Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannyr)
    My skin is the complete opposite of dry lol.
    And yeah I know,, but I was just bored of having them and had just had enough, so I thought I'd give scrubbing a go. To anyone who hasn't had acne I sound like I am overreacting, but it really is so annoying!
    Oh no don't scrub, it really irritates the skin

Have you tried increasing the amount of BP you use?

I've just started with BP today, starting off with the least amount needed to cover affected areas and have been advised to up the amount, when it is less irritating, to literally as much as my skin can absorb.

I refused to take my first set of anti bios and when I went Docs today just asked to try something I else, I was actually hoping for BP as I've heard better reviews from it than antibios (although I realise nothing is perfect).

I've also heard that people recommend that you moisturise so that skin is less itchy and it soothes it. My Mum thinks it's ridiculous because you're supposed to be getting oil out of the skin, but on the other hand - as well as her having absolutely no experience with Acne - moisturiser is very different to grease. Any thoughts on this? I'm gona do some more research in the meantime...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anti-duck)
    I honestly haven't got a clue, all I do know is, is that it's pretty common knowledge that your body adapts to antibiotics, hence effectively becoming antibiotic-resistant and my doctor wouldn't prescribe Doxycycline for me for any longer than 3 months, I'm not sure if that's because I have other health problems though and am at high risk should I get an infection. Doxycycline, the antibiotic we were actually referring to though has a few quite important uses (STI's and malaria amongst others) so it's not something anyone would want to adapt to; I'm also not sure if when your body adapts to one family of antibiotic, it adapts to them all.

Doxycycline is a member of the tetracycline family of antibiotics mate
    Well, I was on it taking them once a day for about two years... all I was told was that I should wear sun cream as it sensitises my skin... I never did though, but I rarely went outside in the summer :cool:

What's so bad about taking antibiotics like that? (as you will have deduced, the sciences never quite agreed with me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatemylife)
    Well, I was on it taking them once a day for about two years... all I was told was that I should wear sun cream as it sensitises my skin... I never did though, but I rarely went outside in the summer :cool:

What's so bad about taking antibiotics like that? (as you will have deduced, the sciences never quite agreed with me)
    Your body adapts to them

ReputationRep:
    Your body adapts to them
    Which is why they stopped working, yeah I knew I'd become immune, so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly haven't got a clue, all I do know is, is that it's pretty common knowledge that your body adapts to antibiotics, hence effectively becoming antibiotic-resistant and my doctor wouldn't prescribe Doxycycline for me for any longer than 3 months, I'm not sure if that's because I have other health problems though and am at high risk should I get an infection. Doxycycline, the antibiotic we were actually referring to though has a few quite important uses (STI's and malaria amongst others) so it's not something anyone would want to adapt to; I'm also not sure if when your body adapts to one family of antibiotic, it adapts to them all.
    Ah right, thanks. It'd be a shame if oxytet is completely useless to me now (which I think it is), fortunately I was never on doxy... Erythromicin still seems to work for me (cross fingers) so with any luck I'm okay! Just a bit nervous since my family is very prone to lung infections and as far as I'm aware lots of them have suffered for years with pneumonia, which I really wouldn't enjoy .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but why don't you advise the lemon suggestion may I ask?
    It's very drying. I wouldn't use lemon to lighten my hair either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAnnThropic)
    Ah right, thanks. It'd be a shame if oxytet is completely useless to me now (which I think it is), fortunately I was never on doxy... Erythromicin still seems to work for me (cross fingers) so with any luck I'm okay! Just a bit nervous since my family is very prone to lung infections and as far as I'm aware lots of them have suffered for years with pneumonia, which I really wouldn't enjoy .
    Ooooohh Well I hope your doctor is aware of your family's history of health problems?

ReputationRep:
    So, would you say Benzoyl Peroxide or Antibiotics are BETTER to use, in the sense of, better for your skin, and better for your health overall? Lets say over a 6 month period?

