Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannyr)
    Thanks, but why don't you advise the lemon suggestion may I ask?
    tried it, forgot to wash it off the next morning and got sunburnt in the hot welsh sun several years ago haha

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your answers. I read them all and they have helped a lot.

(Original post by youfat*******)
    How long have you been taking the stuff?
    About 9 months I think.

(Original post by Destroyviruses)
    Get a stronger one. Does the cream make your skin peel?
    No it doesn't. I use 10%, and it doesn't even dry my skin out very much. I have to use a LOT for it to dry it out.

So I'm gonna try and stop using the BP and see how it goes. Might think about getting some of that other stuff, but I'm not sure yet as the price is pretty high.
    Thanks again, and any other suggestions would be great.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 15 (male) and I've had acne for the past few years now. I started to use benzoyl peroxide (prescribed by doctor) and it does seem to be working in some way, but in other ways it just fades them but the actual spot is still there. I'm not sure if these are just scars, but the cream does seem to be stopping any new ones from appearing.
    So does anyone know how to get rid of the scars? And also an alternative to benzoyl peroxide as I've heard it's not so good for the skin.
    Any advice would be helpful, thanks :-)
    Don't know if they are actually scars, of course they might be, but you could have what I have - spots that are beneath the skin. Do they look like normal spots yet when you run your finger over them it's perfectly smooth?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your answers. I read them all and they have helped a lot.

About 9 months I think.

No it doesn't. I use 10%, and it doesn't even dry my skin out very much. I have to use a LOT for it to dry it out.

So I'm gonna try and stop using the BP and see how it goes. Might think about getting some of that other stuff, but I'm not sure yet as the price is pretty high.
    Thanks again, and any other suggestions would be great.
    Try find some good exfoliators or bio-oil . I've been told bio oil is good for cut scars , so probably for spots too.

ReputationRep:
    Im really sensitive to BP.....so I use a 10% glycolic acid day cream and its amazing! I hardly ever get spots anymore Search for Neostrata, it doesnt come cheap but my god its worth it! I use the cleansing lotion (£17) and the ultra smoothing day cream(£25), you can buy them from www.effortlessskin.com

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that worked for my acne (which I had for ~8 years) was the pill. I wish I'd gone on it sooner :sad: Also wish I could suggest it to guys :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatemylife)
    Don't know if they are actually scars, of course they might be, but you could have what I have - spots that are beneath the skin. Do they look like normal spots yet when you run your finger over them it's perfectly smooth?
    That's exactly what they are! Now - how do i get rid of them?!

(Original post by ily_em)
    The only thing that worked for my acne (which I had for ~8 years) was the pill. I wish I'd gone on it sooner :sad: Also wish I could suggest it to guys :P
    Haha, I'm afrad that's not gonna work. But I'm glad it worked for you!

ReputationRep:

About 9 months I think.

mmmm i would recommend getting some different antibiotics from the doctor then if your not seeing decent results by now

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly what they are! Now - how do i get rid of them?!

Haha, I'm afrad that's not gonna work. But I'm glad it worked for you!
    Well, this is the bad news. I don't know :rolleyes: I used to be on Bezol - can't spell - oxide as well in conjunction with doxycycline. These eventually stopped working after a couple years and I'm now on something else that I can't remember (or at least will be when I get to the dr for a repeat prescription...) This new stuff seems to prevent on the surface ones yet I still get the under the skin ones. My doctor told me that with males, (I know you're 15 so not sure if this applies yet) when we shave the razor pulls the hair which subsequently pulls various thing beneath the skin and aggravates acne. Lots of people say that diet doesn't affect it, but I disagree. I think if you lower refined sugar in your diet then that might do something to stop feeding the bacteria and sebum. I'm no expert but acne has, and still does, plague me. Best thing to do is google about under the skin acne and see have a read.

