Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic watch

• View Poll Results: What topic is the synoptic part of the paper going to be on?
    Energy security
    4.92%
    Water conflicts
    8.20%
    Biodiversity
    1.64%
    Superpowers
    4.92%
    Development
    55.74%
    The technological fix
    24.59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben05)
    "One of the more environmentally sustainable projects is Mogador. One of the green initiatives includes the establishment of a tree nursery containing 4,000 trees and 400,000 seedlings, to create food for the complex, thus showing an improved food security. They have also introduced a new species of grass in the area; this grass needs little water consumption, thus making a sustainable water future for the area. Moreover, the Gardens of Mogador filter is a project to recover and purify the wastewater from the city, this shows that Plan Azur is improving the lives of local people as well as boosting tourism."
    Is this part of vision 2010/20 or is it completely unrelated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelic03)
    Is this part of vision 2010/20 or is it completely unrelated?
    Yeh, Mogador is one of the Vision 2010 projects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade-Emma)
    I've made some notes on the Maghreb if anyone wants them just let me know xx
    Yess pleaseee god that would be amazinggg!!! Thank youuu

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Is anyone doing water and/or super powers?? If so, which case studies are you using?? I'm struggling to find useful ones for the exam...

Thanks in advanced !!

ReputationRep:
    for water - California (transfer schemes in and between states (Colorado)), Turkey GAP, Israel water scarcity, China's south-to-north project and Three Gorges Dam, Spain's Ebro diversion, Australia's MDB plan, China's cost of economic growth (pollution), water provatisation in Bolivia, water transfer schemes Snowy mountains in Australia,

smaller case studies - India and Bangladesh conflict (over Brahmaputra and Ganges), Nile Basin

I think that's it for me

ReputationRep:
    Question,

In the source booklet it says the countries are in debt. Eg, Mauritania is a HIPC. How did the 5 countries get into debt in the first place? Is it the same reason as countries like Uganda got into debt through OPEC raising prices, opec members putting money in western banks, western banks lending money out to countries such as in the Maghreb (Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia), interests doubled and whalla debt?

Question no.2

Have these countries been affected by SAP's by the IMF such as reduction in gov spending on health for example?

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merrylora)
    Hey!

Is anyone doing water and/or super powers?? If so, which case studies are you using?? I'm struggling to find useful ones for the exam...

Thanks in advanced !!
    I'm doing those two ones

Possible Water Case Studies:
    Intrastate - California (colorado), MDB, China (South-North), French water companies in Bolivia, Coca Cola plant in India,

Interstate - Turkey (GAP problems with Syria+Iraq), Nile, Maghreb countries

Future case studies could include somewher like middle africa, where atm there is no conflict because there is economic water scarcity, but as those countries develop and solve the tech fix problem, the water may become more accessible and conflicts will arise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRockMaster)
    Hey guys.....Sorry for those who e-mailed me, but I have found a way of putting it up onto here There is another one on reducing the development gap that I will try to get on here.

Hope this helps
    Hey, thanks for the powerpoint But, what is WPI? Iv'e looked online and I can't find it.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    A good site, by the IMF, about Algeria's economy.. Oil dependency, youth unemployment rates and how to solve this problems

Hope it helps

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/...int012611a.htm

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else struggling to find the resource booklets for past papers online (for the synoptic section A)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merrylora)
    Hey!

Thanks in advanced !!
    for water:
    go to ones for conflict: India/Bangladesh, MDB, Helsinki Rules in general

for water security: South/North Transfer in China (top down), Ebro River Transfer in Spain (top down), Water Aid project in Bangladesh (bottom up)

Supporting case studies if need be: Aral Sea, California and Argentina

I'll let you know my superpower ones when I've decided!

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite understand the concept behind virtual water.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conwainator)
    Is anyone else struggling to find the resource booklets for past papers online (for the synoptic section A)
    on the front page of the exam (if in pdf format, there should be a paper clip. Click on it for the resource booklet

ReputationRep:
    Has the IMF given any loans to any of the Maghreb countries?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone fancy doing a quick planning burst of potential questions?

