Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesshamzi)
    Hi,

Could someone please explain to me how using bespoke is green compared to using off-the-shelf, ive googled, youtubed, even asked my parents!

I would appreciate it alot,
    Many thanks,
    James
    sometimes bespoke systems require less programming code and algorithms therefore less energy used in creating them
    bespoke systems normally bring a change of hardware which new and up-to-date hardware, which is more energy efficient and gives off less or no waste heat
    bespoke systems can incorporate a company's need to become more greener and reduce the amount of paper which is printed for example by considering electronic alternatives, whilst package systems are off the shelf, what you buy is what you get so it may not be able to incorporate a organisations green priorities specifically
    ,hope that helps, i could also argue it the other way around

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Could someone please explain to me how using bespoke is green compared to using off-the-shelf, ive googled, youtubed, even asked my parents!

I would appreciate it alot,
    Many thanks,
    James
    I thought it wasn't! I thought application systems were better for the environment because they are easily updated and require less upkeep. Bespoke are risky as they are made from scratch and are more likely to fail.

Correct me if I'm wrong please! This has gotten me confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-ami-x)
    I thought Hot-desking was sharing a desk with another employee. So if one works Mon-Wed and the other works Thurs-Sat they'll have the same workspace (share it) and because they work different shifts they won't ever collide. If they both had a desk each it would expand the space needed.

This is what I thought it was And this means less space = less heating/air-con & electricity = less energy consumption
    yes, your definition makes more sense, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I thought it wasn't! I thought application systems were better for the environment because they are easily updated and require less upkeep. Bespoke are risky as they are made from scratch and are more likely to fail.

you can argue it both ways, although i would argue it for package systems because you can share peripherals with fellow organisations meaning less hardware, also less compatibility issues therefore no new hardware is needed which means hardware doesnt become absolute after a short period of time, therefore less wastage of equipment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicola.Garner)
    true, i didnt make it though just showing my opinion x
    no prob babe

ReputationRep:
    i really don't like how they word some of the questions in this exam :/ i did this exam in jan and got a D, but i think if some questions were worded nicer i would have got a C :P

ReputationRep:
    This revision is not working, i feel like i dont know anything,
    my exams tomorrow morning got no time!!
    have all of you got it in the morning aswell ? cause on the pre release it says afternoon ? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tt123)
    you can argue it both ways, although i would argue it for package systems because you can share peripherals with fellow organisations meaning less hardware, also less compatibility issues therefore no new hardware is needed which means hardware doesnt become absolute after a short period of time, therefore less wastage of equipment
    Thank you, and thank you to the other fella for clearing this up for you deserve a : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfpqqtIK9NE

So to clarify:

Bespoke
    + Could be greener cos more adapted and efficient = less processing time like trawling through uncessary menus
    - Adds to the amount of testing needed when compared to buying off-the-shelf which is already tested (< green cos testing needs computer usage ...etc etc..)

Off-The-Shelf:
    + Compatible with other peripherals meaning can share hardware --> greener cos less volume of purchases = < electircity and < disposal and material usage to create.
    + Doesnt need the extra testing bespoke does.
    - May not be as efficient as bespoke in the menu way.

Is there more I missed in relation to the green aspect of these two? It seems like a D grade answer atm, the specification focused alot of software types and legacy systems changing i thought

ReputationRep:

I thought because bespoke systems use hardware that is specific to the system... so if it needs to be upgraded, you have to toss the old peripherals and replace with new ones which isn't really environmentally friendly. Packages, however, you can upgrade, replace various peripherals and it will still be fine and so you do not have to buy new peripherals. BARE IN MIND EVERYONE: Creating a printer uses 10X the amount of carbon energy than the printer actually uses in its lifetime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tt123)
    That helps alot, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieestudent)
    i really don't like how they word some of the questions in this exam :/ i did this exam in jan and got a D, but i think if some questions were worded nicer i would have got a C :P
    I agree, i hate the wording! And when you know a word for a specific thing, they'll use another word to describe it which you don't know, and it's stupid.

But i am also thinking there's going to be a question on large systems, such as how will a new system be put in place (direct changeover, phased changeover, parallel running etc). Going to do solid revision on green computing now until midnight i think!

ReputationRep:
    Also can somone give me an evlauation cloud computing and a definition pwwws?

ReputationRep:
    What have people got for teleworking relating to the environment other than:
    - Saves fossil fuels to get into work.
    - Can use video-conferencing instead of going to meetings.
    - Less need for computers as they will be using them at home. Same for other hardware.
    other than that... hm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieestudent)
    LOL, this is true, i just hope we don't get any ambiguous questions or questions that we haven't learnt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ,,,,)
    LOL, this is true, i just hope we don't get any ambiguous questions or questions that we haven't learnt
    yeah i hope not really hope its a nice paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaskade)
    What have people got for teleworking relating to the environment other than:
    - Saves fossil fuels to get into work.
    - Can use video-conferencing instead of going to meetings.
    - Less need for computers as they will be using them at home. Same for other hardware.
    other than that... hm
    less cars on the road therefore less traffic therefore less fuel is used and less emissions
    less people working in the office therefore less computers, less printers/equipment needed
    less storage space required for equipment so fewer sites or buildings are required
    less paper is printed as staff send work using the Internet
    staff are given energy efficient laptops which consume much less energy than computers in the office
    some overlaps with what you have talked about but i would think writing about the above with slightly more detail would be enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahtisham)
    have all of you got it in the morning aswell ? cause on the pre release it says afternoon ? :/
    It's in the morning yeah

ReputationRep:
    hy what do you guys think of my blog do you reckon i should make a website with regestered domain and then upload 2moz exam day after how did you find the blog was it helpful ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahtisham)
    Exactly the same position as you

ReputationRep:
    Also can somone give me an evlauation cloud computing and a definition pwwws?
    cloud computing is a method of storing data whereby data is stored online rather than on physical severs.

a concern with cloud computing is security issues (hacking).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.