ReputationRep:
    So, would you say Benzoyl Peroxide or Antibiotics are BETTER to use, in the sense of, better for your skin, and better for your health overall? Lets say over a 6 month period?
    Neither are good for scarring. Overall, they both have their pro's and cons -

Benzoyl Peroxide -

Alright to use in moderation.
    Cheap.
    Will dehydrate the living **** out of you skin in used in excess.
    Will put 10 years on your face if used in excess.
    Will make scars more visible if anything.

Antibiotics -

Will most likely clear up any acne.
    can kill about 5 birds with one stone (so to speak) if you have acne, malaria, chlamydia, a respiratory tract infection and a urinary tract infection, you could kill the **** out of all of them at once
    May stop working when your body adapts.
    You're ****ed if you get the bubonic plague when your body adapts to the antibiotic that kills it.

ReputationRep:
    Honey works . Put honey in a plate and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds take it out, it should be quite liquidy and not sticky, apply it all over your face (apply more were your acne is) only at night time just as your about to sleep than keep it on for 20 minute and rise it off. I'm telling you now, you WILL see a difference. It worked for me take my word.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diwsA1JRLU8

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 15 (male) and I've had acne for the past few years now. I started to use benzoyl peroxide (prescribed by doctor) and it does seem to be working in some way, but in other ways it just fades them but the actual spot is still there. I'm not sure if these are just scars, but the cream does seem to be stopping any new ones from appearing.
    So does anyone know how to get rid of the scars? And also an alternative to benzoyl peroxide as I've heard it's not so good for the skin.
    Any advice would be helpful, thanks :-)
    Have you tried Isotretinoin (commercially called Roaccutane, Accutane, Decutan, Isotane.. etc..)??? It's really magic, seriously I have baby skin now! But it's prescriptioned so you have to go to a dermatologist and do a blood test beforhand. It's affordable, too! And I think insurance covers it if you have severe acne. Though, it has a lot of side-affects if you're not healthy enough (hence the blood tests). But the only side-affects I got were dry lips and occasional back pains that are easily manageable with lip balm and bruffen

As for the scars, you can get laser treatment. I haven't done it cuz my acne was only mild, but my cousin did it, she had severe scaring on her cheeks now they've faded away.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noor3000)
    Have you tried Isotretinoin (commercially called Roaccutane, Accutane, Decutan, Isotane.. etc..)??? It's really magic, seriously I have baby skin now! But it's prescriptioned so you have to go to a dermatologist and do a blood test beforhand. It's affordable, too! And I think insurance covers it if you have severe acne. Though, it has a lot of side-affects if you're not healthy enough (hence the blood tests). But the only side-affects I got were dry lips and occasional back pains that are easily manageable with lip balm and bruffen

As for the scars, you can get laser treatment. I haven't done it cuz my acne was only mild, but my cousin did it, she had severe scaring on her cheeks now they've faded away.

Good luck!
    Roaccutane is the *******s! I took it well over a year ago and I still look freshhhhh. It gets rid of all the oil in your face. OP,You can waste your time going from one waste of time treatment to the next when you could just go straight for the best thing available and be gone with worrying about spots..... It's your choice though offcourse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovelife1234)
    Honey works . Put honey in a plate and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds take it out, it should be quite liquidy and not sticky, apply it all over your face (apply more were your acne is) only at night time just as your about to sleep than keep it on for 20 minute and rise it off. I'm telling you now, you WILL see a difference. It worked for me take my word.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diwsA1JRLU8
    It worked for you.... Roaccutane would steal your honey and give it back to the bees!

Edit: Lol at that girl (you) in the vid, bet she/you eats more of the honey than she/you put's on her/your face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    It worked for you.... Roaccutane would steal your honey and give it back to the bees!

