Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AV better for BNP watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    So both A and B stop trying to get the extremists votes?
    But under AV it's a necessity because you need at least the acquiescence of over half the community (including extremists) rather than the desires of the largest minority (which in many instances is in fact a majority anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-bang-theory)
    But under AV it's a necessity because you need at least the acquiescence of over half the community (including extremists) rather than the desires of the largest minority (which in many instances is in fact a majority anyway).
    Doesn't the party with fewest votes get kicked out each time? So say A has 49% and B has 48% with all others having been kicked out, A would win? This would be a very freaky result though, akin to someone winning with 12% with the other 8 parties getting 11% in FPTP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Doesn't the party with fewest votes get kicked out each time? So say A has 49% and B has 48% with all others having been kicked out, A would win? This would be a very freaky result though, akin to someone winning with 12% with the other 8 parties getting 11% in FPTP.
    The party with the fewest votes gets kicked out and the next highest preference of all the people that voted for that ejected party are allocated as normal votes. So if BNP votes BNP preference one and Party A preference 2, when BNP are ejected, there vote counts as though they had voted for Party A first time round.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is relevant to the debate- we shouldn't be choosing our voting system on which parties it will help or harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-bang-theory)
    The party with the fewest votes gets kicked out and the next highest preference of all the people that voted for that ejected party are allocated as normal votes. So if BNP votes BNP preference one and Party A preference 2, when BNP are ejected, there vote counts as though they had voted for Party A first time round.
    Yes I know, I was describing a different scenario. If the parties are that similarly popular and the only difference is an extreme right wing minority of voters, then I'd actually agree the more right wing party should get the constituency, but they'd do well to remember how close the vote was and not stray very far from where they are currently. Let's face it, if the BNP got a seat in a constituency, all parties would have to become more extremist if they wanted that seat.

ReputationRep:
    Probably slightly, but not to the extent where it would make any difference. Besides, if enough people have voted for them, they have a right to the seat, simple. We can't deny them this right simply because the majority of people disagree with them, and frankly it's telling how weak the 'No to AV' campaign is that they're using this as a justification for keeping FPTP.

ReputationRep:
    whats AV?

ReputationRep:
    BNP = Big Nice Penis

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see the BNP getting 50%+ of the vote. I think most people would vote the 3 main parties before the BNP. I think the BNP has a better chance in FPTP. They would only need a minority of votes to win.

I don't see how they will, either they'll get first preference or they just won't be on anybodies list at all - they won't gain enough first preferences to get 50% in any constituency, therefore I don't see how they'd win any seats under AV.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.