Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic watch

• View Poll Results: What topic is the synoptic part of the paper going to be on?
    Energy security
    4.92%
    Water conflicts
    8.20%
    Biodiversity
    1.64%
    Superpowers
    4.92%
    Development
    55.74%
    The technological fix
    24.59%

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else feel nervous about the timings in this exam?
    I mean i know its 2 hours and a half, which is a long time but considering how much we have to write it will probably go quite fast. Im worried i'll spend too long on the first question and then wont finish it in time.

I feel quite confident about the exam and feel i know the topics well, im just really nervous
    Any advice? Would it be better to do section A or B first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottieee)
    Does anyone else feel nervous about the timings in this exam?
    I mean i know its 2 hours and a half, which is a long time but considering how much we have to write it will probably go quite fast. Im worried i'll spend too long on the first question and then wont finish it in time.

I feel quite confident about the exam and feel i know the topics well, im just really nervous
    Any advice? Would it be better to do section A or B first?
    I did a mock the other day and almost had enough time.

Yes, you do have to write fast, but you have to do that in almost every exam so it shouldn't feel too different.

The timing actually goes quite slowly because you are writing about so many different things. when I got to the Maghreb stuff, I just felt I couldnt be bothered. hope it doesnt happen in the exam though haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just :))
    for water:
    go to ones for conflict: India/Bangladesh, MDB, Helsinki Rules in general

for water security: South/North Transfer in China (top down), Ebro River Transfer in Spain (top down), Water Aid project in Bangladesh (bottom up)

Supporting case studies if need be: Aral Sea, California and Argentina

I'll let you know my superpower ones when I've decided!
    Sounds good!! and thanks for the case studies!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizziePiz)
    Hey, thanks for the powerpoint But, what is WPI? Iv'e looked online and I can't find it.
    Thanks!
    Water poverty index

glad to help!

ReputationRep:
    I just hope the resources are not too complicated. I remember last year when I did coasts, I spent a good 6 minutes depicting teh graph

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or can you log in into the World Heritage Site?? AHHHHH!!! I need to do more research and the site doesnt open...

http://whc.unesco.org/

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone have any technological fix Case Studies. I really struggling to find any

ReputationRep:
    I'm having trouble with the synopticity side of the Maghreb... could anyone help just clairfy how they are going to link it to each of the past geography units and topics (energy etc) and more importantly which casestudies they are using to compare to the Maghreb?

Also, how are you planning on linking in the synoptic side of the unit into your answer, structurally? IE must you relate each point you make with something synoptic?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blisssy)
    I'm having trouble with the synopticity side of the Maghreb... could anyone help just clairfy how they are going to link it to each of the past geography units and topics (energy etc) and more importantly which casestudies they are using to compare to the Maghreb?

Also, how are you planning on linking in the synoptic side of the unit into your answer, structurally? IE must you relate each point you make with something synoptic?

Thanks!
    You can just mention in certain parts, for example, how climate change is affecting/will affect development or tourism (link to Unit 1) or you can talk about their water scarcity, or energy security in the case of somewhere like Algeria where 95% of export earnings are from oil and gas.

ReputationRep:
    Reasons for the development gap in the Maghreb region. (14 marks)
    -Political:
    geopolitical tensions cause a lack of economic and politcal intergration within the region and policy differences cause lack of clarity
    terrorism cause lack of FDI and Tourism! Reduces the "connectivity" of the place to the rest of the world (globalisation) and reduces likelyhood of becoming a superpower due to lack of connections
    Civil wars
    - Economic:
    Lack of general money due to debt and ! Lack of money means that theres a lack of money to spend on new technologies Eg GM drought resistant crops
    Economies highly dependant on petroleum= This increases FDI but its unsustainable to depend on just one income
    And Peak Oil may occur - Energy insecurity

-Social
    Lack of womens rights means that less are educated and unable to work
    high unemployment rate reduces the amount of flow of money within country
    high migration rate= Brain drain- lack of educated workers so the economy is less likely to become diversified and developed
    -Environmental
    climate= Arid = water scarcity= Water conflicts
    causes desertification= harder to grow crops-- causes lack of biodiversity in ecoregions= lack of tourism
    dependancy on fossil groundwater= unsustainable as it is nonrenewable and causes salt water incursion= which could further increase politcal tensions and pollute ecoregions
    Global warming worsens the desertification= more problems for agriculture

What else to include or removee???? any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelineG)
    Reasons for the development gap in the Maghreb region. (14 marks)
    -Political:
    geopolitical tensions cause a lack of economic and politcal intergration within the region and policy differences cause lack of clarity
    terrorism cause lack of FDI and Tourism! Reduces the "connectivity" of the place to the rest of the world (globalisation) and reduces likelyhood of becoming a superpower due to lack of connections
    Civil wars
    - Economic:
    Lack of general money due to debt and ! Lack of money means that theres a lack of money to spend on new technologies Eg GM drought resistant crops
    Economies highly dependant on petroleum= This increases FDI but its unsustainable to depend on just one income
    And Peak Oil may occur - Energy insecurity

-Social
    Lack of womens rights means that less are educated and unable to work
    high unemployment rate reduces the amount of flow of money within country
    high migration rate= Brain drain- lack of educated workers so the economy is less likely to become diversified and developed
    -Environmental
    climate= Arid = water scarcity= Water conflicts
    causes desertification= harder to grow crops-- causes lack of biodiversity in ecoregions= lack of tourism
    dependancy on fossil groundwater= unsustainable as it is nonrenewable and causes salt water incursion= which could further increase politcal tensions and pollute ecoregions
    Global warming worsens the desertification= more problems for agriculture

What else to include or removee???? any suggestions?
    I hope this powerpoint helps
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: ppt Reasons for the development gap in the Maghreb.ppt (96.5 KB, 598 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelic03)
    on the front page of the exam (if in pdf format, there should be a paper clip. Click on it for the resource booklet
    than you sooo much!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done a mock of this exam yet... how much does everyone tend to write for each question?
    And how have people split the time up for each question/section?
    I know its going to be different for everyone... but rough ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englica)
    I did a mock the other day and almost had enough time.

Yes, you do have to write fast, but you have to do that in almost every exam so it shouldn't feel too different.

The timing actually goes quite slowly because you are writing about so many different things. when I got to the Maghreb stuff, I just felt I couldnt be bothered. hope it doesnt happen in the exam though haha
    I did a mock but it was only for section A part and i finished it just in time.
    That's true! Just probably feels like more because they're all essays.

Yeah haha im worried that will happen too! Dont know whether it would be best to do the maghreb stuff first or not

ReputationRep:
    Hey,,

could people give me advice on what to write for futures for Maghreb???

section B is freaking me out ............ so bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blisssy)

Thanks!
    Litteratly, all you need to say is....
    an economical disadvantage to tourism is seasonal employment as seen in spain.
    An economical disadvantaget to tourism is leakages as seen in Thailand in View1
    An economic disadvantage to remittances is a brain drain as seen in Poland.

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing energy and techno-fix??

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think i'm doing energy and tech fix but there is just SO much to remember!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any ideas on how to link the core periphery theory with the Maghreb? and also does anybody have any examples of aid in the area?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but can anyone explain to me the lay out of the exam, I have no idea.

And whats this about picking two themes, you mean i can just learn 2 themes?!?!

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.