Edit: Lol at that girl (you) in the vid, bet she/you eats more of the honey than she/you put's on her/your face.
    LOLOLOL, seriously it works.... I tried it and now my face is clear

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 15 (male) and I've had acne for the past few years now. I started to use benzoyl peroxide (prescribed by doctor) and it does seem to be working in some way, but in other ways it just fades them but the actual spot is still there. I'm not sure if these are just scars, but the cream does seem to be stopping any new ones from appearing.
    So does anyone know how to get rid of the scars? And also an alternative to benzoyl peroxide as I've heard it's not so good for the skin.
    Any advice would be helpful, thanks :-)

Ask anybody who has ever suffered from acne what was the least enjoyable part of the whole experience and probably the most possible answer will be the scars - acne scars that remain long after acne is gone. If having acne is considered bad, then what about having acne scars for several years more ? If acne scars are what you want to either avoid or get rid of, then a few tips are presented here ...

Prevention is better than cure

If you are still in the early stages of acne then you might want to consult a qualified dermatologist at the earliest to prevent acne from getting worse. Getting rid of acne fast can greatly reduce the chances of scarring later on. A qualified dermatologist can help determine your skin type and the particular triggers that may exacerbate your acne help you get rid of acne fast.
    What if you already have scars?
    Well, if your acne has already progressed beyond the initial stage of whiteheads and blackheads and you now have pimples and scars on your face, then you have to do two things at the same time - get rid of pimples and get rid of acne scars.
    Before discussing how to eliminate acne scars, you may want to know...

What are acne scars?

Acne scars are caused when pimples either get inflamed or do not heal fully. Acne scars are formed when at least one of the layers of healthy skin is injured. When the skin is damaged and bleeding, the body forms new tissue fibers at the place to heal the wound and stop the bleeding. It is these tissues that may appear as a scar.
    So getting rid of scars requires that the scar tissue be replaced by healthy tissue by some process or method.
    Becoming completely free of acne scars that already have been formed depends on two things : 1) The severity of the scarring and 2) the treatment method you follow. The more severe the scarring, the more effort and time it may require before the scar can completely heal.

Treatment methods for acne scars

There are several methods to heal acne scars but in practice very few of them may be very effective. And some methods may have side effects that you may want to be aware of before you start such a program.
    Laser Resurfacing: A carbon dioxide laser burns away the damaged skin, layer by layer. The depth of penetration is controlled. As the outer layers of damaged skin is removed, new skin cells begin to form as the healing process starts and in a few weeks, a younger looking smoother skin surface begins to appear. This is how the process is supposed to work, at least in theory. Laser resurfacing is a relatively new process and you might want to ask your dermatologist about the effectiveness of this method in healing acne scars.
    Dermabrasion: This uses a spinning diamond instrument or a rotating wire brush to wear down the outer layers of the skin that have been damaged. And when the skin starts healing, younger and smoother skin will replace the old skin removed by abrasion. The healing process may take up to 3 weeks.
    Chemical peels for acne scars: Acidic solutions are applied to the skin to peel away the damaged layers and the new skin that is formed is usually smoother. Chemical peels range from mild to deep penetration. Though chemical peels can be applied at home, it would be advisable to get a dermatologist to apply it.
    Punch grafts: More suitable for deep and pitted acne scars, this method involves punching a hole to remove the scar and then removing a small piece of undamaged skin - usually from the area behind the ear - and using it to replace the damaged skin.
    There are treatments for acne scars. But the question you may want to ask is...

Do They Work?

All of the treatments mentioned above seem to have a moderate success rate - while they seem to work well for others, some are less than delighted with these treatments. While results like these may be expected with any medical procedure, your face is a very important part of your life and you will want to be absolutely certain that any treatment will be beneficial to your sense of well-being and not otherwise.
    In case you want to read other acne treatments that seem to work very well, you may want to see how to get rid of acne marks .

I hope this information helps everyone concerned. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've had acne since I was around your age and have tried quite a few remedies. Thankfully, mine has virtually gone now but I do end up with the odd spot once a week... mainly due to shaving irritation.

