Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic watch

• View Poll Results: What topic is the synoptic part of the paper going to be on?
    Energy security
    4.92%
    Water conflicts
    8.20%
    Biodiversity
    1.64%
    Superpowers
    4.92%
    Development
    55.74%
    The technological fix
    24.59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc-123)
    also was hoping someone could help with this, how would you guys go about answering this question:
    'Explain the role of global groupings in the development of the Maghreb'

thanks in advance
    Well I would think that they would not go away from what they have suggested in the pre-release so if this question does come up which I think is unlickly I would refer to the many trade groups such as:

AMU, Barcelona Process and GAFTA. Then you could go on for synoptic links into OPEC and then international consumers in terms of Oil.

In evaluation of the groups within the Maghreb I would say they will allow greater economic, social and political intergration within the region thus facilitating greater growth for economic trade.

Closer relations with the EU will foster the growth of businesses within Maghreb. Smaller markets of Maghreb will be allowed better access into the larger developed markets of the Maghreb, allowing them to develop and attract FDI.
    However this could lead to a dependency upon developed nations or create a Eurocentric world dominated by European markets within the Maghreb as well as EU itself.

However...

The Maghreb region is being pulled in many directions:
    GAFTA- free trade bloc spanning the Arab world
    Barcelona process- pulling the EU towards Europe
    Community of Sahel-Saharan states- to create a trade bloc spanning North Africa (except Algeria)
    African Union- Except Morocco
    This pull from several regions is creating further political tension in the Maghreb due to political instability. Some nations may choose to go towards Europe, however some may choose to pledge towards the Arab world.
    This increases tension amongst Maghreb nations.
    Also can comment about how the Trade blocs are not working specifically for the Maghreb due to lack of diplomatic relations between member nation within the Maghreb…Morocco and Algeri, this problem arises for AMU and BP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRockMaster)
    Well I would think that they would not go away from what they have suggested in the pre-release so if this question does come up which I think is unlickly I would refer to the many trade groups such as:

AMU, Barcelona Process and GAFTA. Then you could go on for synoptic links into OPEC and then international consumers in terms of Oil.

In evaluation of the groups within the Maghreb I would say they will allow greater economic, social and political intergration within the region thus facilitating greater growth for economic trade.

Closer relations with the EU will foster the growth of businesses within Maghreb. Smaller markets of Maghreb will be allowed better access into the larger developed markets of the Maghreb, allowing them to develop and attract FDI.
    However this could lead to a dependency upon developed nations or create a Eurocentric world dominated by European markets within the Maghreb as well as EU itself.

However...

The Maghreb region is being pulled in many directions:
    GAFTA- free trade bloc spanning the Arab world
    Barcelona process- pulling the EU towards Europe
    Community of Sahel-Saharan states- to create a trade bloc spanning North Africa (except Algeria)
    African Union- Except Morocco
    This pull from several regions is creating further political tension in the Maghreb due to political instability. Some nations may choose to go towards Europe, however some may choose to pledge towards the Arab world.
    This increases tension amongst Maghreb nations.
    Also can comment about how the Trade blocs are not working specifically for the Maghreb due to lack of diplomatic relations between member nation within the Maghreb…Morocco and Algeri, this problem arises for AMU and BP.
    thank you! i was doubtful about this question coming up..but this is really helpful anyway, just in case

what sorts of questions do you think will come up?

ReputationRep:
    Well I am going to use The Green and Gene revolutions for GM
    The North-South water project for China
    Solar Panels and Mobile phones for leapfrogging
    HIV ARV for Tech fix link with development as well as Leapfrogging
    Talking about different techniques available to battle climate change e.g. Geo-engineering
    Thankyouu! (:
    What sort of question do you think is going to come up for tech fix?
    In previous papers it's mentioned the internet and global warming. So do you think it's unlikely to ask about those again?

I'm hoping for something water related so I can use the China north to south case study!

