Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am a bit confused about the university accommodation. I am firming Sheffield Hallam as my choice, but booking accommodation is what I am having problems with. It's probably really easy but when you book it do you have to book through the university itself, or can you book through other websites such as "Unite" etc. If so what are these and are they in partnership with the uni's and does it mean they are privately owned?

I want Opal 1 and maybe Trigon as my choices, but on the uni website they only offer Opal 1, but on the other websites like "opalstudents.com" they offer Opal 1, 2 and 3. Are they safe to book through these. I also heard you are guaranteed a room if you book with the outside sites. Is there any catch though?

Sorry I didn't make sense, any advice and help would be great. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Most of them you have to book through the university, for instance Trigon although it is with Derwent Living , it cannot be booked privately whereas Unite accomodation i.e. Forge , Pinnacles & Opal can be booked privately. I know Pinnacles is in partnership with the uni but im not sure about Opal , more than likely they are hence why its on the SHU accomodation website.

Yes it is safe to book through opal students as thats the official website. Yes you can guarantee a room but like all accomodations except Pinnacles and i think Opal, if you book privately you will lose your Booking fee i.e. £250 if you are not accepted into the university as they may take it as admin fees. That happened to me last yr when i booked privately and didnt get into uni which sucked, but if you know you will meet the conditions then book privately as you know you will be more than likely going to attend uni in sept.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, this helped loads.. was getting all stressed haha! Yeah I am almost passed my course because I'm doing higher access not A levels so I'm definitely okay to book etc.. I may just ring up to double check, I'm such a worrier haha.

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Your welcome.

Yeah likewise as I retook just to improve my grades thinking they only took 3 A-levels when they take 4 A-levels

Yeah i double checked when i booked pinnacles and they made me sign a form so i could get my money back if i dont get an offer but they are the only student accomodation doing that offer to 1st yrs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelsea-pereen)
    Thank you, this helped loads.. was getting all stressed haha! Yeah I am almost passed my course because I'm doing higher access not A levels so I'm definitely okay to book etc.. I may just ring up to double check, I'm such a worrier haha.

Thankyou
    hey I’m going to SHU too for me i booked through the uni, because i wanted to make shore i get put with 1st years

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, I still haven't booked yet, I am waiting for my dad to put the deposit in my bank! I am choosing Opal 1, which I can book through the uni aswell, as before I was choosing Opal 3, but i've realised that it is too far away so going with opal 1 now. God all these decisions are making my head hurt. Where are you staying? I am definitely booking with opalstudents website and not the uni because it is not a guaranteed place if you book with the uni.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Shanaz_Raina_92)
    Hi,

Most of them you have to book through the university, for instance Trigon although it is with Derwent Living , it cannot be booked privately whereas Unite accomodation i.e. Forge , Pinnacles & Opal can be booked privately. I know Pinnacles is in partnership with the uni but im not sure about Opal , more than likely they are hence why its on the SHU accomodation website.

Yes it is safe to book through opal students as thats the official website. Yes you can guarantee a room but like all accomodations except Pinnacles and i think Opal, if you book privately you will lose your Booking fee i.e. £250 if you are not accepted into the university as they may take it as admin fees. That happened to me last yr when i booked privately and didnt get into uni which sucked, but if you know you will meet the conditions then book privately as you know you will be more than likely going to attend uni in sept.

Hope that helps
    Hi, I just wanted to let you guys know that not all private accommodation refuses to return your deposit if you are not accepted to university. The policy at iQ is that if you can prove you were not accepted, we will return your deposit in full.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.