Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic Watch

• View Poll Results: What topic is the synoptic part of the paper going to be on?
    Energy security
    4.92%
    Water conflicts
    8.20%
    Biodiversity
    1.64%
    Superpowers
    4.92%
    Development
    55.74%
    The technological fix
    24.59%

ReputationRep:
    Four days without a post, i reckon this thread could do with some new geography related impetus!

One interesting thing we were told to focus on was that all of the tourism projects are funded by countries outsude of the region (neocolonialism) and that the development at Taghazout has actually been cancelled. This could mean that Morocco overestimated its capacity for tourism or that the instability of the region has had a negative affect on tourism projections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billiethekid)
    Four days without a post, i reckon this thread could do with some new geography related impetus!

One interesting thing we were told to focus on was that all of the tourism projects are funded by countries outsude of the region (neocolonialism) and that the development at Taghazout has actually been cancelled. This could mean that Morocco overestimated its capacity for tourism or that the instability of the region has had a negative affect on tourism projections
    Thanks....I have some info but nobody seems to be posting!

Interesting idea. I have a few ideas which I will get on here tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billiethekid)

Do you have a link to something to back that up? Not slating you, just curious to read up on it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any notes or good info??

Anything will do as my teachers have just started due to underplanning......Please, I need an A and at this rate I will not even get 50% for section B! please help guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THEALB10N)
    Do you have a link to something to back that up? Not slating you, just curious to read up on it.
    Our teacher went on holiday to Taghazout during Easter (quite a coincidence)

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...%26prmd%3Divns

its translated from french but you can get the jist of it

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling revising geography as a whole
    The more I do past papers and read the mark schemes, I see my lack of knowledge and I end up lost on what I'm supposed to be revising
    I also need an A for geography which is stressing me out...

If anyone could give me general tips on ways to revise the topics it would be grateful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccandy)
    I'm really struggling revising geography as a whole
    The more I do past papers and read the mark schemes, I see my lack of knowledge and I end up lost on what I'm supposed to be revising
    I also need an A for geography which is stressing me out...

If anyone could give me general tips on ways to revise the topics it would be grateful.
    Seems like were on the same boat

What units you doing? both?

I think the only reccomendation I can give you would be to get an A3 paper and do mind maps of each topic. Literally go through the study guids and get one case study for every topic. For example if you are doing water, have a case study ready for transfer schemes, restoration schemes etc. Then its just practice and hope!

ReputationRep:
    This may be of some help:
    In the EdExcel A2 Geography textbook, chapter 7 focuses on synopticity and measuring themes and links. Our teacher has just been over some of it, which provided some helpful notes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRockMaster)
    Seems like were on the same boat

What units you doing? both?

I think the only reccomendation I can give you would be to get an A3 paper and do mind maps of each topic. Literally go through the study guids and get one case study for every topic. For example if you are doing water, have a case study ready for transfer schemes, restoration schemes etc. Then its just practice and hope!
    Yeah, doing both unit 3 and 4.

I'm doing energy and water... if I have time a little bit of biodiversity.
    I'm going through the specification and making notes for each topic.
    And yeah, that sounds like a good idea... I guess I have to stop being lazy and get some good old case studies.

ReputationRep:
    Here is a good PDF report on the Maghreb

http://www.piie.com/publications/cha.../02iie4266.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know what the grade boundaries are for this A-level? I need at least a C overall, and I have no idea what I need in this exam to get one!

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, the pre-release does not mention anything about the vision 2020 project, would it be worth talking about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRockMaster)
    Just wondering, the pre-release does not mention anything about the vision 2020 project, would it be worth talking about it?
    Our teacher said that the pre release would have been made quite a bit in advance- I think one of the links at the back of the booklet was supposed to go to the vision 2010 project, but that didn't work, so I think any information you have about vision 2020 would be good to mention when talking about the future of the Maghreb, or the current steps Morocco is taking to develop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSxC)
    Hi, does anyone know what the grade boundaries are for this A-level? I need at least a C overall, and I have no idea what I need in this exam to get one!
    I think overall it is roughly 80% for an A, 70 for a B, 60 for a C etc. but here is a link to the Edexcel grade boundaries for this January:

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20w...(Home-Int).pdf

For Unit 3 you would have needed 53/90 to get a C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esther*)
    Our teacher said that the pre release would have been made quite a bit in advance- I think one of the links at the back of the booklet was supposed to go to the vision 2010 project, but that didn't work, so I think any information you have about vision 2020 would be good to mention when talking about the future of the Maghreb, or the current steps Morocco is taking to develop.
    Hey thanks....yeah its a bit annoying that the darn link does not work. But after considerable amounts of searching I have found this link which is v.good.
    http://www.moroccoproperty1.com/morocco-vision-2010.php

ReputationRep:
    http://www.b-e-x.com/downloads/Omar%...%20Morocco.pdf

http://www.gpl.com.au/features/PROM/...%20Morocco.pdf

http://www.locumconsulting.com/pdf/L...ernPromise.pdf

last one is v.good. Surely the last question must be on the sustainability of Plan Azur

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the questions to be something like this:

1) explain why there is a devlopment gap?
    2) evaluate how tourism could bridge the development gap
    3) assess whether tourism should go ahead in Morocco

what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I think its a bit unlikely for 2 questions to be focused on tourism. One though should be about it... something like will tourism be a way out for Maghreb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophia Treanor)
    I was thinking the questions to be something like this:

1) explain why there is a devlopment gap?
    2) evaluate how tourism could bridge the development gap
    3) assess whether tourism should go ahead in Morocco

what do you think?
    (Original post by mischka_tay)
    I think its a bit unlikely for 2 questions to be focused on tourism. One though should be about it... something like will tourism be a way out for Maghreb
    Agreed......I think the first two are right (2nd being more focused on Plan Azur) and then the last one maybe on the future for the Maghreb I dont know :confused:

ReputationRep:
    number 2 could be on trade blocks i think. AMU, Union for the Med GAFTA ect. And how theu could help the area. Aswell, is it always 12 14 14 marks ?!?! or can they change ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.