Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, Im currently struggling with choosing the vet sch to go. >< I have got the choices of RVC and UoN.

Can anyone give me any suggestion or opinion, please? Any would do!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I adored Notts and would have had a similar choice problem if I had got an offer from them but luckily I didn't!! Have you been to see Notts? The facilities are all brand spanking new and gorgeous, but RVC has more technically advanced stuff than Notts - probably because Notts is new and RVC therefore has more monies.
    RVC is AVMA accredited - so you can practice in America afterwards, but Notts is not.
    Notts you'll be at a uni with people on other courses, at RVC everyone has some kind of veterinary related degree whether that's nursing, biovet etc
    I wouldn't worry about Notts being new and RVC lots of heritage because I'm fairly sure Notts will be just as well known once they've got a few more years graduated.
    Notts make a big deal about their animal handling and practicals from day 1...from what I have noticed they do exaggerate this a little as most vet schools have animal handling from year 1 (RVC included) but they do seem to make the effort to teach the theory in conjunction with the practicals (not surgery obviously!) from the beginning, whereas RVC teach in body systems in years 1-2 (or 3 I can't remember!) and then you learn them again in the context of practicals.

Basically it's a really difficult choice because they're both amazing unis. I am ecstatic that I'm going to RVC but I may have chosen Nottingham if I had the choice, in fact probably would have if my bf had been able to come with me!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Are you a city person or a country person?

The Nottingham course is on the Sutton Bonington campus (as I'm sure you know!) so if you want to be in the middle of a city you'll be in for a shock! I absolutely loved my time at SB (I studied Animal Science there) but there were others who found it too small and claustrophobic (if you get drunk and do something you shouldn't then everybody knows about it straight away!!!). But on the other hand, I graduated 12 years ago and am still in touch with loads of friends from my SB days. The distance from main campus/Notts city is only really a problem if you make it one and the social life at SB was enough partying for me (about 2 big parties a week - every Friday and then usually another one during the week, rugby social or formal "dining in" etc). Quite a lot of people have cars so you can always get a lift to Loughborough/Kegworth to the supermarket and we went to the cinema in Lough/Notts loads of times. I came from a small town (no Mcdonalds, no cinema!!) so I was fine with SB but if you already live in the centre of London/Birmingham etc it will be a culture shock! I can't comment on the vet course as the vet school wasn't even built (or planned ) when I was at SB!

RVC is in London, I couldn't live there although I love visiting for the shopping, museums, musicals etc......I'll let someone with experience comment more though!

ReputationRep:
    RVC!!! But only because I have fallen out with Nottingham

Hard decision!

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you to have the choice! well done and good luck

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT GO TO NOTTINGHAM
    its not an accredited university which means that you can't become a vet
    its on the RVCS website
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by cakesomnom)
    DO NOT GO TO NOTTINGHAM
    its not an accredited university which means that you can't become a vet
    its on the RVCS website
    that's just wrong. nottingham is accredited now - they couldn't be accredited until they had their first graduates i.e. this year.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, If you are still undecided I am for Nottingham, I have just finished my final year here as an animal scientist, If your a city person you may not find it so great! My 3 years here at SB have been the best of my life, campus life is amazing we call it the SB 'bubble' it's like one big family everyone knows everyone and everyone is friendly. I have worked on the student bar here for 2 years and the social life is great. A lot of effort is put into entertainment on campus, and there are very regular free buses from SB to main campus and even directly into town at the weekends. Many of the clubnights have buses organised and only cost £2! I cannot comment on the RVC course but I know the vet course here is very hands on and you learn practical and clinical skills from day one from what I have heard from my friends on the course. As for accreditation, Notts will this year be graduating its first set of vet students, and have been fully accredited and is set to be the best at the moment with great facilities and an awesome campus. Hope this helps if you have any more specific questions I can try to help! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay89)
    Hey, If you are still undecided I am for Nottingham, I have just finished my final year here as an animal scientist, If your a city person you may not find it so great! My 3 years here at SB have been the best of my life, campus life is amazing we call it the SB 'bubble' it's like one big family everyone knows everyone and everyone is friendly. I have worked on the student bar here for 2 years and the social life is great. A lot of effort is put into entertainment on campus, and there are very regular free buses from SB to main campus and even directly into town at the weekends. Many of the clubnights have buses organised and only cost £2! I cannot comment on the RVC course but I know the vet course here is very hands on and you learn practical and clinical skills from day one from what I have heard from my friends on the course. As for accreditation, Notts will this year be graduating its first set of vet students, and have been fully accredited and is set to be the best at the moment with great facilities and an awesome campus. Hope this helps if you have any more specific questions I can try to help! x
    As a fellow SB graduate, I couldn't agree more! I loved it

ReputationRep:
    I recently heard from a UoN student (not studing veterinary) that the course was a bit of a shambles and hasn't produced very good results or reviews. It's just something she mentioned when discussing London vs Notts.

Don't let this make your decision (I don't even know how accurate her statement was) but I would try and get some information from current studetns from both unis. Real people sharing real experiences will give you a good idea on what to think along with published information.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.