Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic watch

• View Poll Results: What topic is the synoptic part of the paper going to be on?
    Energy security
    4.92%
    Water conflicts
    8.20%
    Biodiversity
    1.64%
    Superpowers
    4.92%
    Development
    55.74%
    The technological fix
    24.59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.I)
    Same I have chemistry tomorrow too
    So far, Ive have had 4 exams in the last 3 days (including today)
    At least they'll all be over soon!

ReputationRep:
    i was going for environmentalists vs politicians over whether to exploit the oil snads in the artic national wildlife refuge, and different countries fighting over the fossil fuels under the artic seabed, e.g russia planting a flag

ReputationRep:
    For part b of biodiversity I wrote about conservation and preservation (which I learnt from biology).

However, the top-down and small scale idea is very good too. I wish I had done that now. Oh well, I thought the paper overall wasn't too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk8inamy)
    At least they'll all be over soon!
    Opps I meant Ive had 3 in the past 2 days, i didnt have an exam on sunday :rofl:

Thanks, just 7 more to get through -_-!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Courage Wolf)
    anyone do water?
    part b was horrible
    I did:
    - middle east and river jordan
    - Okavango Delta/ river
    - Nile

All in detail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ECHF)
    I did:
    - middle east and river jordan
    - Okavango Delta/ river
    - Nile

All in detail
    sounds good, i did three rivers as well. but i feel like i should done something other than a rivers:confused:

ReputationRep:
    for superpowers part b, would they penalise me for talking about theories which aren't in the text book - Kondratiev's wave theory for example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mischka_tay)
    what did you write for energy b?

I did USA Iraq, Russia/Ukrain/Europe over gas and an internal greenpeace and the Arctic... actually make one up about farmers and developers in Cali.. like whether to use the land for agriculture or build a solar power station. =s who knows sounds realistic to me... good that edexcel doesnt penalize for wrong stuff lol.
    I did arctic russia vs usa. Then Oil shales vs environmentalists. Italy nuclear vs protestors. Middle east vs usa vs china as possible. then Iraq and motives over oil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxgoodrum)
    Errrm aha i didn't write about that, i wrote about the difference between large scalle top down management from people like WWF and millenium devel goals etc. compared to local small scalle management of mangrove swamps.

Really wans't sure thoguh
    I did a similar thing to you, i wrote about Convention on Biodiversity i.e. top-down UN type things V bottom-up community managed Chao Mai in Thailand- you think that's ok? i got a bit confused about what the question was asking for ?

ReputationRep:
    Messed up techno question. Came home and thought what an easy question...guess it was the pressure. Ahhh ohwell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Courage Wolf)
    sounds good, i did three rivers as well. but i feel like i should done something other than a rivers:confused:
    I couldn't really think of an aquifer ... maybe the aquifer spanning across India and Bangladesh, but that wasnt a case study of mine, and I didn't know it in detail. I'm sure it won't matter that much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.I)

I'm sorry I couldnt answer this question sooner! Hope your exam went well!
    !

Hey no worries, I got someone else to download it and send it too me

Thanks for the worry though

I think It went well actually, it's the second time I took this paper, last time I got a low B and this time I feel more confident in the work I wrote, so here's hoping for an A

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else do Biodiversity and Water conflicts?
    What case studies did you use?

ReputationRep:
    Hate to say this but have you looked at the 10 points for exam discussion thing at the top of the page? It says for Edexcel exams you aren't meant to talk about it till 4.30am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sequences)
    considering how late i started revising went pretty well

section B questions weren't particularly nice along with part B of superpowers, but the energy question along with part A of superpower were beauties !
    Energy and Superpowers A were good, but B on superpowers. I hated that! What did you put? Im being sadistic and want to know how bad I failed haha

(Original post by sequences)
    considering how late i started revising went pretty well

section B questions weren't particularly nice along with part B of superpowers, but the energy question along with part A of superpower were beauties !

ReputationRep:
    Reading everyone's posts are making me really worry now! Ah, i needed 90% to get an A* and I completely flopped it! Goodbye, A* hello U! I had no idea what to write on the theories of development, I only skim read that bit Really dropped marks there, and the freaking out about running out of time for the last part of Maghreb meant I wrote a load of rubbish What did people write for B & C for the Maghreb questions?
    Hope everyone else did great!

:bubbles:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottieee)
    Did anyone else do Biodiversity and Water conflicts?
    What case studies did you use?
    I did, I think I used colorado river, israel and syria, and turkey GAP scheme for water then gene banks and marine protected areas for biodiversity.. dont think i did too well but luckily i only need 56% to get an A overall..

ReputationRep:
    environmental change - impacts on economic development and ecological wellbeing?
    What is there to say about the Maghreb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmyl30)
    environmental change - impacts on economic development and ecological wellbeing?
    What is there to say about the Maghreb?
    e.g. Water scarcity (as a result of desertification, over-extraction of sources etc) will mean less crop production and as a result there will be food shortages/ loss of income from exports. Ecological wellbeing: loss of biodiversity in the region, species, trees etc - become unattractive.

Ahh, why couldn't I have included things like that in the actual exam?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowlo18)
    I did, I think I used colorado river, israel and syria, and turkey GAP scheme for water then gene banks and marine protected areas for biodiversity.. dont think i did too well but luckily i only need 56% to get an A overall..
    So relieved to see your post, used the same case studys for water conflicts

Can I just ask how you worked out the percentage you need for a grade overall - I've seen loads of people do this, but I don't know where to begin without a grade :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 1, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.