domestic courts have even succeed in finding exceptions to unqualified rights (Article 6, Austin)

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.