Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic watch

• View Poll Results: What topic is the synoptic part of the paper going to be on?
    Energy security
    4.92%
    Water conflicts
    8.20%
    Biodiversity
    1.64%
    Superpowers
    4.92%
    Development
    55.74%
    The technological fix
    24.59%

ReputationRep:
    http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/24/10/46761560.pdf
    this has some useful things about sustainability for vision 2010

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShootingStars18)
    Does anyone know if we have to link the Maghreb to other case studies e.g migration in Jamaica or tourism in the Masai mara??
    I was told to link it to other case studies, like as comparisons.. but to make sure you dont go off on a tangent describing the case study in detail, but using other case studies will bring in other units which make it synoptic

ReputationRep:
    What kinda timing is everyone aiming for? an hour on Maghreb then 1.5 hours to do the rest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scu)
    Thankyou so much for this, really helped
    With the synopticity element is everybody making the links really clear by saying something like " this also links in with biodiversity as it shows ...." or do you not think we have to make the links that clear?
    Not that clear, just show that you have the knowledge by using it in a normal sentence

ReputationRep:
    Im just trying some practice questions, for tech fix,
    1) The development of technology is a possible response to future resource shortages. Assess the possible costs and benefits of this approach.
    Im think the whole solar panels, wind turbines etc. with the examples of india but not affordable for all? or is it going down the whole gm crops to help with food shortages, emails mean no paper, high speed rail more efficient? But i have no idea what else to write, any ideas?
    Also
    2) Assess the view that economic development is not possible without appropriate technologies.
    I guess e.g bangalore
    but again i dont know what to write so any help would be appreciated.
    thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Need quick help do i need to revise all bridging the development gap from the text book? and do i just make notes on the resource book and revise them.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone have a go at answering a question about Key players in the Maghreb for me?

Such as Who are the key players in the development of the Maghreb (10)
    Or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben05)
    What kinda timing is everyone aiming for? an hour on Maghreb then 1.5 hours to do the rest?
    Hey so its suggested to spend 80 mins on Section A (15 on the 10 mark and 25 on the 15 mark, so 40 for each question) and 70 on Section B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxgoodrum)
    Could anyone have a go at answering a question about Key players in the Maghreb for me?

Or something
    Examine the role of the different players involved in the Maghreb region (14)
    What impact could the Arab Maghreb Union have on the development of the area? (10)

These were posted from someone else earlier in the feed, hope they help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxgoodrum)

Or something
    China, France, NGO's, Terrorists, Leaders, IGO's, TRade Unions. Just look at the +ive and _ive of each

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranjeet123)
    Need quick help do i need to revise all bridging the development gap from the text book? and do i just make notes on the resource book and revise them.
    Thanks
    I don't think you'll need to revise the entire chapter, just look at the important bits such as the theories (Rostow, Frank) and this should be okay. As its synoptic it wont just focus on this chapter, however it is worth flicking through to be on the safe side! Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scu)
    Thankyou so much for this, really helped
    With the synopticity element is everybody making the links really clear by saying something like " this also links in with biodiversity as it shows ...." or do you not think we have to make the links that clear?
    I dont know what the right or wrong thing is but I am going to just put it in and hope they understand what I am saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRockMaster)
    I dont know what the right or wrong thing is but I am going to just put it in and hope they understand what I am saying.
    But don't put the words "synoptic" or "i am being synoptic", Cameron Dunn told us not to haha.
    Global warming/ climate change is always a good synoptic link and i suppose with the Maghreb, rebranding would be good if you did that. I think saying something links with something else is probably great, or something like "this is also demonstrated in.."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShootingStars18)
    Hi, does anyone have any technological fix Case Studies. I really struggling to find any
    Techno Fix Case Studies:
    1. Green Revolution 1960's / Gene Revolution 1990's
    2. China's Techno mega projects: 3 Gorges, South-North Water Transfer, Shanghai Maglev, Green Wall (all show top-down projects because of China's desire to quickly modernise the economy).
    3. Geoengineering suggested projects: Sulphur Aerosols, Space Mirrors, Synthetic Trees (show how we are trying to use technology to fix all our C02 emissions).
    4. Sri Lanken Pumpkin Tank (bottom up techno fix to Sri Lanken water insecurity).
    5. India - a mobile nation (example of leapfrogging and how gap between developing & developed countries technology is narrowing).
    6. Death by DDT (unforseen negative consequence of techno).

