Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why are all the people that want to do medicine got psychology degrees. Did you all suddenly realise after you graduated that your degree was useless and thought of medicine as a way out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    Did you all suddenly realise after you graduated that your degree was useless and thought of medicine as a way out.
    Great communication skills, there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Great communication skills, there.
    You know that I am right, don't you.

ReputationRep:
    The people with psychology degrees (I'm not one) possibly realised that its harder to get into a clinical psychology doctoral programme than it is to get into medicine. Or more probably they just realised they wanted to be medical doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SemperVivum)
    The people with psychology degrees (I'm not one) possibly realised that its harder to get into a clinical psychology doctoral programme than it is to get into medicine. Or more probably they just realised they wanted to be medical doctors.
    LOL, this is totally true :P

But personally, I worked in mental health for 3 years and realized I found other aspects of healthcare far more interesting, far more rewarding and far less likely to result in stalking, assault or allegations!

ReputationRep:
    This being based on what, exactly?

ReputationRep:
    I did psychology with the eventual hope of being a Clinical Psychologist after being rejected from medicine at 18 and was always torn between these 2 careers, so just thought the fact I didn't get in was fate.

Spent a year shadowing a Clinical Psychologist in a Psychiatric Hospital on my placement year and realised that the career wasn't for me. Being in the medical environment did make me want to go back to my original ambition of doing medicine, therefore I applied as a Graduate.

ReputationRep:
    Why are all the people that want to do medicine got psychology degrees. Did you all suddenly realise after you graduated that your degree was useless and thought of medicine as a way out.
    When you actually think about it, there are around 101 Universities that provide some sort of Psychology degree.. and then you think of the num,ber of graduates that come from each University.....
    It's hardly surprising they're popping up everywhere.

I always wondered why you had negitive reputation....

ReputationRep:
    I did Maths & Physics, then worked in IT for two years before starting Medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkofaneye)
    Has anyone ever entered med school after getting an Accounting & Finance or Business related degree? Or is it even possible given that business and health science are totally unrelated?!

What degrees did u all have before enrolling into med school and how old were you by then? Do share!

My boyfriend is in the last year of his accounting degree but decided that he wants to do medicine. He applied and just got a conditional offer. He has to do an A level in chemistry and an As in biology though. So right now he is doing his third year classes for his degree and A level classes. If he meets his conditions he will be 23 when he starts. Hope that's helpful and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Are you actually going to elaborate on this comment or continue to sit there with your tail between your legs?

ReputationRep:
    I also did philosophy and also just firmed for this year(UEA). I don't think it matters all that much what your first subject was really. Its what you've done in addition to the degree that counts. I didn't get asked in interviews about philosophy or why the change, which I was a bit surprised about. And if you do get asked about what you gained in your first degree that is relevant to medicine you can always talk about good old transferable skills if you did a non-science degree. Like analysis, time management, attention to detail etc etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.