First off, I would only go on roaccutane as a last resort. You're 15 and acne is, as you well know, very common for that age range. Roaccutane has quite a few side effects, most commonly dry skin and joint pains. Note the latter may mean it'll be difficult to keep active - sports, gym etc.
    I took Roaccutane when I was 19 (now 21) and it virtually got rid of all my acne. However 2 months later my face started getting oily again so I took another visit to the GP, in view of getting an appointment with the Dermatologist. My GP ended up persuading me to be patient and told me my acne would go with age. BUT, the most significant thing he said was to wash my face with water, only water. No face wash, no scrub, just water! And guess what, it worked! All I do now is rinse my face with warm water, splash it with cold water, dry, and apply oil-free moisturiser. I use face wash like once a week, but rest of the time I use water. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but I'd say give it a go at least. My theory is that face washes strip the "natural" oil from your skin, making it overproduce sebum. Washing with just water means that "natural" oil is kept whilst removing any excess grease.

Other tips:
    - Don't be afraid of BP. I still use it sometimes and it's the only treatment that doesn't become resistant to acne bacteria
    - Drink plenty of water
    - Try to get plenty of sleep, at least 8 hrs.
    - Keep active. Do cardio or anything that gets you sweating.
    - Sudocrem! Commonly used for nappy rashes, but you can also use it for acne (says it on the tub!). Just google and you'll see plenty of positive results. I use it whenever I get a spot - reduces redness A LOT and speeds up healing time.
    - Lastly, and probably the most debatable, don't masturbate! Again, just google and you'll find plenty of results. I'd have to say that this is the second most important factor that has helped my acne. At first I didn't want to believe it, but the results forced me think otherwise. As said, its very debatable but most people who have tried abstinence say it works. Often rejected by obsessive masturbators . But I can understand this maybe a bit hard at your age, hitting puberty and all. It gets easier as you get older.

Good luck!

(Original post by jam12)
    - Lastly, and probably the most debatable, don't masturbate! Again, just google and you'll find plenty of results. I'd have to say that this is the second most important factor that has helped my acne. At first I didn't want to believe it, but the results forced me think otherwise. As said, its very debatable but most people who have tried abstinence say it works. Often rejected by obsessive masturbators . But I can understand this maybe a bit hard at your age, hitting puberty and all. It gets easier as you get older.
    This is actually hugely debatable as in some cases (hormonal acne) it helps

ReputationRep:
    Go to the Doctor.

That's what I did, he gave me a cream and now it's not there. (well kinda)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam12)

Don't be ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam12)
    Hey, I've had acne since I was around your age and have tried quite a few remedies. Thankfully, mine has virtually gone now but I do end up with the odd spot once a week... mainly due to shaving irritation.

First off, I would only go on roaccutane as a last resort. You're 15 and acne is, as you well know, very common for that age range. Roaccutane has quite a few side effects, most commonly dry skin and joint pains. Note the latter may mean it'll be difficult to keep active - sports, gym etc.
    I took Roaccutane when I was 19 (now 21) and it virtually got rid of all my acne. However 2 months later my face started getting oily again so I took another visit to the GP, in view of getting an appointment with the Dermatologist. My GP ended up persuading me to be patient and told me my acne would go with age. BUT, the most significant thing he said was to wash my face with water, only water. No face wash, no scrub, just water! And guess what, it worked! All I do now is rinse my face with warm water, splash it with cold water, dry, and apply oil-free moisturiser. I use face wash like once a week, but rest of the time I use water. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but I'd say give it a go at least. My theory is that face washes strip the "natural" oil from your skin, making it overproduce sebum. Washing with just water means that "natural" oil is kept whilst removing any excess grease.

Other tips:
    - Don't be afraid of BP. I still use it sometimes and it's the only treatment that doesn't become resistant to acne bacteria
    - Drink plenty of water
    - Try to get plenty of sleep, at least 8 hrs.
    - Keep active. Do cardio or anything that gets you sweating.
    - Sudocrem! Commonly used for nappy rashes, but you can also use it for acne (says it on the tub!). Just google and you'll see plenty of positive results. I use it whenever I get a spot - reduces redness A LOT and speeds up healing time.

Good luck!
    Haha, thanks for your help!
    I have actually started just rinsing my face with water, and like you, using a face wash once or twice per week. Only been doing this for a week or so, so haven't noticed any improvements just yet. How often do you rinse it? I've been doing it about three times per day as my skin is VERY oily, it's crazy.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.