All are from the Edexcel textbook and useful and hopefully should be able to apply at least 2 of the 6 to the question that comes up.

ReputationRep:
    My revision is this forum

ReputationRep:
    What would people write if they ask to write about more general options to development for the Maghreb? Apart from tourism and joining global groupings I can't think of anything else I would write about D: xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizziePiz)
    But don't put the words "synoptic" or "i am being synoptic", Cameron Dunn told us not to haha.
    Global warming/ climate change is always a good synoptic link and i suppose with the Maghreb, rebranding would be good if you did that. I think saying something links with something else is probably great, or something like "this is also demonstrated in.."
    Thanks!

Yeah I am trying to be synoptic as possible.
    Was it in the special lecture thing in London? I missed that...darn!
    Thanks for the help though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becccam)
    Im just trying some practice questions, for tech fix,
    1) The development of technology is a possible response to future resource shortages. Assess the possible costs and benefits of this approach.
    Im think the whole solar panels, wind turbines etc. with the examples of india but not affordable for all? or is it going down the whole gm crops to help with food shortages, emails mean no paper, high speed rail more efficient? But i have no idea what else to write, any ideas?
    Also
    2) Assess the view that economic development is not possible without appropriate technologies.
    I guess e.g bangalore
    but again i dont know what to write so any help would be appreciated.
    thanks!!
    Thanks for the sample questions!

For this I would interpret: Solar panels (renewables in general) to replace depleting fossil fuels

GM/GMO to allow a sustainable approach to food production as well as aiding the food shortages
    Antiretro virals and newer developing AID/HIV drugs to help the poor

Then possibly go into the geoengineering and global warming and refer back to the fossil fuels.

The internet and other types of digital technology such as the OLPC XO-1 laptops.

How technology such a CO2 sequeration can be stored in used oil and gas reserves to drive the extra oil out. Even unconventional sources such as oil shales.

One of the main ones I can think of is developing a new technolgical fix to tackle to future of water shortages. I am not sure whether they like linking in with water and tech fix but water is a vital resource and is depleting fast. to accommodate for this increasing shortage new technologies can be developed. For example we could say th general existing tech e.g. dams, reservoirs etc, or we could expand and go into a few example such as watertech to secure fresh water supplies. This is important because the basis of society is dependent on fresh water for many reasons.

Here is info on Weathertec...a technological research facility based on harvesting humidity (19% of global warming is the result of water vapour).

Since mankind can no longer take abundant supplies of fresh water for granted, our brightest minds, energy and resources must focus on finding solutions today. For our planet’s future, innovative plans and the most sophisticated technologies are needed both to tackle water shortages that lead to food crises, and to protect the environment by producing more clean, green hydro energy. Therefore, we have both the opportunity – and the moral obligation – to develop, use and invest in these solutions. WEATHERTEC™ is the new leading-edge technology to secure the future supply of freshwater in many areas of need. It also has other applications to reduce some of the most negative impacts of weather.

I guess you could also talk about the type of futures as well: Population and resource relationship: Malthus or Boserup

Here I think the emphasis can be applied to three things: Digital technology (Digital access index and link it with GDP), basically you will find a trend that the higher the GDP, the higher the DAI.

ReputationRep:
    Heyya ,, Thank you to everyone posting on this thread ) what are everyones parallel examples?? I dont know what to do the only ones i can this of is relating the rise in tourism to the way in kenya? Also the oil to the places in the middle east??

xxx thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi all - thanks for the thread, it's been really helpful for revision.

And at times made me scared that I don't know anything!

I was just wondering - and yes I know it's probably a stupid question - do we have to refer to what has happened recently in the region (Libya etc..), as I'd rather not have to

I just got so confused by what my teacher had said....

Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 1, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.