I have a feeling they may ask about transport for some reason... what do you think? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miahearts)
    Thankyouu! (:
    What sort of question do you think is going to come up for tech fix?
    In previous papers it's mentioned the internet and global warming. So do you think it's unlikely to ask about those again?

I'm hoping for something water related so I can use the China north to south case study!

I have a feeling they may ask about transport for some reason... what do you think? x
    Some extra I found from notes are....

For inequality in access to technology you could talk about the DAI and how some countries have surpassed this by developing Internet cities such as Silicon Valley in California and Dubai Knowledge city. The you could compare it too places like rural USA where even though it is an MEDC some places lack appropriate internat connection. There was an article we looked at on fibre optics.

Top-down tech apart from leapfrogging I think you could also do water transfer and Desalination.

Tech convergence- Tata Nano, cheap and affordable therefore increasing access

impacts...GW- Geo engineering such as Carbon sequestration.

TBH I have not thought about it
    I would love a question on Leapfrogging as well as something related to inequality. But as I say for me its still early days, Just had my geology exam and did not think I did as expected so not happy...

But anyway what other topics are you doing? apart from Maghreb of course

ReputationRep:
    Some extra I found from notes are....

For inequality in access to technology you could talk about the DAI and how some countries have surpassed this by developing Internet cities such as Silicon Valley in California and Dubai Knowledge city. The you could compare it too places like rural USA where even though it is an MEDC some places lack appropriate internat connection. There was an article we looked at on fibre optics.

Top-down tech apart from leapfrogging I think you could also do water transfer and Desalination.

Tech convergence- Tata Nano, cheap and affordable therefore increasing access

impacts...GW- Geo engineering such as Carbon sequestration.

TBH I have not thought about it
    I would love a question on Leapfrogging as well as something related to inequality. But as I say for me its still early days, Just had my geology exam and did not think I did as expected so not happy...

But anyway what other topics are you doing? apart from Maghreb of course
    Aww thankyou, you're so helpful!
    I bet your geology exam went better than you think it did, or just hope that everyone else found it hard too, and so the grade boundaries will be lowered?! I'm sure you did well, you seem to know what you're talking about in geography anyway (:
    Umm i'm revising water and tech fix mostly and just hoping the questions will be nice. Bit of a risk but I just cant remember enough stuff to do more than 2 (3 if you include maghreb...)!

ReputationRep:
    :five:
    Aww thankyou, you're so helpful!
    I bet your geology exam went better than you think it did, or just hope that everyone else found it hard too, and so the grade boundaries will be lowered?! I'm sure you did well, you seem to know what you're talking about in geography anyway (:
    Umm i'm revising water and tech fix mostly and just hoping the questions will be nice. Bit of a risk but I just cant remember enough stuff to do more than 2 (3 if you include maghreb...)!

Hey thats what I am doing too...lol Every one is doing three but Like you said if we know the topic inside out then there is no way we could slip up right?

ReputationRep:
    anyone have anything on aid in the maghreb?

ReputationRep:

Hey thats what I am doing too...lol Every one is doing three but Like you said if we know the topic inside out then there is no way we could slip up right?
    I really hope so! I'm not really at the point where I know them inside out yet though... And it's only 5 days until the exam Stresssful stuff. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelic03)
    anyone have anything on aid in the maghreb?
    I've only really looked at the HIPC stuff... x

ReputationRep:
    I've only really looked at the HIPC stuff... x
    ooh... for HIPC i found that only Mauritania is entitled to the scheme, none of the other countries are So I figured that other methods that it might be useful to know more about why the other countries are in debt and things...

also, it might be something to consider when looking at barriers to development i thought...

but if you havent looked into it, and there isnt much in the booklet, we dont need to know it..?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.....Sorry for those who e-mailed me, but I have found a way of putting it up onto here There is another one on reducing the development gap that I will try to get on here.

