Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadCatChiken)
    That sucks, a guy in my class got 68/70 in the coursework!! I need to get a high B in this paper to get a B overall.
    how :O wow im impressed

im so nervous for tomorrow!!! i mean im actually shaking havent been able to sleep for days!!! twos exams in five hours relly not looking forward to it x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ,,,,)
    Jan 10 - 70/120 was 51 raw marks
    June 10- 70/120 was 52 raw marks
    Jan 11- 70/120 was 59 raw marks

I guess to be safe aim for 51 - 62/63 raw marks out of 100

where did you find these i wanna inspect the grade boundaries closely x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicola.Garner)
    youve got a well descent essay for the 8 marks, just expand on a couple of the points i.e. the first one you could mention just waste as email reduce paper waste. and by refilling ink cartirgides there is no need to replace them therefore there will be less waste that way x
    Thanks And that's a good point, I've got to remember to put examples! x

ReputationRep:
    where did you find these i wanna inspect the grade boundaries closely x
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/ums_converter_a2.php?id=04 - after you select the year and subject, just type in a random raw mark and a list appears..

ReputationRep:
    has any1 got any idea what might come up tomorrow because i need help as i literally know anything atm apart from conversion methods and alpha and beta testing help please x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ,,,,)
    Jan 10 - 70/120 was 51 raw marks
    June 10- 70/120 was 52 raw marks
    Jan 11- 70/120 was 59 raw marks

I guess to be safe aim for 51 - 62/63 raw marks out of 100
    thanks, i could see why jan 11 was high compared to others, was generally straight forward except for the last question which was just ****e

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got a likely bunch of questions that could arise from the case study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-ami-x)
    Thanks And that's a good point, I've got to remember to put examples! x
    yeah always example and evaluate

anyone know how many this paper is out of?? is it 100??x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athers16)
    has any1 got any idea what might come up tomorrow because i need help as i literally know anything atm apart from conversion methods and alpha and beta testing help please x
    Section B anything could come up tbh...Section A whatever has been covered in the previous posts will be sufficient enough, have a look at jan 11 section b, i doubt (i could be wrong) they will repeat or rephrase the questions they might bring in new topics as a whole, surely you've done more than that?

ReputationRep:
    thanks well i have notes on the whole course but none of its really going in atm and im wokring all night so quite worried now so annoying that ive had exams all week or i might have been ok x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-ami-x)
    6. “With ICT accounting for 15% of the UK’s office energy consumption”
    Is ICT part of the problem, or part of the solution?
    Discuss (8 marks) (use essay format)

Could someone help me out with this question? I didn't really understand how to answer this one :/ So far the notes I've got are;

+ ICT means there is significantly less paper use (letters, forms, storage)
    + ICT can be developed to be more energy efficient
    + Many organisations can benefit financially and gain a better reputation by reducing their carbon footprint
    + ICT can decrease the amount of CO2 emissions, less car journeys due to teleworking
    + & - Just-in-time manufacturing? Use of ICT, no need to store as much but requires more journeys therefore more CO2 and more use of ICT
    + & - E-commerce, may require a bigger server to store and process customer details and orders (more processing = more energy consumption) However, means customers will make less journeys (fewer delivery vehicles to all customer journeys)
    - ICT requires alot of electricity, many leave laptops on hibernate or put screen-savers
    - ICT disposal may not be done correctly and produce 50m tons of e-waste
    I've found some more on ICT being the solution from the green ICT handbook, heres the link: http://greenict.org.uk/sites/default...20Handbook.pdf

ICT is part of the Solution

+ICT could deliver a 15% reduction in global CO2 by 2020, delivering a cost saving in fuel, energy and the cost of carbon of over a trillion dollars.
    According to the Climate Group, the carbon footprint of the ICT
    sector is predicted to increase by 75% by 2020.
    However, smart use of ICT could contribute a reduction in carbon emissions in other sectors that is five times greater than the carbon emitted by the ICT sector.