If you go to your doctor and say that are beneath the skin then he might have something up his sleeve that could deal with it. Other than that, I don't know what to suggest

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is the bad news. I don't know :rolleyes: I used to be on Bezol - can't spell - oxide as well in conjunction with doxycycline. These eventually stopped working after a couple years and I'm now on something else that I can't remember (or at least will be when I get to the dr for a repeat prescription...) This new stuff seems to prevent on the surface ones yet I still get the under the skin ones. My doctor told me that with males, (I know you're 15 so not sure if this applies yet) when we shave the razor pulls the hair which subsequently pulls various thing beneath the skin and aggravates acne. Lots of people say that diet doesn't affect it, but I disagree. I think if you lower refined sugar in your diet then that might do something to stop feeding the bacteria and sebum. I'm no expert but acne has, and still does, plague me. Best thing to do is google about under the skin acne and see have a read.

If you go to your doctor and say that are beneath the skin then he might have something up his sleeve that could deal with it. Other than that, I don't know what to suggest
    Hmm ok. Thanks for the answer anyway. I've tried face scrubs, and at one point just scrubbed it as hard as I could, but I think my skin is made of leather or something.
    I changed my diet when I frist noticed the acne, and I eat really healthily now, so yeah.. I've tried a lot of things lol.
    I wouldn't say it's so bad that I'm ashamed of it, and it has dropped my confidence much.. but would jsut be great to get rid of it. I may go back to the doctors and ask him about it, and as you have said you don't know the answer, I'll get back to you if/when I find out!

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctors, seriously. Depending on how bad your acne is you can get prescribed stuff that sorts it out and clears it up, yes it can take a while to find the right treatment but when you do it's like magic; I'm on roaccutane and it's done wonders, in a month my face has completely cleared up, but my acne was classed as just below moderate so you might not get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    Go to the doctors, seriously. Depending on how bad your acne is you can get prescribed stuff that sorts it out and clears it up, yes it can take a while to find the right treatment but when you do it's like magic; I'm on roaccutane and it's done wonders, in a month my face has completely cleared up, but my acne was classed as just below moderate so you might not get it
    Was there a sort of chart? When i went the first time there was pictures, from 1 to 5 showing how bad it was. Mine was number 3, but thinking back, I was a lot worse than I am now. I think I must be 2 now..

ReputationRep:
    Hmm ok. Thanks for the answer anyway. I've tried face scrubs, and at one point just scrubbed it as hard as I could, but I think my skin is made of leather or something.
    I changed my diet when I frist noticed the acne, and I eat really healthily now, so yeah.. I've tried a lot of things lol.
    I wouldn't say it's so bad that I'm ashamed of it, and it has dropped my confidence much.. but would jsut be great to get rid of it. I may go back to the doctors and ask him about it, and as you have said you don't know the answer, I'll get back to you if/when I find out!
    I empathise with your frustration. I've used face scrubs, face washes, face masks, moisturiser the bloody lot! Just so as you know, it's not always a good idea to scrub as hard as you can. It can often do more damage than good as the granules break the skin lipids which essentially hold skin cells together like cement and bricks. Also, I don't know if you''d be agreeable with the idea, but when I went to my doctor for the first time she suggested using a moisturiser and recommended an oil free one (£15 though!) Moisturiser might sound a bit counter-productive, but if your skin is dry then it makes up for it by producing more oil and thus more spots! Vicious cycle.

Yes, please do! I'm looking for a solution to it as much as you are!

ReputationRep:

You were on an antibiotic for years!? Who the hell prescribed you antibiotics for years lol? It's no wonder they stopped working, your body probably adapted to them which could be bad news if you ever need antibiotics to treat an infection.

Someone mentioned cocoa butter clogging your pores, and yes, the normal cream does, but the special formula is a lot thinner and contains alpha and beta hydroxy acid; beta hydroxy acid (or BHA) is sometimes prescribed as an acne treatment as a 2% cream, alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) is commonly used in professional skin products or professional clinics for things like chemical peels, anti-ageing creams, scar treatments etc... So the combination is an awesome one and it's really cheap -

http://www.boots.com/en/Palmers-Coco...-250ml_955327/

ReputationRep:
    I empathise with your frustration. I've used face scrubs, face washes, face masks, moisturiser the bloody lot! Just so as you know, it's not always a good idea to scrub as hard as you can. It can often do more damage than good as the granules break the skin lipids which essentially hold skin cells together like cement and bricks. Also, I don't know if you''d be agreeable with the idea, but when I went to my doctor for the first time she suggested using a moisturiser and recommended an oil free one (£15 though!) Moisturiser might sound a bit counter-productive, but if your skin is dry then it makes up for it by producing more oil and thus more spots! Vicious cycle.

