Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic watch

• View Poll Results: What topic is the synoptic part of the paper going to be on?
    Energy security
    4.92%
    Water conflicts
    8.20%
    Biodiversity
    1.64%
    Superpowers
    4.92%
    Development
    55.74%
    The technological fix
    24.59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben05)
    number 2 could be on trade blocks i think. AMU, Union for the Med GAFTA ect. And how theu could help the area. Aswell, is it always 12 14 14 marks ?!?! or can they change ?
    It can and does change from year to year as they focus the article of different things in each synoptic paper. Personally, I think that there will be a 'large' question, either on the roles of tourism or trade in closing the development gap (14-16 marks?) and a 'medium' size question on the impact of development on Plan Azur (12-14 marks?).

As for a smaller question; something between 10-12 marks on neocolonialism - perhaps linked to france. Alternatively, reasons for an existing development gap would be quite nice, given the recent uprisings sweeping across the Middle East.

:confused:

--

I think that if the second question is on trade or similar topic, then the 3rd question will be on the future or impact of tourism related aspect - possible environmental consequences. Vice versa if the 2nd question is on tourism...

ReputationRep:
    What are people doing about the parallel examples part? Our teacher said it's important to use parallel examples to make comparisons and back up your points etc.

So far I think I'll be using the Asian Tigers to show how it is possible to overcome barriers to development and highlight how they have achieved sustainable economic growth. And then also Malaysia and Spain to talk about the impacts of tourism there.

Does anyone else have any other ideas for parallel examples?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itmightbefriday)
    What are people doing about the parallel examples part? Our teacher said it's important to use parallel examples to make comparisons and back up your points etc.

So far I think I'll be using the Asian Tigers to show how it is possible to overcome barriers to development and highlight how they have achieved sustainable economic growth. And then also Malaysia and Spain to talk about the impacts of tourism there.

there's a parallel example for migration and remittances, with Jamaica - look for articles about it online "Economic migrants moving to Europe, send home money which improves economy. (ADV: brings money in, DISAD: brain drain – loss of workers)

ReputationRep:
    also, I found this really helpful - it gives lots of info generally about the Maghreb as a whole as well as lots about agriculture specifically
    http://portail2.reseau-concept.net/U...iers/ANP16.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itmightbefriday)

Make it up? haha i have been trying to do some research into this. Defo show how spain as re-invested money from tourism. Show Asian Tigers to show core and periphery works in Franks model.

ReputationRep:
    Last lesson of college today only had like two lesson on the Maghreb section B......not impressed!

Also leaves me with having to mark my own unit 4 retake reports!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRockMaster)
    Last lesson of college today only had like two lesson on the Maghreb section B......not impressed!

Also leaves me with having to mark my own unit 4 retake reports!
    Last full day today .... spent our lesson listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp5MO77bFA4 :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben05)
    Last full day today .... spent our lesson listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp5MO77bFA4 :curious:
    Nice....I loved it! Too catchy though

ReputationRep:
    love how my teacher just abandoned us with the synoptic section thank god i only need a D in this one to get my A Phewwwwwwwwwww

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone revising the pre-release as a whole?
    Could somebody give me a guideline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccandy)
    How is everyone revising the pre-release as a whole?
    Could somebody give me a guideline
    just go through it an analysis it. Google any words that you are unfamiliar with or organisations that are mentioned get examples off the WFF of endangered species. Use your head to think about what new tourism will bring to Morocco. Research the tensions in North Africa stuff like that. I made a powerpoint of stuff and then just wrote on my advanced information the rest. Find out how its got a development gap.

Young population cause riots in Algeria about food prices, unemployment, high house prices...

young population who are educated leave and those who are not educated remain and there are a lack of unskilled jobs for them.

Al Quadea causes problems for tourism. No one wants to go to a potentially dangerous place.

The countries are in civil war, military coupes and war between each other makes unity in trade blocs difficult.

Lack of diversifying exports leads to an insecure future as onces oil runs out, how will the economy grow?

The Maghreb has refused foreign direct investment which would have helped with diversifying exports etc

Low percentage of women in work force means north Africa don't share a similar culture to other world countries. FDI is unlikely to come if there isn't a potential work force there. They are making their own development gap by not allowing equality between people. They are falling behind socially.

Hope this gives you a few ideas

ReputationRep:
    From what I've read of old mark schemes, the examiners also seem to like external named examples...e.g. - if a question on tourism comes up, sustainable tourism in the Masai Mara, Kenya could be mentioned.

Statistics don't go much amiss, either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drtux)
    Here it is

http://www.scribd.com/doc/54701353

You will have to create an account I think and you may have to upload a random doc to download it but you can simply delete it after.

Ben
    cheers thanks a lot for this

ReputationRep:
    My friend gave me the link to this website- i have found it really helpful, with loads of links to maghreb stuff, as well as some possible questions:

http://geographyblog.eu/wp/?tag=maghreb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade-Emma)
    just go through it an analysis it. Google any words that you are unfamiliar with or organisations that are mentioned get examples off the WFF of endangered species. Use your head to think about what new tourism will bring to Morocco. Research the tensions in North Africa stuff like that. I made a powerpoint of stuff and then just wrote on my advanced information the rest. Find out how its got a development gap.

Young population cause riots in Algeria about food prices, unemployment, high house prices...

young population who are educated leave and those who are not educated remain and there are a lack of unskilled jobs for them.

Al Quadea causes problems for tourism. No one wants to go to a potentially dangerous place.

The countries are in civil war, military coupes and war between each other makes unity in trade blocs difficult.

Lack of diversifying exports leads to an insecure future as onces oil runs out, how will the economy grow?

The Maghreb has refused foreign direct investment which would have helped with diversifying exports etc

Low percentage of women in work force means north Africa don't share a similar culture to other world countries. FDI is unlikely to come if there isn't a potential work force there. They are making their own development gap by not allowing equality between people. They are falling behind socially.

Hope this gives you a few ideas
    Would you be able to post that on here by any chance. Missed out like a week of revision and teachers left us completely hanging on this section...need an A so any help would be much appreciated!

Tnx in advance

ReputationRep:
    haha ermm its a bit long its not too bad once you get started. Just write little notes around the text. I would be happy to help you if you have questions and need help but I can't type it because its too long I'm really sorry haha. I will give you suggestions though ask me anything you like if you don't understand something x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade-Emma)
    haha ermm its a bit long its not too bad once you get started. Just write little notes around the text. I would be happy to help you if you have questions and need help but I can't type it because its too long I'm really sorry haha. I will give you suggestions though ask me anything you like if you don't understand something x
    Is there no chance of attaching either?
    Sorry to be a pain but its that desperate...
    If its not too long then maybe its small enough to be attached, there should be a paper clip when you reply to the message with quote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRockMaster)
    Is there no chance of attaching either?
    Sorry to be a pain but its that desperate...
    If its not too long then maybe its small enough to be attached, there should be a paper clip when you reply to the message with quote
    Yeh, sorry too but I'm really struggling and this would really help me

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i found this helpful on why the Maghreb is experiencing a development gap:

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...w=1440&bih=805

Its the page on the link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShootingStars18)
    Hi, i found this helpful on why the Maghreb is experiencing a development gap:

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...w=1440&bih=805

Its the page on the link
    its really good! some one specifically made it for our unit... thanks a lot for the link!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 1, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.