What constitutes this ICT enabled reduction in CO2 emissions? The Climate Group has identified opportunities it categorises as:

“Dematerialisation” – swapping high carbon activities with low carbon alternatives such as e-billing instead of paper billing, teleconferencing instead of travelling to meetings and e-media instead of producing CDs or newspapers.
    “Smart motors” – introducing ICT to the manufacturing sector to vary the amount of energy used by production lines, rather than motors either being on or off.
    “Smart logistics” – ICT can facilitate better communication and planning, whether this is for haulage networks or customer delivery rounds. Many return journeys of vehicles carry no product and with 80% of fleets having less than 5 vehicles, better coordination, communication and cooperation is crucial to cutting carbon.
    “Smart buildings” – our buildings and how we use them could be far more efficient. From occupancy based lighting and heating solutions to automatic systems to capture sunlight or provide shade from unwanted warmth, ICT has a role to play.
    “Smart grids” – India’s power generation accounted for over half the country’s carbon footprint in 2007, but a third of this was lost in transmission making it a complete waste. Demand management and smart meters will help those supplying energy run a more effi cient systems, whilst interactive real-time energy displays prompt users to consider their energy consumption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athers16)
    thanks well i have notes on the whole course but none of its really going in atm and im wokring all night so quite worried now so annoying that ive had exams all week or i might have been ok x
    im the same, had exam monday wednesday got two tomorrow :/ its no good neews x

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, jan 11, am i right in saying that more or less quite a lot of section B was on managing systems (strategy/legislation/policies) so chances are they will not ask this ? I actually think, large scale organisation will come up..

ReputationRep:
    yeah always example and evaluate

anyone know how many this paper is out of?? is it 100??x x
    yeh it's 100

ReputationRep:
    youve got a well descent essay for the 8 marks, just expand on a couple of the points i.e. the first one you could mention just waste as email reduce paper waste. and by refilling ink cartirgides there is no need to replace them therefore there will be less waste that way x
    that is a rubbish question, and unhypothetical, the question cant be answered successfully by anyone.

ReputationRep:
    What are people revising for chapter 1 future developments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l0livia)
    I've found some more on ICT being the solution from the green ICT handbook, heres the link: http://greenict.org.uk/sites/default...20Handbook.pdf

ICT is part of the Solution

+ICT could deliver a 15% reduction in global CO2 by 2020, delivering a cost saving in fuel, energy and the cost of carbon of over a trillion dollars.
    According to the Climate Group, the carbon footprint of the ICT
    sector is predicted to increase by 75% by 2020.
    However, smart use of ICT could contribute a reduction in carbon emissions in other sectors that is five times greater than the carbon emitted by the ICT sector.

What constitutes this ICT enabled reduction in CO2 emissions? The Climate Group has identified opportunities it categorises as:

“Dematerialisation” – swapping high carbon activities with low carbon alternatives such as e-billing instead of paper billing, teleconferencing instead of travelling to meetings and e-media instead of producing CDs or newspapers.
    “Smart motors” – introducing ICT to the manufacturing sector to vary the amount of energy used by production lines, rather than motors either being on or off.
    “Smart logistics” – ICT can facilitate better communication and planning, whether this is for haulage networks or customer delivery rounds. Many return journeys of vehicles carry no product and with 80% of fleets having less than 5 vehicles, better coordination, communication and cooperation is crucial to cutting carbon.
    “Smart buildings” – our buildings and how we use them could be far more efficient. From occupancy based lighting and heating solutions to automatic systems to capture sunlight or provide shade from unwanted warmth, ICT has a role to play.
    “Smart grids” – India’s power generation accounted for over half the country’s carbon footprint in 2007, but a third of this was lost in transmission making it a complete waste. Demand management and smart meters will help those supplying energy run a more effi cient systems, whilst interactive real-time energy displays prompt users to consider their energy consumption.
    Thanks for the link, I'll have a read now And that's good, would you need to know these facts? I know the main ones, and have looked into the ones mentioned in the pre-release material but not into as much detail as what you've written

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gchaggar75)
    that is a rubbish question, and unhypothetical, the question cant be answered successfully by anyone.
    true, i didnt make it though just showing my opinion x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ,,,,)
    yeh it's 100
    cool :P im soo panickig,
    you can get 74/75 marks, and get an a* !?!?
    it sounds wonderful x and full marks with 83 :O x

ReputationRep:
    cool :P im soo panickig,
    you can get 74/75 marks, and get an a* !?!?
    it sounds wonderful x and full marks with 83 :O x
    Yeh, it's great

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.