Yes, please do! I'm looking for a solution to it as much as you are!
    My skin is the complete opposite of dry lol.
    And yeah I know,, but I was just bored of having them and had just had enough, so I thought I'd give scrubbing a go. To anyone who hasn't had acne I sound like I am overreacting, but it really is so annoying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anti-duck)
    You were on an antibiotic for years!? Who the hell prescribed you antibiotics for years lol? It's no wonder they stopped working, your body probably adapted to them which could be bad news if you ever need antibiotics to treat an infection.
    It's disturbingly common actually. I was on Oxytet for 4 years, Limecycline for 1 year and Erythromycin for 3 years (coming off that was my decision, not the doc's) . And 4 different doctors in separate practices signed off on that.

Do you really think they'd all agree to do that if it did pose a long-term health risk? (Serious question, I'm just curious since there should be legal ramifications if it is the case.)

ReputationRep:
    Was there a sort of chart? When i went the first time there was pictures, from 1 to 5 showing how bad it was. Mine was number 3, but thinking back, I was a lot worse than I am now. I think I must be 2 now..
    No, but I was classed as a '2' by the dermatologist
    It might take a while, they insist you try 3 antibiotics for 3 months each where I am, it may be different elsewhere in the country, but I was on each antibiotic for a lot more than 3 months in most cases. I went through Oxytet for nearly 7 months, Erythromycin (i think) for 8 months then Tetralysal for 3 months before I got referred.

I also used Retin-A, but I don't know if they use that as much nowadays, there was a patient safety announcement about it.

I've actually been on roaccutane a month, with no serious side effects, just dry lips and dry face, but I had a dry face before so no change there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anti-duck)

Someone mentioned cocoa butter clogging your pores, and yes, the normal cream does, but the special formula is a lot thinner and contains alpha and beta hydroxy acid; beta hydroxy acid (or BHA) is sometimes prescribed as an acne treatment as a 2% cream, alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) is commonly used in professional skin products or professional clinics for things like chemical peels, anti-ageing creams, scar treatments etc... So the combination is an awesome one and it's really cheap -

http://www.boots.com/en/Palmers-Coco...-250ml_955327/
    I'm not sure if it was an antibiotic that I was on for a couples of years, but since that one stopped working I went on an antibiotic (didn't work)

ReputationRep:
    My skin is the complete opposite of dry lol.
    And yeah I know,, but I was just bored of having them and had just had enough, so I thought I'd give scrubbing a go. To anyone who hasn't had acne I sound like I am overreacting, but it really is so annoying!
    Yeah, mine's really oily too, and I know what you mean, it seems trivial until you experience it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAnnThropic)
    Do you really think they'd all agree to do that if it did pose a long-term health risk? (Serious question, I'm just curious since there should be legal ramifications if it is the case.)
    I honestly haven't got a clue, all I do know is, is that it's pretty common knowledge that your body adapts to antibiotics, hence effectively becoming antibiotic-resistant and my doctor wouldn't prescribe Doxycycline for me for any longer than 3 months, I'm not sure if that's because I have other health problems though and am at high risk should I get an infection. Doxycycline, the antibiotic we were actually referring to though has a few quite important uses (STI's and malaria amongst others) so it's not something anyone would want to adapt to; I'm also not sure if when your body adapts to one family of antibiotic, it adapts to them all.

I'm not sure if it was an antibiotic that I was on for a couples of years, but since that one stopped working I went on an antibiotic (didn't work)
    Doxycycline is a member of the tetracycline family of antibiotics mate

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.