Explain why there are limitations to the economic growth of the Maghreb region (12 marks)
    Assess the contribution that tourism could make the economic and social development of Morocco (14 marks)
    Identify the environmental barriers to development. Explain how these will affect the economic and social development of the region. (14 marks)

And is anyone doing Biodiversity or Water conflicts for the Section A wanna share casestudies? or topics that we have to know casestudies on?

ReputationRep:
    A question I was worried about coming up was : discuss the development gap in the Maghreb! And also discuss the development gap between the Maghreb and the EU ? Any ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just :))
    I don't quite understand the concept behind virtual water.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance
    Basically, it's trading water indirectly.

For instance for morroco to make food, they use litres of water to produce?
    By buying this food off of morocco, we are effectively buying their water.
    This is a large issue asnin morocco 92% of water goes on agriculture, therefore people are buying their virtual water.

The question is is it fair for us to buy their food / virtual water when over 2 million don't have access to any? Hope it helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxgoodrum)
    A question I was worried about coming up was : discuss the development gap in the Maghreb! And also discuss the development gap between the Maghreb and the EU ? Any ideas
    I would think it is quite unlikely that one which relies so heavily on your knowledge of the EU will come up. It is probably more likely that it will just ask about the Maghreb and mention the EU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovygramp)
    Question,

In the source booklet it says the countries are in debt. Eg, Mauritania is a HIPC. How did the 5 countries get into debt in the first place? Is it the same reason as countries like Uganda got into debt through OPEC raising prices, opec members putting money in western banks, western banks lending money out to countries such as in the Maghreb (Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia), interests doubled and whalla debt?

Question no.2

Have these countries been affected by SAP's by the IMF such as reduction in gov spending on health for example?

Thankyou
    "Early in 2000, Mauritania applied for debt relief under the Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) and in December 2001 received support from donor and lending countries at a triennial consultative group review. IMF has been involved in economic reforms and fiscal discipline measures and has helped to produce the new, approved investment Code which has given opportunities for foreign investment since January 2002.
    Luckily, oil and gas have been discovered in Chinguetti and Tiof region and off the coast of the country. Mauritania will be an oil and gas exporting country in 2006."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelineG)
    Anyone fancy doing a quick planning burst of potential questions?

Explain why there are limitations to the economic growth of the Maghreb region (12 marks)
    Assess the contribution that tourism could make the economic and social development of Morocco (14 marks)
    Identify the environmental barriers to development. Explain how these will affect the economic and social development of the region. (14 marks)

And is anyone doing Biodiversity or Water conflicts for the Section A wanna share casestudies? or topics that we have to know casestudies on?

I have also chosen the Biodiversity and Water conflicts for Section A!
    I have quite a lot of case studies, mostly the ones in the book, i just find it hard remembering all the figures

Biodiversity case studies: Fynbos (South Africa), Daintree Rainforest, The Galapagos Islands (Endemism and invasive species), Coral reef ecosystem (services & values), Impact which economic development has on ecosystems – Udzungwa mountains Tanzania, Masai Mara Game Reserve Kenya. Sustainable yield in the Southern Ocean Fisheries.

Water conflicts case studies: Comparisions: China vs India, Canada vs Ethiopia, The Aral Sea and its restoration, Conflicts in the middle east – River Jordan and Euphrates & Tigris rivers, India & Bangladesh – Brahmaputra river, Colorado basin (geopolitics) Water transfers – Snowy mountain scheme.
    China: Three gorges dam project and South-North Transfer

It seems like a lot but think most of the will become irrelevant when we get the real question depending on the question area. Have you got the same case studies? Or any different ones?
    I was also looking through the unit specification and comparing it with past papers. I’m thinking a possible question for biodiversity might be about the players involved.

Best of luck to everyone!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 1, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.