Hope this helps
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: ppt Reasons for the development gap in the Maghreb.ppt (747.0 KB, 495 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade-Emma)
    I've made some notes on the Maghreb if anyone wants them just let me know xx
    I would love your notes please! X

ReputationRep:
    ooh... for HIPC i found that only Mauritania is entitled to the scheme, none of the other countries are So I figured that other methods that it might be useful to know more about why the other countries are in debt and things...

also, it might be something to consider when looking at barriers to development i thought...

but if you havent looked into it, and there isnt much in the booklet, we dont need to know it..?
    Do you happen to remember where you found out it was only Mauritania receiving it? I'm not sure if it will come up as a question or not. I hope it doesnt. I chose not to focus on it because it was only a small section of the pre release. But that may just mean they didnt include lots of into on it because we were supposed to research it ourselves.. I really dont know! x

ReputationRep:
    what would people suggest is a good plan for this question : "assess the relative importance of named players in the global energy supply"

Any response is cool. short. long. fat. thin. gay. straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaap)
    what would people suggest is a good plan for this question : "assess the relative importance of named players in the global energy supply"

Any response is cool. short. long. fat. thin. gay. straight.

who are the players:

OPEC - their role is increasingly important because of their high bargaining power - they are capable of holding the world powers such as the USA at ransom. Its a cartel - operates in the member countries' interests. Countries must ensure good relations with them since other oil sources are running out, leaving only OPEC with the main oil reserves

China/India - Increasing demand for industry, rising car ownership..etc - competing with developed countries causing the price to rise further

Consumers - as the price of oil rises, they have to pay more for their cars...etc so they have a vested interest in global energy supplies

Pressure Groups - protesting against unconventional oil sources such as tar sands which is increasing becoming an option since the price of oil is rising, thus making tar sands more economically viable. E.g. Greenpeace is due to disrupt BP's tar sand extraction in Canada.

Russia - Arctic exploration and the whole planting the flag to claim the continental shelf

These are a few ideas. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Do you happen to remember where you found out it was only Mauritania receiving it? I'm not sure if it will come up as a question or not. I hope it doesnt. I chose not to focus on it because it was only a small section of the pre release. But that may just mean they didnt include lots of into on it because we were supposed to research it ourselves.. I really dont know! x
    http://www.imf.org/external/np/exr/facts/hipc.htm

scroll down to the table which says which countries qualify...

and tbh i don't know either!

ReputationRep:
    mauritannia also only quantifies for HIPC only as its in 51.9% debt as of 2008 from the pre-release where as the other countries are in debt but have diversified their economy into oil and cmmodities with Algeria and Tourism for Morocco for instance

ReputationRep:
    who are the players:

OPEC - their role is increasingly important because of their high bargaining power - they are capable of holding the world powers such as the USA at ransom. Its a cartel - operates in the member countries' interests. Countries must ensure good relations with them since other oil sources are running out, leaving only OPEC with the main oil reserves

China/India - Increasing demand for industry, rising car ownership..etc - competing with developed countries causing the price to rise further

Consumers - as the price of oil rises, they have to pay more for their cars...etc so they have a vested interest in global energy supplies

Pressure Groups - protesting against unconventional oil sources such as tar sands which is increasing becoming an option since the price of oil is rising, thus making tar sands more economically viable. E.g. Greenpeace is due to disrupt BP's tar sand extraction in Canada.

Russia - Arctic exploration and the whole planting the flag to claim the continental shelf

These are a few ideas. Hope that helps
    AHHHHHHHHHHH you confused me so much because you are right but this thread is for the pre-release so i was thinking why is nothing related to the Maghreb!!

But for this question i would do OPEC, TNC- Gazprom (Russia), Govs- looking at regionally, renewable, and consumers who are using more energy due to standard of living... I dont think u will have time to do pressure groups inless its breif by saying NGOS such as X want to reduce

ReputationRep:
    http://www.imf.org/external/np/exr/facts/hipc.htm

scroll down to the table which says which countries qualify...

and tbh i don't know either!
    Thankyouu!! Wow everyone on this site it so lovely and helpful

ReputationRep:
    Could somebody/anybody please sum up in a sentence or few, what 'technology transfer' is? (In terms of the tech fix section, not the maghreb!) Thankyouu!! x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 1, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.