Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hey all,

Could somebody quickly explain where the 1/2 came from? I understand these formulas - they're pretty easy actually, but I don't see where the 1/2 appeared from.

\sqrt{3-4x^2} = 2\sqrt{3/4 - x^2}

(Original post by DFranklin)
    \sqrt{3-4x^2} = 2\sqrt{3/4 - x^2}
    Oh, so you can't sub in x = 4x as if they were two seperate variables? It's like with a binomial expansion, you have to have x on its own by taking the coefficient away.

Edit: Does me working look good now assuming infinite limits....?

• PS Helper

PS Helper
    When you differentiate (2x)^2 you don't get 2 \times 2x; essentially the same idea is happening here. When you're substituting things in calculus you need to consider what's happening -- you're not just relabelling stuff. It's different with the binomial expansion because you're not taking any derivatives or integrals, so you can just substitute what you like. However if you were to make the substitution u=2x then you'd have the factor du = 2\, dx to consider, which is where the \dfrac{1}{2} comes from.
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.