?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
well...can you?
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I did at Leeds and Newcastle by ringing them. They said that they would reconsider it if I wrote a letter but by then I had the offer that I wanted from elsewhere.

You can appeal a decision -

1. Ring the admissions tutor and POLITELY explain your situation.

2. Ask her/ him (alot of them seem to be female) to offer their reasons for rejection.

3. State your reason that you think you should be reconsidered, if you make a good case they may ask for a further reference from your college with a view to making you an offer.

The above worked for me but by the time my college said they would do me a further letter I already had the offer that I wanted from Hull.
CaSTle OUtsiDeR
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
well...can you?
no i dun think so...haven't heard of anyone doing that before...
it's like...before a uni makes a decision, it's the 'boss'
then when u've got an offer from a uni, u are the 'boss'...i mean u can decide whether to accept the offer or not...
*Riz*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
well...can you?
Well you can always try you have nothing to loose unless you are planning on reapplying to the same university in the future. As far as i know there is no offical way of appealing against rejections, you just have to take it up with the univerisity itself. 9 times out of 10 you will get nowhere but I have seen posts on this board about people that have got offers from places that they were first rejected from. This would only usually happen if a univeristy had misinterprted something on your application or you could provide them with extra information - eg another reference which significantly improves your appliction. Or if you are doing unusual qualificants and you can prove your academic potential better than you could on your ucas form.
As I said it is very unlikely that you will get an offer but it has happened so don't give up if you reallllly want to go somewhere. As i said before unless you're reapplying you've got nothing to loose. It might just be worth contacting the univeristy in question and asking why you were rejected then in light of what they say ask if they would be preapred to reconsider your applicant if you provided them with any additional information, references, academic work etc. Atleast by phoning them you will be showing how keen you are to go to that uni.
Be preapred of a straight "No" though, or just to be told that there is not enough places for you as the course was really popular/very oversubsribed this year. If they say this then I would just leave it and try to move on as i doubt you would get anywhere unfortunatly .
If you don't atleast try now then you may end up kicking yourself for not doing so in the future. Atleast if you try and they still say "No" then you won't feel like you didn't try.....and they could even end up saying yes
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.73%
Uncertainty around my education (185)
15.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (133)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (172)
14.27%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (52)
4.32%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.64%
Loneliness (103)
8.55%
Financial worries (40)
3.32%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.73%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.65%
Lack of real life entertainment (65)
5.39%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (107)
8.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (110)
9.13%

Watched Threads