Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    someoneee Heeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllll llppppppppppppppppppp meee....

I am pretty unsure about the policy for green use of ict in organisations. I dont know when they are asking about policy, i have to explain how procurement and training policy can be used for green use of ict,? Or i have to say that there should be a green policy to ensure that ...... ?

so what type of policy is for computer usage management for energy efficient operation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sasha sh)
    someoneee Heeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllll llppppppppppppppppppp meee....

I am pretty unsure about the policy for green use of ict in organisations. I dont know when they are asking about policy, i have to explain how procurement and training policy can be used for green use of ict,? Or i have to say that there should be a green policy to ensure that ...... ?

so what type of policy is for computer usage management for energy efficient operation?
    Procurement:
    - Buying hardware that is energy efficient.
    - Only buying hardware with the energy star on it which proves it is energy efficient.
    - When buying services, ensure that the organisation has green credentials.
    - Buy bulk of the SAME type of hardware, i.e. printer, so if one breaks down you can cannibalise bits that you need as opposed to just throwing away.
    - Buy application software as opposed to bespoke as these are flexible and hardware is easily upgraded with the software as opposed to bespoke which is designed on specific hardware.

To go along side procurement:
    - Before you buy new peripherals, try and extend their lifecycle as this way you are not wasting used energy by buying a new uneeded product. For example, if the PC is slow, increase the RAM as this usually makes it faster.
    - Also when you are buying new peripherals, think about recycling, other people may have uses for your peripherals.

Training:
    - Make sure the employees understand how to stay green.
    - Send them on "environmental organisation" courses.
    - Buy them guide books on being green which they can learn from.

Anyone got any more ideas?

ReputationRep:
    What are the possible questions they can ask about large ICT systems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasmin11)
    risk and severity and lkiehood etc.
    also what to do in a disater
    traingin on a large scale
    support on a large scale
    maintentance types
    Legislation x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasmin11)
    I think there might be something about backing up...Nothings sticking in my head argh what the f*** am i going to do lool, has anyone actually finished learning from their book/notes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ,,,,)
    I think there might be something about backing up...Nothings sticking in my head argh what the f*** am i going to do lool, has anyone actually finished learning from their book/notes?
    I've got the last section to revise from my notes... then i'm just going to go over bits that i forget then concentrate one more time on section A then give up D:!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ,,,,)
    i have, iv read through notes, then put them to a side and write down what i can remember, repeat the process until i know more or less all of it, haven't bothered with flow charts, dfd's etc. Tall/flat structures has to be the most boring topic i have ever read, almost fell asleep twice trying to revise it, so need to do a bit more on that, gonna check out the green ICT booklet soon.
    Also if they do ask us to draw a DFD they give marks away for fun like one mark for drawing the scope so not something to worry about too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ,,,,)
    Ye i've finished "learning" my notes...LOL JK nothing's ****ing STAYING IN MY HEAD! I HATE ICT

Only thing that is keeping me going is knowing this is my last exam, I can say bye bye to college and go get absolutely wasted after. Yay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l0livia)
    Ye i've finished "learning" my notes...LOL JK nothing's ****ing STAYING IN MY HEAD! I HATE ICT

Only thing that is keeping me going is knowing this is my last exam, I can say bye bye to college and go get absolutely wasted after. Yay.
    my incentives also ^^

ReputationRep:
    What are the technical issues to do with future developments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ,,,,)
    Nope not finished the chapters in my blue and White book yet.
    It's just not staying in. Mainly concentrating on section B stuff so just revising everything. Dreading this exam. But like the others just thinking...it's my last exam is keeping me going.

Dislike this subject after the last few months lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chlojess)
    What are the technical issues to do with future developments
    speed of transfer of data through communication lines
    increase in the amount of storage
    size of computers
    more user friendly interfaces
    battery life of laptops

ReputationRep:
    how the heck does hot-desking help green computing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tt123)
    how the heck does hot-desking help green computing?
    - the heating, lighting, use of machines (shared pc’s, printers, phones, etc), can be reduced
    - The space in the office will be reduced. All of these result in reduced energy usage, costs and carbon footprint

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l0livia)
    - the heating, lighting, use of machines (shared pc’s, printers, phones, etc), can be reduced
    - The space in the office will be reduced. All of these result in reduced energy usage, costs and carbon footprint
    right, correct me if im wrong, all hot-desking is, is people sitting on a different desk each day, how is office space reduced, still the same amount of people, using the same amount of energy they use on any other day just sitting on another desk in the same office

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tt123)
    right, correct me if im wrong, all hot-desking is, is people sitting on a different desk each day, how is office space reduced, still the same amount of people, using the same amount of energy they use on any other day just sitting on another desk in the same office
    Hi,

Could someone please explain to me how using bespoke is green compared to using off-the-shelf, ive googled, youtubed, even asked my parents!

I would appreciate it alot,
    Many thanks,
    James

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tt123)
    I don't know, I found it on a website. This one to be precise: http://triptaprashar.wordpress.com/2...bon-footprint/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tt123)
    I thought Hot-desking was sharing a desk with another employee. So if one works Mon-Wed and the other works Thurs-Sat they'll have the same workspace (share it) and because they work different shifts they won't ever collide. If they both had a desk each it would expand the space needed.

This is what I thought it was And this means less space = less heating/air-con & electricity = less energy consumption

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tt123)
    I guess cos less are left on standby and more and in constant use which means people wont turn their personal one on and then leave it but wud rather go to one booted up? thats just me thinking on the spot tho

Do u know why off-the-shelf is greener than bespoke btw? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-ami-x)
    I thought Hot-desking was sharing a desk with another employee. So if one works Mon-Wed and the other works Thurs-Sat they'll have the same workspace (share it) and because they work different shifts they won't ever collide. If they both had a desk each it would expand the space needed.

This is what I thought it was And this means less space = less heating/air-con & electricity = less energy consumption
    Oh im wrong nvmd.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 26, 2012

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.